811 Software P262 Update Now Available!

Is anyone else seeing the following symptom?
If I watch an OTA channel for any length of time,
when I flip back to the satellite channels I have no
pic and no sound. The guide works fine, and the
banner still shows the correct info for the program
I'm supposed to be seeing, but besides that it's dead.
I can get no channels (neither 119 nor 110), and
nothing I can do brings them back. OTAs still continue
to work fine. Two separate calls to tech support
said it was a known problem, and both concurred
that the only way to bring them back is to unplug
the unit from the electrical outlet withOUT turning
it off first. Then when I plug it back in it goes to
a 30 second "Acquiring Satellite" screen, then all
is well (well at least until I tune to an OTA channel
again.) Rebooting by holding the power button
does NOT fix the problem. So basically I have to
get up and unplug my box everytime I want to
change channels. :x

I flip back to the satellite channels I have no
pic and no sound

I do not have that problem. Sometimes I loose sound and change channels and back and the sound comes back. sometimes I will get acquiring satellite signal when switch from OTA to sat that takes 15 second or more (more likely if watching OTA for long time).

But I have never had to unplug the 811 or soft reboot.

Watched Monday night football last night OTA on my sammy DLP and it was very nice indeed.

go Packers

Re: Recall button not working on OTA HD channels

rad said:
Another problem I see is you tune to an ATSC channel and the 811 has a hard time locking on it, it eventually gets it but it takes awhile. You then hit the recall button on the remote to go back to the prior station and it doesn't switch, it stays on the same station.

rjbu said:
I just noticed that if my 811 is tuned to an OTA HD channel, the recall button does not change to the previous channel - it just reselects the current OTA channel. The recall button works fine when on any other channel, both SD and HD.

I am on P262, but I don't know if this is a new problem with P262 or if I just didn't notice this before.

Problem #1: (See Above) Amen, somebody else noticed this problem too and complained! I too have the same problem.

Problem #2: I also noticed last night by pushing the "Recall" button that the sound between HD HBO and the regular Discovery (American Choppers) the sound level difference was TERRIBLE! I had the volume up to 55-60 watching HD HBO then went to Discovery and almost lost my hearing!

Problem #3: I noticed my local channels in the 9,XXX show in the guide what is on, HOWEVER in the lower channels where the channels actually belong, they show nothing, just "Local Digital Programming" or whatever it says. It is an 811 problem because both of my 301's work just fine.

Problem #4: Locals are too hard to get. It usually says 49% or whatever then drops out with an error message. Here again, only with the 811, not the 301's.

Problem #5: Viewing the partial guide with video spends most of the time if not ALL of the time "Acquiring ....Satellite." I don't get to see the video, just a partial menu. What gives? It worked pretty good the day it was installed, not the past couple of days, it shows not video.

Just an update per dishnetwork.com

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/customerCare/technical/software_versions/index.asp

They just released 2.63!

Can't wait to get home and try it!

263 is spooled :) I'm downloading it as we speak.

I prefer the "Ask Before Downloading" option.

I powered off the 811, it said there's an upgrade, do I want to Install. I responded "yes". It's downloading now.

It'll probably be a few days before we know what it does/doesn't fix.

Cheers,

I chose the same option, I want to know when I am getting something new so I can tell what if any changes were made, good or bad!

Re: Recall button not working on OTA HD channels

peid said:
rad said:
Another problem I see is you tune to an ATSC channel and the 811 has a hard time locking on it, it eventually gets it but it takes awhile. You then hit the recall button on the remote to go back to the prior station and it doesn't switch, it stays on the same station.

rjbu said:
I just noticed that if my 811 is tuned to an OTA HD channel, the recall button does not change to the previous channel - it just reselects the current OTA channel. The recall button works fine when on any other channel, both SD and HD.

I am on P262, but I don't know if this is a new problem with P262 or if I just didn't notice this before.

Problem #1: (See Above) Amen, somebody else noticed this problem too and complained! I too have the same problem.

Problem #2: I also noticed last night by pushing the "Recall" button that the sound between HD HBO and the regular Discovery (American Choppers) the sound level difference was TERRIBLE! I had the volume up to 55-60 watching HD HBO then went to Discovery and almost lost my hearing!

Problem #3: I noticed my local channels in the 9,XXX show in the guide what is on, HOWEVER in the lower channels where the channels actually belong, they show nothing, just "Local Digital Programming" or whatever it says. It is an 811 problem because both of my 301's work just fine.

Problem #4: Locals are too hard to get. It usually says 49% or whatever then drops out with an error message. Here again, only with the 811, not the 301's.

Problem #5: Viewing the partial guide with video spends most of the time if not ALL of the time "Acquiring ....Satellite." I don't get to see the video, just a partial menu. What gives? It worked pretty good the day it was installed, not the past couple of days, it shows not video.

For problem #3, since the 811 has a built in over the air tuner, which would be looking for channels on their regular numbers, the Dish LIL channels do not remap. So for LIL's you'll have to look at the high numbers and for OTA reception their on the actual number. That's working as designed.

For #4, that message is only when you're trying to tune in your locals via the over the air tuner, which is something your 301 doesn't have.

#2, I've noticed volume levels all over the place also.

#5, while the 811 was to have a two day guide it didn't make it in the 261 and 262 software levels, it's working bascially like a 6000 (this is the main reason I dumped my 6000 for the 811, I wanted a guide that worked). It's supposed to be corrected in a future software update, maybe it's in the 263 which is now posted on the Dish web site according to some prior posts.

Software update 263 didn't fix any of my 811 issues; however, I don't have some that are described above. My main issues were the dark PQ and the uneven sound between HD channels and others. Tech support said in an e-mail Sunday that Dish was aware of the issues and was working on them.

263 didn't solve any of my issues either. Local mapping still doesn't work correctly, closed captions are as screwy as ever, and the dark image is still dark. Good work Dish!

Nicu

zvogt Wrote
Is anyone else seeing the following symptom?
If I watch an OTA channel for any length of time,
when I flip back to the satellite channels I have no
pic and no sound. The guide works fine, and the
banner still shows the correct info for the program
I'm supposed to be seeing, but besides that it's dead.
I can get no channels (neither 119 nor 110), and
nothing I can do brings them back. OTAs still continue
to work fine. Two separate calls to tech support
said it was a known problem, and both concurred
that the only way to bring them back is to unplug
the unit from the electrical outlet withOUT turning
it off first. Then when I plug it back in it goes to
a 30 second "Acquiring Satellite" screen, then all
is well (well at least until I tune to an OTA channel
again.) Rebooting by holding the power button
does NOT fix the problem. So basically I have to
get up and unplug my box everytime I want to
change channels.

I getting the same problems as zvogt. What is a little different is I am able to fix the problem with a reboot.

zvogt have you got the latest software and if so has it fixed any problems. I have not got the latest software update

Also having 811 Issues, DVI will not work, when browsing through the guide, the 811 locks up, have to unplug it to get it to come back. Last night it lost the remote setting and went back to 1, so had to change it back to 1, then reprogram it back to 3.

OTA signal shows 49% but will not lock onto stations.

Seems as if they have to be 65% or above before ot will work on the OTA stations.

Loses sound at times, change channels, then it comes back.

Guide still has only hour or two programming.

Dish 811 Wish List

Hi,

I got my 811 about two weeks ago. Here's what I'd like to see:

* Don't remove HD channels from favorites list if I lose reception. I have one troublesome station that goes below the magic 50% signal mark sometimes. Whenever this happens, the channel gets dropped from the favorites list (and sometimes from the overall guide). This also happens when the PSIP is lost. I have to go through the setup menu to add it back in.

* Let me see the program guide info for the Networks and/or local channels, even if I don't subscribe. This doesn't seem to be an issue for other channels I don't pay for (like HBO, Cinemax, etc). Since the program guide just says "Local Digital" for my OTA channels, it would be nice if the guide could show me a complete list of what's on.

* Have a way to re-display the signal strength without having to change the channel back and forth again (maybe when I press the info button?).

Also, my "partial guide with video" does not appear to work. The guide shows on the bottom half of the screen, but I get the "Retrieving guide info please wait or press cancel" message is all I see in the video part of the screen. DISH tech support told me to turn off the unit at night to get this to work, but that didn't seem to help.

811 Blackout when changing from OTA to SAT

I've seen the blackout problem also. It doesn't happen all the time, only seems to happen when I switch from OTA to SAT and back very quickly.
Unplugging and replugging seems to get it back, though that is a bit annoying.

sprintcarcrazy said:
Loses sound at times, change channels, then it comes back.

Guide still has only hour or two programming.

I had the sound go away too, but wouldn't come back until after a hard reset and some more channel changing.

I have found video with the guide works, you just have to wait 45-55 seconds for the video to finally show up.

The same is true when looking up programs in the guide past 2 hours.

Each time you scroll right and it starts aquiring guide data, it takes 50+ seconds each time you move to a new block.

This makes the guide useless unless you have lots of time to spare and have the patience of a monk.

Lastly I have noticed pixellation on some of the HD channels now and then. It acts like signal loss during a heavy rain(except it is bright and sunny or clear) when it happens. Almost like the decoder can't keep up with the HD decompression of the signal.

Thats all I've found today, but its early yet. ;)

Well I am showing software ver 263 but still getting a lot of problems.

1: My main problem is with OTA. It does not happen every time but after I select a OTA channel, view the channel for a while then select guide I get a message saying acquiring satellite signal. The only way to fix the problem is to reboot the 811. I think it is a mapping problem?

2: I also get a pixel problem when watching HD. This does happen a lot but does happen. It looks just like when you get a heavy rain storm. It does not last long.

3: The sound on HD is low. When it goes to a commercial the should shoots up.

4: I sure do miss having the 4 day guide I had on my 301. This needs to be fixed

5: Also feel when select a channel, either SD, HD or OTA the response is slow.

Dish really needs to address the problems. I know I am not the only one having them.

263 near as I can tell, did not fix anything obvious.

As I've mentioned in various threads, I think we need to continue to call Dish and make it known that all these issues are annoying and need to be fixed.

Ie Dark -S-Video, local channel mapping, guide issues. Sound issues, though I have not had sound problems.

I am not sure at what point continuing to call Dish is overkill. However the more people that have 811's all reporting similiar issues should get some results in future releases of code..

It would be nice to push to get Dish to post something on their website along with the fact that they have posted new code as to what the issues they feel they have corrected, that way they can get more coordinated feedback from users since they know what to expect..

Here's a weird problem for ya.
There are what, 5 format modes, right?
(Normal, Stretch, Partial Zoom, Full Zoom, Grey Bar)
All of these modes work fine on every one of my
channels except channel 002-01. When tuned to
that channel, and that channel alone, the format
button toggles thru Normal->Stretch->Grey Bar.
Zooming is not an option. I've tried it on all other
OTA channels, and the 7 others work fine, regardless
of the broadcast signal. The other OTAs cover all
possible cases of 480/720/1080, and they all work
normally. I can't think of any way that this particular
station differs from the others in any way.
And the problem exists whether the station is broadcasting
upconverted local programming or passing widescreen
content from the network.
Is my local station broadcasting some kind of signal
that is confusing my 811's software, or does the software
have some kind of hardcoded bug that doesn't allow
zooming on channel 002?

zvogt said:
And the problem exists whether the station is broadcasting
upconverted local programming or passing widescreen
content from the network.

Ah - that must be FOX. All bets are off with formatting and the like - I would bet the farm it's not on the E* end. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)