811 questions

Tac

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 12, 2003
Erie, PA
If I were to buy an 811 now, will this receiver work when the transition to mpeg4 comes around? I am in a situation where I have "moved" so I don't believe that I can upgrade my receiver through E*. I believe that they have to come out and set this up, if I do it through them. So, I am considering purchasing one myself.

Also, because of my "move", I still receive distant Fox and CBS. (I probably am one of the few who have survived) Because of my distants will I automatically receive CBS in HD without further cost. I understand that E* is offering 6 months of free HD for new subs, but is CBS HD separate from this deal.

Is there any way as a "mover" that I can lease an 811? Will they send it to me so that I can just hook it up?

Thanks.

Tac said:
If I were to buy an 811 now, will this receiver work when the transition to mpeg4 comes around? I am in a situation where I have "moved" so I don't believe that I can upgrade my receiver through E*. I believe that they have to come out and set this up, if I do it through them. So, I am considering purchasing one myself.

Also, because of my "move", I still receive distant Fox and CBS. (I probably am one of the few who have survived) Because of my distants will I automatically receive CBS in HD without further cost. I understand that E* is offering 6 months of free HD for new subs, but is CBS HD separate from this deal.

Thanks.

Simple answer, no. MPEG4 is hardware based that's why for now I plan on buying an 811 then a 962 later since I don't think an HD-DVR right now is worth bothering with then getting suckered into a longer contract to get it upgraded which should be happening shortly.

Tac said:

Is there any way as a "mover" that I can lease an 811? Will they send it to me so that I can just hook it up?

Thanks.

If you currently get a CBS distant feed then you will be able to get CBS HD although you will have to call Dish to get the CBS HD feed turned on. Lastly the CBS HD feed is only available from the 61.5 or 148 orbital slots (61.5 for CBS East HD, and 148 for CBS West HD) at the moment so this would mean you need an additional Dish. BTW if you currently pay for CBS ala carte or in a distant package you will NOT be charged anymore for the CBS HD feed.

No currently available Dish HD receiver will be able to receive a MPEG4 stream. MPEG4 will be used for HD although at first the new HD channels additions are likely be the ones in MPEG4 as time goes by and more Subs either upgrade themselves or Dish does it all HD content will be available only on MPEG4 data streams.

I doubt you will be able to lease a 811 receiver unless you can get it delivered to your home as Dish now requires in home installation for all lease receivers.

John

Dish shipped me a leased 811 in June without requiring an installation. I was swapping out an old receiver. I went with the lease specifically because of MPEG-4. I would rather have a 942, but wanted to wait to hear E*'s plans.

Tac it looks like you might wanna buy a 411 since they're coming out at the end of this month or a 211VIP in the middle of the next.

Tom Bombadil said:
He might have to wait in line for either a 411 or 211, as most expect quantities to be very limited at announcement.

This is just my suspicion but might Dish be releasing these early because they don't have enough space to fit all the VOOM channels on the sats in MPEG2 so the extra 11 will be in MPEG4?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)