811 Software Updated to 262

Menu 6-1-2

Check without my permission

Turn receiver off.

I had a screen on the TV right away saying downloading software. Don't unplug of turn off receiver.

Kevin_Texas said:
I am with oldman how can you force a software update.

If you turn off the receiver and wait 15 minutes you should get it. If not, your receiver is not yet on the list of updates. Sometimes they gradually roll it out over a few days...

to force an update you change the settings to ask before downloading. Then turn the IRD off for about 10 min turn on and it should ask you if you want to update. Pick yes and power off the receiver for about 30 min.

Basically yeah. I went home at lunch turned my 811 off. Waited 30 min and cut it on. I had the update. I think some of it is how long it takes the update to cycle around in the data stream.

The upgrade totally screwed up my OTA channels, the 811 can't save them. Before the upgrade everything worked fine with the OTA channels.

Closed captioning is worse then before.

Nicu

Kevin_Texas said:
I am with oldman how can you force a software update.

The release went out this AM. To get it, turn off the receiver with your remote. Leave it off for 15 minutes. Turn it back on and you should see it. It might take a little longer than 15 minutes. I turned my TV on in the middle of the download. The picture on the TV said vital program information was being downloaded, do not disturb. I waited and a then it went to aquiring satellite signal and finally to the last watched channel. I checked and had 262 at that time.

my earlier question has yet to be addressed;

Has the upgraded firmware, improved or corrected issues with the output being too dark?

Another question I'd like to add is this;

Does the update improve audio levels? I had noticed that (analog) audio levels are noticeably lower requiring my TV volume to be increased. This leads to a problem when switching to the TV's internal tuner and being blasted with loud audio.

Thanks,
Spence

There was also a slight change to how PSIP worked on the OTA channels. There's one channel that worked fine on the 6K I had. On the 811 it would tune it in only 1 out of 10 times. Now if the 811 can't get it the box removes the channel from my OTA HD channel list completly and I have to readd it if I want to try it again.

Thanks,

I got the download and it totally fixed the aspect problem. Every channel fills up the TV screen on strech and looks great on my 50" Samsung DLP, I'm using DVI connection for all channels.
Thanks Dish, now please fix the dark problem and add more HD programming

"There was also a slight change to how PSIP worked on the OTA channels. There's one channel that worked fine on the 6K I had. On the 811 it would tune it in only 1 out of 10 times. Now if the 811 can't get it the box removes the channel from my OTA HD channel list completly and I have to readd it if I want to try it again"

Same problem here except that it happens to several channels. Before the upgrade it was fine.

Nicu

For those with dark picture problems...different tvs have different black levels, going from direct-view to plama to lcds. Have you tried tweaking your contrast on your tv to get the optimal picture for you tv?

Kevin_Texas said:
Sorry to be stupid but what is PSIP :?:

Quick answer is it's what lets digital OTA station remap their actual channel that they transmit on to another. Example, WTTW-DT in Chicago actually transmits on channel 47 but the receiver remaps it to channel 11-1.

tdigden said:
For those with dark picture problems...different tvs have different black levels, going from direct-view to plama to lcds. Have you tried tweaking your contrast on your tv to get the optimal picture for you tv?

You can adjust these all day and it does nothing to improve the overall quality of the picture on dark or dimly lit scenes. Norm

dim picture

normang said:
tdigden said:

You can adjust these all day and it does nothing to improve the overall quality of the picture on dark or dimly lit scenes. Norm

I wasn't suggesting that it would FIX anybody's problems, just making a suggestion of something to try for those that might not have. I have a an 811 with a Sony HD direct-view and I don't have the problem that I have noticed up to this point. Just trying to be helpful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)