811 reciver quality

oldtimer

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2005
I just upgraded my receiver from a 2700 to the 811, I have a new Hitachi S715 has a great picture with HD OTA and had fair picture with the 2700, the Hitachi has an HDMI input and I used this to connect the 811 using a DVI to HDMI cable, picture quality gave a “washed out effect” tried various setting with not much success, I then switched to the Component (YPB) connections and picture quality improved to the 2700 receiver level.
From what I’ve read others have had similar results, any prospects of a better receiver in near future?

oldtimer said:
I just upgraded my receiver from a 2700 to the 811, I have a new Hitachi S715 has a great picture with HD OTA and had fair picture with the 2700, the Hitachi has an HDMI input and I used this to connect the 811 using a DVI to HDMI cable, picture quality gave a “washed out effect” tried various setting with not much success, I then switched to the Component (YPB) connections and picture quality improved to the 2700 receiver level.
From what I’ve read others have had similar results, any prospects of a better receiver in near future?
I am using the 811 on an S715 too. Using component generally give better results on CRT displays, so I'd use that anyway (although by accounts here the 811 does have a 'washed out' DVI output). The 811 will be phased out as the new mpeg4 stuff comes on board, but I will still be using component with the new stuff too ;).

rvsixer is correct, general rule is Component for CRT based displays and DVI for fixed pixel (LCD, DLP, LCOS).

oldtimer: My experience is exactly the opposite with my Samsung DLP and 811, DVI gives an excellent picture and Component is visibly inferior. Both inputs were calibrated using Avia test disk.

NightRyder

My 811 on component looked awesome. Then 4 hours after having it installed....it died. Now I have to wait for another to come.

oldtimer said:

Were you leasing the 2700 and if so what did it cost to upgrade? If not anyone else have any numbers on this?

DucTape said:
Were you leasing the 2700 and if so what did it cost to upgrade? If not anyone else have any numbers on this?

yes, it was $50plus the HD package however In all honestly I would not
do it again unless they come out with a new receiver not happy with the 811.

DucTape said:
Couldn't/shouldn't cost more than the 811 I leased straight out (no upgrade) for $4.99/mnth.