811 receiver settings

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rixter67

Original poster
Jan 12, 2004
For those of you out there using the 811. What do you have the HDTV settings set for? I have a 50" GWIII Sony and the 811 is set at 16:9 1080i, I have read that changing to 720p might make a difference in SD programming. Any truth to this?

BTW, the channels all look pretty good now without AVIA tweaking yet. I am surprised at the HDTV. Insectia is phenomenal on the big screen.

I have a GWII (60") and I have it set to 1080i. I never tired it at 720p setting because I have heard that it downcasts then upcasts. If You are not happy with your PQ on SD, you could try a power conditioniar. I did and I was very happy with the results. How do you plan on tweaking it with AVIA? Oh.. I also have mine hooked up to the DVI input. Saw some improvement over component, but I woudl say it was minimal.

The 720p output on the 811 is garbage- dont use it even for 720p broadcasts. It converts to SD before converting to 720p- you dont see high definition. Havent noticed any improvement on SD channels thru 720p. Just leave it on 1080i.

I found SD programming looks much better if you go down to 480P. The electronic program guide looks better and everything looks sharper. Go back to 1080i for HD programs. Its a pain and I wish there was a button that would allow quick switching back n forth but I cannot figure one out. I understand you can do that with one of those 3rd party do everything remotes. They allow creating macros and assigning them to a particular button.

I contacted dish and suggested a software change to allow default values for HD and SD letting the reciever pick the resolution automatically. CSR said he would forward my comment to engineering- yeah right!

Rick

you do not need one of the fancy universal remotes to go from 480P to 1080I on your 811. You can also do it through your TV inputs

Depending on what TV you have, you can plug your 811 into your TV with Component or DVI for 1080, then have your S Video go into a different input and when you want to watch SD all you need to do is switch the input on your TV

so for instance, I have a mitsu ws-55613 which has 1 DVI input, 1 DTV Component input, Input 1-3 for S-video and RCA, Component input 1 & 2

I have my 811 going into my DVI and DTV Component inputs(for PQ comparision reasons) and then can set up input 1 for S-Video from the 811. Then you name your inputs. I use HDTV-D for DVI, HDTV-C for Component and 811 for SD. Then just switch your inputs on your tv and you will see the version you which to see

HDTV Rookie said:
you do not need one of the fancy universal remotes to go from 480P to 1080I on your 811. You can also do it through your TV inputs

Depending on what TV you have, you can plug your 811 into your TV with Component or DVI for 1080, then have your S Video go into a different input and when you want to watch SD all you need to do is switch the input on your TV

so for instance, I have a mitsu ws-55613 which has 1 DVI input, 1 DTV Component input, Input 1-3 for S-video and RCA, Component input 1 & 2

I have my 811 going into my DVI and DTV Component inputs(for PQ comparision reasons) and then can set up input 1 for S-Video from the 811. Then you name
your inputs. I use HDTV-D for DVI, HDTV-C for Component and 811 for SD. Then just switch your inputs on your tv and you will see the version you which to see

But Rookie, the S-Video output on the 811 is 480I. Now I don't mind that with my Mits because the line doubler does a fine job, but our originator seems to like his SD in 480P coming out of the component outputs.

Bobby said:
But Rookie, the S-Video output on the 811 is 480I. Now I don't mind that with my Mits because the line doubler does a fine job, but our originator seems to like his SD in 480P coming out of the component outputs.

Sorry, you are correct. slipped my mind the I/P part. I will say that my 480P coming out of my component cable is definitely better than my 480I feed coming out of my 508 I also have hooked up to my Mitsu.

This dreadful thing called work, has turned my brain into mush, so please forgive my babbling

But if he were using DVI and Component Video cables, he could still use 2 inputs to switch between 1080i HD and 480P SD

HDTV Rookie said:
But if he were using DVI and Component Video cables, he could still use 2 inputs to switch between 1080i HD and 480P SD

I might be brain dead, but how? I thought for the DVI & Component output, there is only one place in 811 (HDTV Setup), where you select 1080i/720p/480P. Can you select different output format for Component & DVI? Where do you set that up in 811?

I think that the 811 output quality is better than the 6000. That includes SD on composite, s-video or component cables. I just watch the SD channels on the component output. It is the best of the three.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts