82 bird in iowa

cubsfan22

Original poster
Nov 4, 2010
midwest
Wondering about the size of dish I would need for 82 bird in quad city area such as moline illinois and davenport, bettendorf iowa area. Would the dish500 work for both 91 and 82 birds. I saw a map which said I was on or within the green line for a signal strength in the area of 52 in my area. Any information would be appreciate. Thanks

Attachments

• 82 footprint.jpg
    82 footprint.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 148
  • 82 footprint(2).jpg
    82 footprint(2).jpg
    101 KB · Views: 136
You should be alright with a 500 dish. 82W goes as far as Nashville so you should be ok. Of couse bigger is better but if you have a 500 dish lying around you should try it first, I'm sure it will at least have reasonable signal strength for you.

this map is better
attachment.php

I'm just north of you in Minneapolis and a 20" will work but I personally would use a 24" or even a 30" for 82 and keep the 20" for 91W

It looks like Minneapolis is right on the green line as well. I have turbo hd dish which i was thinking of using just for 82 I'll see my signal strength once I try to point it. I have a feeling once out of the green line the signal fades in a hurry. I'm more towards Illinois so I'll be more within the green line then outside of it. Ultimately you don't know until you try. Thanks for the information.

what do the numbers mean?

so on the map, the lines have different colors and numbers. what do the numbers mean?

the numbers refer to EIRP or radiated power of the satellite
the lower the number the bigger the dish needed to get the signal

each satellite is different but for sake of argument the dish needed to get optimal signal would be like this
54-18" (if you're within the "54" ring a 18" dish would be sufficient
52-20"
49-30"
44-48"

anything outside of that is either no signal or very minimal with a large dish.

More Canadian networks rebranded

SW44

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)