811 Questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Nolzman

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Hi all, I just registered, and appreciate the information on this site.

I got the 6000 for $149 a couple of months ago and I am thinking of switching to 811. But I a few questions for new owners or someone that has the definitive answers.

1. Is the OTA tuner in the 811 a better than the 8VSB module in the in the 6000?

2. Does the 811 have the same annoying fan noise? That could be a deciding factor for me, although mine has lessened in the last few weeks.

3. Does the 811 receiver accept IR control, or is it UHF only? Is there a menu setting to turn on IR sensor input? Again, a decision point for me.

Thanks.

There are good questions and I wont to know the answers to them also. So whoever has upgraded from 6000 to 811, please reply.

same here -

also, how about OTA locals guide and info? Isn't it true that DISH intends to provide this info via sat or is this only rumored for the 921? Currently the 6000 only says "Local Digital" for the non-sat channels. It would be nice to have this incorporated.

3. Does the 811 receiver accept IR control, or is it UHF only? Is there a menu setting to turn on IR sensor input? Again, a decision point for me.

FRONT PANEL FEATURES
• Buttons
• Cursor Up, Down, Left, Right and Select for
menu/EPG navigation
• Power, Info, Menu, Sys Info, Cancel
• Satellite/off-air mode lights
• IR sensor/IR blast emitter

Looks like the answer for #3 is yes, it accepts IR. I get my 811 tomarrow, but won't have a DVI cable yet. Best deal seems to be at www.pacificcable.com 4 meter cable for about $30. Anyone know of any stores that sell them for less?

Anyone know of any stores that sell them for less?

Ebay.

I bought four 10' DVI single link cables last November for $27. I'm using two and two are waiting future use.

Again, Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2770372986&category=3697

There you go, $10 for 4 meters delivered. Hard to beat that.

gpflepsen said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2770372986&category=3697

There you go, $10 for 4 meters delivered. Hard to beat that.

Looks great. Thanks for the help. 4 meter monster cables are $130! These are much more reasonable.

John Corn said:
Are those cheap cables any good? It cost's $100.00 for a 2m Monster at Best Buy.

I read a lot about this on avsforum before purchasing a cheap cable. I think what I got out of it is for the long cables (15 feet or higher), there could be a difference with cheap cables, but under 15, cheap seemed to work just as well. This was for dvi-d

I don't know if they are good, I would guess they are.

As always on Ebay, use the resources to protect yourself. Check feedback and sellers history.

There are a ton of OEM DVI cables out there that don't get used by the corporate buyers. They upgrade 500 computers to LCDs but the computers only have DB-15 connections. A guy on another forum pulled 10's of DVI cables from his companies trash. They were thrown away because they had no use for them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)