811 SD Content (460p or 1080i)

snathanb

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 26, 2004
DFW
811 SD Content (480p or 1080i)

I am using the 811 with a 16:9 ratio HD TV.

HD Channels look great in 1080i mode.

SD Channels, well, we all know how they look, but here is my question.

When I view SD channels in 1080i mode, there are black bars due to the 4:3 formatted material. When I use any of the stretch modes, I lose a lot of the picture, as it seems to stretch the picture far more than it needs to to fill the screen.

However, if I switch the 811 to output in 480p mode, SD programming fits the screen very nicely, with no stretch mode required at all. I can leave it in normal mode, and there are no black bars. The quality of the picture is also much better than in 1080i mode (due, in part, to stretching it less, I would imagine).

Is the 811 sizing the picture differently in 480p mode or is it my TV that handles 480p mode differently (and sizes the input automatically)?

I also noticed that the 811's menu does not fit the screen in 1080i mode, but fits the screen exactly in 480p mode.

Question #2....

On HD channels, in 480p mode, programs fit my screen exactly. Switching to 1080i mode produces a slightly wider picture (by about 1.75 inches on each side of the screen. It basically results in 3.5 inches less picture on the screen, as 1.75 inches is getting pushed off each side. I can live with it, just wondered if anyone else sees anything similar. I can adjust the overscan, but then the picture is not wide enough by about the same margin when watching DVDs.

snathanb said:
I am using the 811 with a 16:9 ratio HD TV.

HD Channels look great in 1080i mode.

SD Channels, well, we all know how they look, but here is my question.

When I view SD channels in 1080i mode, there are black bars due to the 4:3 formatted material. When I use any of the stretch modes, I lose a lot of the picture, as it seems to stretch the picture far more than it needs to to fill the screen.

I use "Partial Zoom" mode in 1080i, and find it works quite well for SD sources on my Sony 16:9 HDTV. It may skim a hair off the top. But, it's OK for me. I'm actually quite surprised and happy with the quality of the 811's screen format ability.

My PJ is 4:3, so I view SD at "Normal" mode there, which isn't often since SD looks so bad blown up so big. But, 1080i HD looks phenomenal at that size, even letterboxed! Much better than DVD's.

Where are you trying to scale the picture? Through the 811 or you TV or both? I would suggest setting the TV to full and scale using the 811. I assume you are using component or DVI into your TV? What I have noticed with 480p on DVI that it tends to squish things a bit. I was very suprised at that and had not gone back to check it out.

One of the ehancements I would like to see and one that I heard might be coming is the ability to set 480p for SD and 1080i for HD. I thought I would get a better picture for SD on 480p but that was not the case. I need to do a bit more playing around, but I tend to use 1080i for everything but I have no burn in issues. Sony GWII

WeeJavaDude said:
Where are you trying to scale the picture? Through the 811 or you TV or both?

I'm using component inputs, and my TV doesn't allow scaling on those inputs at all. I'm using strictly the 811 scaling.

One of the ehancements I would like to see and one that I heard might be coming is the ability to set 480p for SD and 1080i for HD. I thought I would get a better picture for SD on 480p but that was not the case.

I get a slightly better SD picture on 480p, and most definately a better fit of the material to the screen than the 811 stretch modes...

I'd love to be able to hit the SD/HD on the 811 remote and have it switch back and forth from 1080i/480p.... what is that key for, anyway?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts