811 Setups Tips For Voomers

David Dietzel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 21, 2004
Rancho Cucamonga
811 Setup and Configuration Tips For Voomers

My Dish install was just upgraded to include an 811 and second dish for my reception of HD content, including the VOOM10.

I have fiddled with the settings on both 811 and Sony KDF-60XS955 to no end and cannot quite get to the level the superior PQ I had come to expect from VOOM. The PQ is very good and close to what I had with VOOM, but not quite there. I am using DVI to HDMI cable, so the signal is all digital.

I hear others claim that the HD-DVRs (921 or 942) offer better PQ than the 811 and that some 811 units have been problematic, while others have been great.

Suggestions for optimum VOOMing with an 811 will be much appreciated.

David: I am a long-time E* subscriber and never had Voom until last Sunday. My 811 is set to 1080i and is feeding a KDF-55SX955 (55" version of your Sony) via a DVI to HDMI cable - set up just like yours. My video setting is "standard" and the PQ is simply super! RAVE is a real WOW! If the old Voom PQ was better than what I have now, it must have been something!

da Doug

Many of us long time E* subs noticed that on the 811, the DVI connection outputs a washed out picture. Use the component out and you will notice a very good picture. This problem with the 811 relates back to when E* was adjusting the black levels. They never got the DVI right. The DVI connection on the 921 is fantastic compared to the 811 DVI.

I had suspected that perhaps the component connection might yield a superior result over the DVI to HDMI route, depending on how cleanly the 811 software handles the DVI port and the newer HDMI specification. I'll try component cables tomorrow night after I arrive home from work.

The VOOM channels, especially Equator, have a slightly soft look and very slight pixelation when there is alot of movement in a scene. I've heard from multiple sources that the 921 or 942 have superior HD tuners and software compared with the 811 and therefore produce a noticably better HD experience; however, my local Dish retailers all wanted between $1000 and $1200 for a 942, including installation. The old 921 is at the local Costco for $489 plus Kalifornia sales tax. All in all, too much to spend for units that will be severely outdated in a matter of mere months when MPEG4 arrives. Too bad Dish wouldn't allow existing subs to get the 942 $250 deal. Oh, well, I'll live.

I noticed that Elvira is now specifically pitching MonstersHD. She must be close to 50 by now and still quite attractive.

I can't tell you how good it is to have the VOOM channels back in my house -- I really missed Rave, Equator, Rush and Monsters. HDNet and HDMovie are both nice additions to my channel guide. Dish certainly stomps Direct for the time being when it comes to HD content. And, the PQ of Dish is superior to my local cable company (Charter, which only offers 7 HD channels right now).

Again, I'll give the component connection a whirl tomorrow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)