811 owners with OTA 49% problem read this

It helps to have video in Guide. When 49% shows hit program, look fo rother programming while waiitng for a picture to pop into the window. When it shows hit cancel.

Since I switched 6000 to 811, the OTA sensitivity just dorpped sharply, most of channels gets 49% and no pictures. I have waited for six monthes for their so call "software update" to fix that. Finally, I called Dish last Friday and expressed my concern VERY STRONGLY..... Guess what, they said nothing other then send me two 811s to swap out mine. I should received them on Weds. and will let everyone know if those are better.

Remember when there were no 49% problem? One of the early SW updates broke it. This is a SW problem. The 49% problem came with the update that saved the (formerly) dropped channels when they weren't broadcasting. Before this, there wasn't a 49% problem.

This is when the 49% problem started: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=26290&postcount=14

Problem with P262 12/16/2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used to get my OTA digitals fine. One came in strong registering about 90.

Two others were what I would call medium strength, registering in the 70's. Very seldom if ever have I had a problem receiving them, with both a 6000 and now the 811.

One is what I would call border-line. Usually had good reception but on occasion it would suffer drop-outs.

The new software P262 shows a screen if you tune to a DTV OTA channel that is weak or not found.
Offair digital signal lost.
Please wait, adjust antenna, or select channel up or down.

I am getting this on all digitals except for the one rated at 90 signal strength.

The channels I cannot tune have strengths of 61, 78 and 75.

They fixed the issue of dropping saved channels when they are not tuned, but now it seems there is a threshold to be able to see them.

gpflepsen said:
Remember when there were no 49% problem? One of the early SW updates broke it. This is a SW problem. The 49% problem came with the update that saved the (formerly) dropped channels when they weren't broadcasting. Before this, there wasn't a 49% problem.
No, I don't remember. Until I got my replacement 811, I had always had the 49% problem.

I finally called DISH about getting a replacement for my ailing 811.
I was put through to advanced tech support (by accident i think) and the CSR listened to all of my problems and actually knew what I was talking about on the 49% problem. She said it was a known issue with the 811 and they are "working on a fix."

I also told her about the incorrect channel mapping which she did not understand.

After informing her of my low audio level on the RCA outputs, she agreed to dwap out my 811 with a replacement. I will post back with the performance of the new 811.

One should not have to go through hoops just to watch a Digital OTA channel. This needs to be addressed asap and it appears (at least with my experience with DISH) that this is being addressed.

I have read about issues with the low audio output on the Optical Output but did not think the RCA's were affected. Anybody else have issues with low audio on the RCA's??

Tim

Iceman said:
No, I don't remember. Until I got my replacement 811, I had always had the 49% problem.

Do you recall when you received your first 811 and which SW version it was running when new? The problems seemed to begin with SW version p262. 262 was released about mid December.

New (refurbished) 811 arrived today. Much better performance with the 49% problem. Now only 1 channel maps incorrectly, but they all tune in.

Audio still is very low. I think I will live with it though. Don't feel like going through another crap shoot.

Tim

P.S. Software loaded up 267 this time too!

I am going to try everything I can to optimize for OTA tomorrow. I have an 811 from the first week or shipping, SW 267. Like stated before, I have lived through this problem since 262. 266 and now 267 map more channels but they will not lock. I do live a long way from the signal sources (80+ miles) and use the RS model 190 with their most powerful booster. I have the antenna pointed in the general direction of the source, Topeka. I almost always get the CBS digital (76%) but I cannot lock the ABC. The PBS stations I can occaisionally lock with the button trick. Weird thing is I can always get a FOX digital from Salina (65miles) off the back right side of the antenna. I have never failed to lock it. Tomorrow I am going to move the antenna part of the booster to the middle of the cable run. The booster already has a sensitivity control so I don't need to add one. I am also going to install a rotor to help fine tune into each station. If this does not get things working better, E*** will hear from me about replacing the 811. Is there anything else I can do to improve the signal path?

Got my two replacement 811s yesterday. But, BIG disappointment!!!!!! Both of them performed worst then I have. I am just about though all the 811s out of window at this point!!!!!!!!!

MikeF said:
I am going to try everything I can to optimize for OTA tomorrow. I have an 811 from the first week or shipping, SW 267. Like stated before, I have lived through this problem since 262. 266 and now 267 map more channels but they will not lock. I do live a long way from the signal sources (80+ miles) and use the RS model 190 with their most powerful booster. I have the antenna pointed in the general direction of the source, Topeka. I almost always get the CBS digital (76%) but I cannot lock the ABC. The PBS stations I can occaisionally lock with the button trick. Weird thing is I can always get a FOX digital from Salina (65miles) off the back right side of the antenna. I have never failed to lock it. Tomorrow I am going to move the antenna part of the booster to the middle of the cable run. The booster already has a sensitivity control so I don't need to add one. I am also going to install a rotor to help fine tune into each station. If this does not get things working better, E*** will hear from me about replacing the 811. Is there anything else I can do to improve the signal path?

Move closer to the source. ;) I can't believe Gary did not jump on this one.
:haha. Mike sounds like you are doing all that you can. you are a long distance.. I also would suggest possible seeing if any neighbors have gotten a reliable signal and try to mirror what they used.

Seems we all have something to say. I have the 811 and I am impressed so far with the HDTV picture conneced to my 57" Toshiba HDTV with DVI input. However I have recently lost a few of the local OTA channel I was getting before. Like ABC and now FOX. I have the new TERK HDTVi antenna and I get about 10 channels being only about 3 to 5 miles from the antenna.The signal strength I receive is usually about 80 to 90 percent. Has this been a problem for anyone here too :confused: ? And I recently took the latest Dish Network update even I have no clue what it was for. :eek:

Move closer to the source
I am not going to go that far. I have done all I can with the 811. Funny thing was last night I locked on the OTA digital from KC, 160 miles away. I am now convinced that my OTA problem is the 811. I am fed up seeing the 49% bug on channels that when and if they lock get anywhere from 60% to 85%. Yes, I am a long distance but I am also on the highest elevation in the county. The 811 will map out over 20 different digital stations dependeing on what way the antenna is pointing. It will only dependably lock 2 of them. And yes that has gotten worse as the sw updates has come. I know that multipath is part of the problem. The ABC from Topeka in their wisdom have tha analog on 49 and the digital on 48. I have come to the conclusion that it is time to put the 811 in a box and get a STB HD tuner. Due to the 811's limited stretch modes and the dark picture problems, I only use it for OTA anyway. All other viewing is done with a 510. I am now open to suggestions on what kind of STB tuner to look for. My only requirement is it have DVI and WORK.

I just hung up the phone with E*** 2nd level CSR. Toni was really nice. Had to go through all the did you try this, etc. Finally ended with replaceing the 811. This is one of the first wave of receivers. I should have it by the end of the week. I will let you all know if it helps and with the 49%. Hopefully it will not HURT.

I just got off the phone with Dish

I started having the 49% issues a few weeks ago and I finally go around to calling Dish. I had all my facts together when I called and thankfully they agreed to send a replacement.

They had me rescan all OTA digital and analog channels (no change) and they also had me connect the OTA antenna feed directly into the TV. I am not sure why they wanted me to do this, but I guess they wanted to see if the antenna was picking up the OTA signal for the channels that were having issues.

I broke it down straight and simple for the tech. I went to antennaweb.org and pulled all of my broadcast location details before I called. I also made sure to let them know that the channels were fine before and now they no longer come in.

They didn't give me too much of a hard time and finally agreed to replace the unit. Hopefully the new one will fix the issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)