811 Software Update?

sprinklerguy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 16, 2003
I know, I know....get what you want then complain right?

Anybody know when the software update is coming for the 811, specifically to enable the guide past 2 hours and also to stop the guide with video from working sometimes and sometimes not?

I talked with a tech at Dish this week that specialized in the 811 she said that 264 which fixes the guide and open tv is due in Feb and 265 which fixes the OTA problems and dark output is due approximately 2 moths after that. Don't shoot the messenger I am just repeating what she said. :confused:

jerryez said:
Feb 1st is next Sunday. Feb 28th is ? Of course in December, Dish was promising a fix in January.
Dish actually gets another day to lie to us this year. There is a February 29th. The guide issue is driving me nuts. The OTA is great one day and sucks the next. They are over 60 days late on their promises. Direct TV with their new HD PVR is looking better and better. Especially with their commitment of over double the HD they have now. We have Charlie saying that there is not any more good HD out there. He is partly right but if he waits, he will lose us. WIggy

wiggy said:
Dish actually gets another day to lie to us this year. There is a February 29th. The guide issue is driving me nuts. The OTA is great one day and sucks the next. They are over 60 days late on their promises. Direct TV with their new HD PVR is looking better and better. Especially with their commitment of over double the HD they have now. We have Charlie saying that there is not any more good HD out there. He is partly right but if he waits, he will lose us. WIggy
WHAT COMMITMENT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT ?they just added cbs hd(which makes them equal with dish),

juan said:
WHAT COMMITMENT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT ?they just added cbs hd(which makes them equal with dish),

Look at the *homepage* www.satelliteguys.us:

scott said:
As SatelliteGuys reported first on Saturday DirecTV has big plans for 2004!

SatelliteGuys obtained a letter from DirecTV which is being sent out to dealers over the coming week. This letter lays out a roadmap for their plans for 2004.

Of interest is DirecTV's programming plans for 2004!
Quote:
Our high definition programming will incresae by two or three times including the expansion of local HD centent

jsanders said:
Look at the *homepage* www.satelliteguys.us:
there is really nothing specific in that letter. What was the first thing ole rupert did? Did he add more channels no.... HE RAISED EVERYBODYS RATES BY 3BUCKS!! ..until he does something meaningful (like add channels people want) who cares what his so called plans are

Exactly- folks are eager to praise D* for what they might do and slam E* for what they have done...

And in lots of cases E* are getting slammed for the HD content they are not promising for 04... when we are 30 days into the year.

811 dark picture cleared with different cables.

I was having the dark picture problem with my 811 when it was hooked up to my 19" TV using composite cables. I finally installed my Panasonic plasma TH50PHD6UY and used component hookup with Monster M1000V cables and the picture looks excellent. Every channel is bright and looks great! :cool:

I heard a lot of complaints with dark picture on component. Maybe the signal is weak out of the 811 units and the better cables will resolve the problem.

Just wanted to share my experience with everyone on this board.

Expect 264 Software Right After SuperBowl

I believe Dish has been waiting till after the SuperBowl for the 264 download. They don't want to anger 811 owners if there is some sort of unexpected or untested glitch with the new software to cause problems for folks watching the SuperBowl.

On a different subject, there has been talk on other posts about what I would term OTA channel guide mapping feature for the 921. Essentially if Dish offers locals in your area, you could map or link your OTA channels including your HDTV locals to the guide info for these channels. I don't know if this is only possible with a DVR but it would be great if they could do it with the 811. I would think that most 811 owners that can get their local HDTV stations via OTA, do not subscribe to their locals through Dish. Even if mapping was not possible with the 811, I do not see why Dish does not allow the local guide info to show up as an unsubscribed channel so that at least you could see what was scheduled on your locals. The locals in my area are mostly on a 110 spotbeam with a few minor channels on a wing satellite. I know people who get locals but don't have the extra wing dish and I believe they still get guide info for those wing locals. I certainly can see what adult programming is on and quite a few international channels that I don't subscribe to. I guess I can only hope that perhaps in the 266 software, this feature could be implemented since it would probably be too late for 265.

That is a possibility.

MikeD-C05 said:
Maybe it's that fine Plasma TV you got there that improved the picture. ;)

The only way for me to find out if it's the component cables or the plasma is to switch over to s-video and check the brightness. I will try it today and post my results.

Netstar said:
The only way for me to find out if it's the component cables or the plasma is to switch over to s-video and check the brightness. I will try it today and post my results.
There is another way to check which I have done. I used some monster component cables and checked the picture. Then I used the component cables that came with the 811. There is no discernable difference other than a lighter pocketbook. Six feet or less is no big deal as long as they are decent cables which the ones dish sends are. My toshiba is hooked up via DVI now from my 811 but I was curious about component.

Switched from component to s-video results

Netstar said:

I switched from component to s-video and the picture went dark. Switched back to component and the picture was perfect.

I could not test the difference with the component cables that came with the 811 vs the high-end component cables that I purchased because of length. The 811's component were to short for my setup. I needed the 13ft component cables to reach the equipment.

I use cheap component cables and the picture looks great. I switched to DVI a slight improvement. I've been trying to hook my 811 up to my media center pc and the results from SVideo and Composite are HORRIBLE. The problems with 811 output are, I believe, mostly seen on the SD outs. Adjusting contrast, brightness, and gamma all lead to dismal results. You can't boost an extremely weak signal.

paddy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)