86 mile reception possible?

Antenna Installed

Jerry rigged a Winegard 8800 at 8ft., 100 ft. rg6, no amp. last night and was receiving most all channels down to KMTV 45 (3.1), lost 20, 22 and 45 at 9 a.m. this morning. Was wondering if anyone has played around with antennas enough to know if an amp and maybe 10 more ft. on the height. could possibly bring in the dropped channels during the daylight hours? Is there an average db. drop from night to daylight? Heve read good and bad results from amp installs on amazon.com and was wondering if my situation just might be able to take advantage of a pre amp. Thanks

Last edited:
More likely a propagation effect rather than a gain issue. Monitor the channels for a few days to see if this is a daily occurrence. If the signal drops just below threshold, a better antenna and a quality inline amp may do the trick.

In the summer it is predictable in my installation to lose local Sacramento market channels between sunrise and 10am and again shortly after sunset and instead receive channels from San Francisco/Jose markets (125+ miles away). This does not happen in colder weather and during the winter months. No amplification or antenna position overcomes this.

My install is rather unique as I am in a valley with no direct line of sight to any station. Without a quality inline amplifier, I receive no channels, with an inline amp 10 channels.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts