82W - Nimiq2 - How Far South in North America are you?

You could also get hit by a bus tomorrow...As with life, enjoy it while it lasts. All of the energy posting and worrying about it, you could've been watching TV :D

No one will know until Nimiq 4 is sucessfully launched, parked and tested what the exact coverage will be. From what I read, the satellite design is full conus and much stronger signalwise than Bell's current birds.

If it is aimed too far north, it will cause interference to other countries on the other side of the earth.

It's really funny that people who do not have anything to do with Loral/Telesat/Bell are giving out exact coverage details on a satellite that hasn't even been launched yet. :haha
Nah, not funny at all, that's what makes this stuff a hobby. Speculation is part of the fun.

At any rate, I've read too many posts indicating a major change in the footprint for 82W is forthcoming. As it is mighty expensive to commit to equipment and 24 months w/Bell, I'll wait and see what actually comes of it, and I'll report it here. If I ask nice, Digi might check SS with his FTA motorized Dish.

And as you pointed out, in the meantime I should get back to watching some TV - I've got 2TB of movies and such stored on my E* external HD :)

Why would anyone outside Canada even bother considering signing up for Expressvu now in light of the privatization of BCE?

There are too many uncertainties outside of whether the N4 footprint will cover all of the US. For example, this is the biggest leveraged buyout in global history. The $32B cdn in debt must be reduced a.s.a.p.

You see action of this front daily: 2500 middle managers (avg salary $100k) were given their pink slips yesterday. They already sold 1/2 the transponders @ 72 to Charlie. As soon as Charlie gets FCC approval to operate all transponders on N5, expect BCE to sell them off as well.

BCE will focus any available capital on fixing their highest return area first - Bell Mobility which is trailing Rogers & Telus badly. They know they have offer some sort of tv service to be bundled with line phone service in Ontario & Quebec to compete against the cable bundles ... but who says it has to Expressvu satellite.

It's ok for Canadians to signup for if Expressvu is ultimately closed down; they will get some sort of deal like Primestar customers did. But for southern subs .. just another boat anchor or 2.

On a side note, while BCE is busy selling satellite bandwidth, Industry Canada announced that Ciel has forfeited their ku extended band slot @ 111.1 and it has been awarded to Telesat. Telesat has approached SBS/SC owners Shaw with a deal that would add 100+ HD channels with a simple LNBF swapout - no dish realignment required.

Austin SS on 82W

I'm interested in finding out how far south into the US people are who are getting good signals strengths from Nimiq2 - 82W, and what dish sizes they're using.

I'm particularly interested in the SSs on TPs 17 and 32.

Anyone as far south as Austin, Texas getting solid signals on Nimiq2 - 82W?

I'm in Austin, have a separate 30" dish for 82W, and get 79% SS on both 17 & 32.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts