Smart Prepare For Mobile?

Strega

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 6, 2023
West Coast
When using my Hopper3 for the first time yesterday, at some point, there was a prompt about allowing mobile content and I thought “why not?” selected “yes” and went on with what I was doing.

Later, when going through the settings, I found “Smart Prepare for Mobile” and trying to figure out what that means, I searched and found this page which says “This compresses the movie or show down to a mobile-appropriate file size”… which made me reconsider – since I’m not actually using anything mobile right now, why would I want to recompress videos? (If that site is accurate?) Presumably, compressing means either the recording quality goes down, or it compresses into a separate file for mobile meaning more disk space used per recording.

So, I turned “Smart Prepare for Mobile” off, but the setting is under settings->timer defaults, which would lead me to conclude that that default setting was then included in any timers that I had created since then. So, I went to some of my timers but I couldn’t find that setting to toggle off in the individual timers.

So:

1) Does this setting actually change the quality of the video that is watched directly on the hopper? (or: 1b use more space?)

2) If the answer to 1 is “yes”, then do I need to delete the timers I set last night and recreate them, in order to get the new value of “Smart Prepare for Mobile”? Or will changing it in that one place under “timer defaults” affect all future recordings?

Oh my. I already have restored about 50 hours of recordings from EHD and created about 60 timers. (Reveling in the whole: 16 tuners - no conflict messages, thing.) Hopefully no harm done via those actions? But I guess I shouldn't explore so much if its expected to keep changing.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Oh my. I already have restored about 50 hours of recordings from EHD and created about 60 timers. (Reveling in the whole: 16 tuners - no conflict messages, thing.) Hopefully no harm done via those actions? But I guess I shouldn't explore so much if its expected to keep changing.
You know, you can actually watch those recordings directly off of the EHD. There really is little need to move them on to the Hopper except if you use DishAnywhere to watch.

Thanks. I did know I could watch from the EHD. These were the current unwatched recordings that went off the 722K disk the day before. Whereas everything else on the various EHDs is for watching (much) later.

So it was mainly an organizational thing, but also back in the 722 days, some people said there was a bug that made watching from the EHD "unsafe" so I rarely did it. So I suppose I'm a little biased against that because of that old comment.

So it was mainly an organizational thing, but also back in the 722 days, some people said there was a bug that made watching from the EHD "unsafe" so I rarely did it. So I suppose I'm a little biased against that because of that old comment.
Yes, that was the 722 days. Hopper no problem.