811 Side black bar question?

dsharky

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 15, 2004
Hi gang. This site really rocks!
I'm a new dish customer and i love the 811. Espeically now that I have my locals coming in via an OTA antenna. it's freaking amazing how many extra channels i get. Can't wait to cancel Dish's local channel and save $5/month

My question is:
When i'm in SD mode, the black bars are ALWAYS on the side. Since i'm plugged in via component cables, my TV won't allow me to stretch the image. Is there any option on the 811 itself to switch the black bars off while watchind SD channels?

Thanks!

dsharky said:
Hi gang. This site really rocks!
... Since i'm plugged in via component cables, my TV won't allow me to stretch the image. Is there any option on the 811 itself to switch the black bars off while watchind SD channels?

Thanks!

Well, obviously you can plug in via svideo. That should allow you to change the aspect (stretch, zoom, etc.).

johnny_b said:
That would work if only the 811 stretch modes would actually work in SD.

He said he was plugged in using component... so yes, it will work, on the 811.
If he takes the other suggestion and goes SVideo, then he can use the stretch modes on the TV.

Either way, problem solved.

Is there a way to set the 811 to be on stretch mode when view OTA and normal mode when viewing others channels view dish instead of keep pusing the * button?

In a way it does it on its own! Most SD programing is 4X3, and most HD is 16X9, when you put the receiver on Normal when viewing HD, and one of the Stretch on the SD channels (all you have to do is do it on one channel, one SD, and one HD) Every time you switch to a SD channel it will be on what ever stretch you had it on, and when you stitch to a HD channel it will be on Normal.
The problem is, not all HD broadcast are in 16X9, so sometimes you will have the black bars even though you are on a HD channel. (especially when you are viewing OTA Digital/HD channels).
So it will work most of the time, but not all of the time.

If you have a 4X3 Tv and you use componet, you get the bars on the top/bottom and the sides thus makeing it a square. go to the setup menu and you can chane from 1080i to 480P on SD channels and it will fill all the screen. The need to make the SD/HD botton cycle the odes on one of the updates.

-Chas

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)