811 White Balance or Contrast

gpflepsen

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
SE NE
Does anyone feel the new 269 shifts the 811's picture too far into the whites? My OTA digitals now seem to be too bright. First the blacks, now the whites. Is it just me?

I wasn't too happy when I first got 269.

Got up early yesterday to retweak with HDNet patterns.

The 0 and 10 on the brightness/contrast pattern both came through with little trouble. To me the picture looks exactly as it did before the update, but the bright/contr settings are a few notches higher on the tv. EDIT: LOWER, that is ... a few notches LOWER (getting up early hits us old folks hard).

Hey
New to Dish Network. I have been looking for calibration patterns. Where are the HDNET patterns at??

Thanks
TWC

timclark said:
Hey
New to Dish Network. I have been looking for calibration patterns. Where are the HDNET patterns at??

Thanks
TWC

Check the HDNET guide. They come on like 5am in West coast time. They are on for 15 minutes.

AcuraCL said:
I wasn't too happy when I first got 269.

Got up early yesterday to retweak with HDNet patterns.

The 0 and 10 on the brightness/contrast pattern both came through with little trouble. To me the picture looks exactly as it did before the update, but the bright/contr settings are a few notches higher on the tv.

So are you still not too happy? I still need to tweak mine but getting up at 5am sucks!

WeeJavaDude said:
So are you still not too happy? I still need to tweak mine but getting up at 5am sucks!

No, actually I am fine with the pic now.

But like Gerry, when I first saw the ramped up brightness, and tried to tweak without the test patterns, I thought the pic was too washed out.

5 am does bite it. For me though, it was 745 am ;)

I had to ramp down the brightness as well for DVI. Not the end of the world, and once that's done the picture quality was once again very good.

I guess I'm lucky in that the problems I've seen with my 811 up until now have been nuisances rather than severe problems.

Cheers,

All
Thanks for the head's up on the calibation patterns. Who the hell can see at 5:00 AM??? Everything for me is soft focus at that point in the day ;-).

I will definitely check it out.

Thanks again to all.

Tim

I agree that 269 over-brightened DVI PQ. My Sammy DLP has 3 presets and 1 viewer custom setting. Back about 264 I kept the setup on Dynamic, which is supposed to be for viewing in a sunlight room, all the time, day and night. Every other standard setting was too dark. Then about 266 they got it almost perfect. Dynamic for daylight and Standard for dark conditions. Movie was still too dark for anything but DVDs. Now with 269, I'm basically on Movie all the time day and night. Dynamic is a near total washout and Standard is still way too bright. Since I seldom use my S-Video or composite outputs, 269's darkness fix was more of a new bug to me. But, I can live with it.

Carl B said:
I agree that 269 over-brightened DVI PQ. My Sammy DLP has 3 presets and 1 viewer custom setting. Back about 264 I kept the setup on Dynamic, which is supposed to be for viewing in a sunlight room, all the time, day and night. Every other standard setting was too dark. Then about 266 they got it almost perfect. Dynamic for daylight and Standard for dark conditions. Movie was still too dark for anything but DVDs. Now with 269, I'm basically on Movie all the time day and night. Dynamic is a near total washout and Standard is still way too bright. Since I seldom use my S-Video or composite outputs, 269's darkness fix was more of a new bug to me. But, I can live with it.

Carl B, In my experience you can get a lot better picture from the Sammy by utilizing the Custom settings. Even tweaking by eye I achieved a better picture than any of the presets. I have a HLN507W1.

NightRyder

I did nothing to my SD settings but I did dial down the contrast and brightness on the HD 5 or 5 click each. Overall I now can watch SD programming through the SVid and have a good picture.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)