811 Program Guide Enhancements?

genglish

Original poster
Nov 14, 2004
I just had Dish installed a week ago, with a 522, 311, and 811. The 311 and 522 seem to have better menus than the 811, as follows:

1) More channels listed on one screen
2) "Browse" function shows current and next show without scrolling
3) When any show is highlighted, the info show in the upper left with no extra pressing of the "info" button

It seems to me that the 811, with the much higher resolution, should have the capability of showing even more channels on one screen, and of course the same enhancements already built-in to the 522 and 311. Not to mention a "wide-screen" program guide if you selected 16x9 aspect ratio.

I searched briefly for threads on this subject -- sorry if this is a duplicate.

Gary

Welcome to SatelliteGuys,

While I agree with you that it would be nice to have a nicer interface...most 811 users are more concerned about daily reboots or other lack of advertised functionality then they are gaining additional features.

Jason

...and to think, most of us 6000 owners think the 811 GUI is the greatest thing since sliced-bread...

Foxbat said:
...and to think, most of us 6000 owners think the 811 GUI is the greatest thing since sliced-bread...

I just upgraded from a 6000 to an 811 and one of the main reasons was the better GUI. It's really nice to have a guide for the OTA locals.

Mario

mperdue said:
I just upgraded from a 6000 to an 811 and one of the main reasons was the better GUI. It's really nice to have a guide for the OTA locals.

Mario

Does your OTA guide show any other information other than "Local Channel" or whatever it says. My information is just has the generic info.

Note: I'm receiving my local channels directly via the TV antenna not the dish. Could be the local's aren't sending any info or maybe the feature isn't available regardless.

W4WMM said:
Does your OTA guide show any other information other than "Local Channel" or whatever it says. My information is just has the generic info.

Note: I'm receiving my local channels directly via the TV antenna not the dish. Could be the local's aren't sending any info or maybe the feature isn't available regardless.

I'm getting about 48 hours of schedule information for all the local channels except PBS. It's a big improvement over the 6000 guide. Hopefully I won't have some of the problems others have had with the 811. So far, it has worked perfectly but it's only been connected for two days. :)

Mario

GaryPen said:
The guide and menu screens on the 811 are pretty archaic. It reminds of DOS compared to a modern GUI like XP, OSX, or any of the newer Linux GUI's.

Interesting comparison, mostly because the 811's guide is wickedly fast, esp. where compared to the DirecTivos and (most) cable GUI's. It sure beats the pants off of my 301.

DOS reminds me of the days when OS's weren't built for GUI's, and were actually, you know, like fast, or something :)

W4WMM said:

I get guide info on my HD STB, but not on the 811 for the same channels.

Another "undocumented feature" of the 811?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)