811 Receiver Installed on Dish 500 System - My Impressions

TX811

Original poster
Dec 5, 2003
Had 811 receiver installed Friday on Dish 500 system. This replaced my 3.5-year old model 4700. 811 is connected to a Samsung 61” DLP TV using the 3-component video and set to 1080i res. Am going to buy DVI cable today.

Here are my first thoughts/impressions:

PROS
* Picture quality is greatly improved across all channels.
* The picture quality on the four, HD channels is phenomenal.
* OTA digital picture quality is on par, maybe better, than standard Dish Network feed. (I am in Houston, TX)
* I am able to get nine digital and 14 analog channels over my attic antenna. No special reception equipment, just a 3-foot long, fishbone (name?) antenna. You program digital and analog channels separately.
* The auto programming for the OTA digital and analog channels is just sweet. Works very well and is integrated into the menu (very bottom in the single/double digit range).
* There is less delay in switching between channels/menu.
* Installer was pleasant and helpful even though this was his first 811 install.
* Quick delivery of receiver. Ordered Wednesday.
* $149 is excellent price for this receiver.

CONS
* Had to reboot (unplug from wall for 5 minutes) several times after programming all the OTA locals. Here’s the issue: After surfing from the OTA (analog only?) local channels back to the satellite channels (CNN, Foxnews, A&E), several times the picture would not return. The channel ID would come-up at the top of the screen, but no picture or sound (on channels with picture). Conversely, the digital music channels seen to be unaffected by this and continued to work normally. Tried turning the receiver off for 10 minutes and tried again, but still no picture or sound on sat channels although the OTA channels continued to work fine. Finally just unplugged, waited 5 minutes, plug receiver back in and switched on again. After reacquiring satellite, system worked again. Because the OTA digital channels are so good, I have deleted all the programmed analog channels and the issue has not repeated itself this morning after surfing from OTA digital and sat channels several times. My impression is this is an issue switching between OTA analog and satellite channels. I do not subscribe to local channels through Dish.
* No DVI cable provided with receiver. (811 did come with 3-component cabling and it seems of good quality).
* Took too long for Dish to offer this receiver.

Final note, thanks to every one on this board for the info. So far, the 811 gets two thumbs-up from me. Good luck.

Except for the OTA part which I don't have yet, the above report by TX811 mirrors my observations about the 811.

The bonus is the unexpected improvement in SD with the 811's composite output compared to the DP 7200 using S-video output. The two SD images were compared side-by-side using my panny widescreen tv's split-screen mode.

Installer was susposed to be here between 8-12noon. 10 til 12 and still no installer. I am going to call Dish and tell them to have the installer call me directly to setup the next appointment or just ship me the unit. I do not need some dumb ass, that can't even keep appointments or call and let you know that he will be late, installing a 15 minute receiver in my home anyway.

jerryez said:
Installer was susposed to be here between 8-12noon. 10 til 12 and still no installer. I am going to call Dish and tell them to have the installer call me directly to setup the next appointment or just ship me the unit. I do not need some dumb ass, that can't even keep appointments or call and let you know that he will be late, installing a 15 minute receiver in my home anyway.

I feel your pain ~

HUG

I'm really hoping my installer doesn't call tonight to tell me that they don't have any 811's like what happened last time with the 6000. If that does happen I will call and cancel my order with DISH.

My install is set from 8-12 tomorrow morning

Neutron said:
HUG

I'm really hoping my installer doesn't call tonight to tell me that they don't have any 811's like what happened last time with the 6000. If that does happen I will call and cancel my order with DISH.

My install is set from 8-12 tomorrow morning

Don't cancel it. Get it installed then I'll buy it from you.

TX811, I would like to add that there is no fan noise. The antenna strength meter on the 'ADD DTV' channel setup will alow you to aim your antenna for maximum signal strength.

I had a Sony XBR57 with a HD tuner in it and the tuner in the 811 is quicker and maintains a higher signal strength. Where on the Sony my signal strength was in the hight 60s and low 70s the 811 is in the high 70s and low 80s. I can receive a channel I could not before, ABC does not disappear at times. Tommorow I will move my antenna out of the attic and onto the roof and see if I can improve on the signal strength.

"Tommorow I will move my antenna out of the attic and onto the roof and see if I can improve on the signal strength."

Joe, you may be onto something there. Wish I had thought of that way back in the middle of the last century. ;)

Nick, I can get into my attic--I don't have a way to get on my roof. I am going to try and find a ladder from one of my nehbors. If they do not have one I am going to see if I can rent one. Hey what can I say, I'm short and from the ground to my roof at the shortes point is 14'. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)