82W - Nimiq2 - How Far South in North America are you?

FitzAusTex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 3, 2007
Austin, TX
I'm interested in finding out how far south into the US people are who are getting good signals strengths from Nimiq2 - 82W, and what dish sizes they're using.

I'm particularly interested in the SSs on TPs 17 and 32.

Anyone as far south as Austin, Texas getting solid signals on Nimiq2 - 82W?

Bell in Ft Lauderdale?

where did he say FTA channels?

Maybe the OP wants to make sure he can get coverage in his area with ExpressVu before getting it. After all, those crapelites arent the best :)

Im also interested in Bell.

I live as far south as ft lauderdale Florida. Im very interested in their HD content.
Kusat and Canamsat says its spotty and they dont recomend it.

Any fellow floridians getting Bell HD??

Love to hear if its coming in loud and clear!

I live as far south as ft lauderdale Florida. Im very interested in their HD content.

For South Florida, Kusat and Canamsat are correct.

Yeah I'm talking BEV, not FTA.

Digi, are you talking BEV? If so, I'm very interested in finding out what your SSs are on TP 17 and 32.

Couple more questions concerning BEV in Austin

I'm also in living in Austin .. I have EV up at the cottage back in Canada, but feel it's a waste putting it on suspension every year for 6 months.

I was thinking of getting a dish down here so I could keep up with the news back home.

Can someone give a recommendation about what I'd need? i.e. type/size of dish? where I should point it?

I have a couple of old 3100s I could hook up, but would eventually like to get some of the HD channels for sports. What type of receiver would I have to get for that? Would the HD channels change the dish I would need?

Thanks in advance.

I'm also in living in Austin .. I have EV up at the cottage back in Canada, but feel it's a waste putting it on suspension every year for 6 months.

I was thinking of getting a dish down here so I could keep up with the news back home.

Can someone give a recommendation about what I'd need? i.e. type/size of dish? where I should point it?

I have a couple of old 3100s I could hook up, but would eventually like to get some of the HD channels for sports. What type of receiver would I have to get for that? Would the HD channels change the dish I would need?

Thanks in advance.
Basically at least a 31" dish for each sat (82W, and 91W), if you need all programming, but even then, apparently certain TPs will not probably be available in Austin.

Also I suggest you read through this thread, it should give you a better idea:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...a-help-me-82w-nimiq2-91w-nimiq1-new-post.html

I'm across the alley from you in Fort Myers. As of today, and this can change if they shuffle transponders, I can pick up 90% of the HD channels. Mind you the signal strength is just in the 50's on some transponders, but they do come in.

The channels I am missing are
800 CTV-E
806 CTV-W
819 PBS-E
821 ABC-W
825 WGN
829 Vu PPV Banner channel, not sure if you can get PPV's since I never order them
838 SHW-HD
846 SNHD3 Sportsnet channel only used during certain games, and we're usually blacked out from them on the East coast
847 SENHD Ottawa Senators PPV

Not sure about the french channels, but as you can see, there is still a pretty decent amount of HD to be had here in SW Florida. That being said, I don't know if 100 miles east of here in your location would have fewer channels coming in. I know that only 100 miles north of me near Tampa, I would get all the transponders, so we are right on the cusp.

The other recommendations are good, if you are going to get it, do a 2 dish setup, and make the 82 dish at least a 24".

Something else to keep in mind is that Nimiq4 is scheduled for launch in September, and will replace Nimiq2 (and Nimiq4i/r) at 82W (where the HD channels are). I've spoken to some folks on Digital Forum who believe that the footprint of 82W when using Nimiq4 will significantly change, and be more targeted to Canada. Supposedly the bottom 2/3 of the US is going to lose signal strength (and probably lose signal totally).

I've decided to wait it out till N4 is up and operational to see how this turns out before investing in equipment and a programming contract that I may no longer be able to receive.

Something else to keep in mind is that Nimiq4 is scheduled for launch in September, and will replace Nimiq2 (and Nimiq4i/r) at 82W (where the HD channels are). I've spoken to some folks on Digital Forum who believe that the footprint of 82W when using Nimiq4 will significantly change, and be more targeted to Canada. Supposedly the bottom 2/3 of the US is going to lose signal strength (and probably lose signal totally).

I've decided to wait it out till N4 is up and operational to see how this turns out before investing in equipment and a programming contract that I may no longer be able to receive.

I wonder if the people that are saying they know where the footprint will be are just speculating. Here's what I have been told from someone on the inside a month ago:

1) Nimiq 4's KU transponders will be full NA Conus and the KA will be spotbeams towards each province. Of course this can be affected by any issues the satellite may have after launch.

2) The launch has been possibly pushed back to early 2009. If this is true, I doubt Nimiq will be running until about 9 months to a year from now at the earliest.

3) The big plan for Expressvu a few years ago was to do a 91, 82, 72 setup. That might still happen 2010 or later. And they were also looking at trying to get a more Western slot or two for their west coast coverage.

As they say you will never know what will happen until it happens. Plans can change quickly.

I've read on a number of forums that Nimiq 4 will not have a footprint below 39 or 42 degrees latitude, and the 39-42 will vary depending on your location in North America. I'm at 30 degrees, so probably SOL.

I don't know if this applies to only those with the BEV 20" dishes, or if folks in the US might still be able to get acceptable signals from the soon to be launched Nimiq 4 at 82W with a 31", 36" or larger dish.

I'm going to wait it out to find out how this actually shakes out.

I've read on a number of forums that Nimiq 4 will not have a footprint below 39 or 42 degrees latitude, and the 39-42 will vary depending on your location in North America.

That doesn't sound right but maybe that's true and it's been changed. Is this information from Bell or from the docs filed about the satellite?

Is your information coming from inside or official sources?

That doesn't sound right but maybe that's true and it's been changed. Is this information from Bell or from the docs filed about the satellite?

Is your information coming from inside or official sources?
Not very official at all. One poster claimed to 'be in the know', but I take what anyone states as unofficial/speculation. I'm hoping to happen upon something official.

Can you check again with your 'insider' who gave you info a month ago?

I'll let you know if I hear anything else. It's hard to get official updates as the companies involved are trying to keep it all internal. Delays cost money.

Here's what has been released officially as of the end of May.
"Troubles at a Russian launch site could push the flight of a new Nimiq satellite into 2009, increasing pressure on Telesat Canada and its U.S. owner."
New Telesat satellite could face delays

As for seeing if you can get 82. Why not just swing a dish over and see if you can see it? Or throw one up on a tripod? From what I've been told, the signal strength screen on a Dish Network receiver will show Bell's sats.

I'll let you know if I hear anything else. It's hard to get official updates as the companies involved are trying to keep it all internal. Delays cost money.

Here's what has been released officially as of the end of May.
"Troubles at a Russian launch site could push the flight of a new Nimiq satellite into 2009, increasing pressure on Telesat Canada and its U.S. owner."
New Telesat satellite could face delays

As for seeing if you can get 82. Why not just swing a dish over and see if you can see it? Or throw one up on a tripod? From what I've been told, the signal strength screen on a Dish Network receiver will show Bell's sats.
Oh, I'm fairly confident from what others have told me that I would get an acceptable signal on 82W now - but my concern is when N4 replaces N2. That's when those in the bottom 2/3 of the US will allegedly become hosed...

Oh, I'm fairly confident from what others have told me that I would get an acceptable signal on 82W now - but my concern is when N4 replaces N2. That's when those in the bottom 2/3 of the US will allegedly become hosed...

You could also get hit by a bus tomorrow...As with life, enjoy it while it lasts. All of the energy posting and worrying about it, you could've been watching TV :D

No one will know until Nimiq 4 is sucessfully launched, parked and tested what the exact coverage will be. From what I read, the satellite design is full conus and much stronger signalwise than Bell's current birds.

If it is aimed too far north, it will cause interference to other countries on the other side of the earth.

It's really funny that people who do not have anything to do with Loral/Telesat/Bell are giving out exact coverage details on a satellite that hasn't even been launched yet. :haha

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)