811 P285/P287 Software Update

Black by info are you meaning guide info? The 811 does not use the guide info contained in the PSIP stream it uses its own guide data. How man BSODs do you have a week? With 284, you should not be seeing a lot of BSODs. WOnder if there is some correlation to the fact you are seeing guide info. ARe you getting channel mapping for NBC, Fox and PBS? Since I am in SoCal, Most all my OTAs show guide info. HEck even the UHF channels. This is sure a YMMV and it is not the fact the 811 is not handing PSIP guide info correctly. If you do a searching you can see some threads discussing this topic.

WeeJavaDude said:
Black by info are you meaning guide info? The 811 does not use the guide info contained in the PSIP stream it uses its own guide data. How man BSODs do you have a week? With 284, you should not be seeing a lot of BSODs. WOnder if there is some correlation to the fact you are seeing guide info. ARe you getting channel mapping for NBC, Fox and PBS? Since I am in SoCal, Most all my OTAs show guide info. HEck even the UHF channels. This is sure a YMMV and it is not the fact the 811 is not handing PSIP guide info correctly. If you do a searching you can see some threads discussing this topic.

Yes BSOD if we leave them on OTA too long and turn to sat. The way not to get BSOD for me is when my wife leaves a 811 on OTA and in the Morning i have to reset the units. As for PSIP i only get data from two channels CBS and ABC. All other guide info does not work. I sub to AEP and locals so now we guide info. We like to get our locals OTA better then from dish. They look so much better OTA. Things like this makes her not to happy. We had voom and had guide data. When we goto my G-ma's she has D* and has guide data.

software update

I'm still waiting for my software update.I turn off my receiver every night, and try to manually download the update, but no luck. Any ideas? Have there been a couple of updates since 284? Thanks.

My box will get the update someday I imagine. It won't be in my possession when it happens though. It's goin' back. I had my fun. Maybe I'll try to snag a good used OTA off Ebay. Any recommendations for good unit?

DarrellP said:
Does anyone know if the 811 will get more Timers? I thought 10 timers died with the 6000?
I seldom use the 811 for timers or anything but back in March on a free Showtime weekend, I found the 921 has a limit of 64 timers. Just would not take any more.
-Ken

I figured - wrongly it appears - that by now that DISH would have ALL the bugs out of the 811 - so, knowing that it has been out for quite awhile now and DISH offers it to new HD users - I just signed up for one. Hope I too - don't have all the headaches I read here about.

Michael :eek:

Black,

My 811 didn't have guide data for all of my OTA channels with 284, and guess what still don't with 287. That is what I was saying before you are not missing anything, I promise, trust me. Just give it a little bit of time, I have a feeling that 287 is dead in the water, but I am sure we will see the next update before to long. It isn't Dish Network trying to leave you out, and NO one at DBStalk has special receivers (even though I like to tease weejavadude about it sometimes:) ) it is just the luck of the draw. Remember Dish has 811, 301, 311, 322, 522, 510-508-501, 625, 921, 942 (and all of the receivers that Dish hasn't released yet that they are working on) that are without argument "current" receivers. Pretty much all of them have different software versions, and they ALL have issues that need to be fixed, so you've got to give Dish a little bit of time to fix everything that is at issue with the 811.

WeeJavaDude said:
Just incase you don't know. WJD == Ron. :)

Of course, I just didn't want to write out WeeJavaDude twice in one sentence. I guess I could have used WJD instead of Ron, however I figured that Black would have known who I was talking about because his chief complaint was that DBStalk admin's get the newest software when he doesn't. In which case, I was actually pointing out that if anything you and Jason get more headaches, because not only do you have to help those in need, but you also have to deal with bugs yourself and you are not anyone special when comes to software updates, you get them just like anyone else.

I agree with you on user experience when it comes to 287, I was just trying to point out that 287 isn't anything to be upset about not having. 287 for me has stabilized also, however, it does have a few more quarks IMO than 284 did. But you've got to admit it isn't like day and night when it comes to new or improved features, bug fixes, etc. when you compare 284 and 287.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts