8PSK and HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pittsville

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
38N 75W
I've been looking at some ads for HD receivers and I see that they have this 8PSK option available.

Is this something that decent, God fearing folks would have any use for? If so, what is it? If not, I don't want to know.

I am thinking of maybe getting an HD receiver and I would like it to be able to receive everything currently availiable that's FTA. I also don't want to spend extra money for anything that doesn't have a legitimate use. I haven't seen any ads that offer an explanation of what that 8PSK is supposed to do, so it made me sort of suspicous that it might be a piracy enhancement?

I would also like to have ATSC in the receiver because I have a big old projection TV the size of a smart car that is "HD ready". The TV refuses to die so I can't justify replacing it until I finally buy something to take advantage of the HD capability of the TV. I figure if I do that, the old set won't last much longer and I will be forced:) to get a flat panel.

So as far as an HD FTA receiver, what are the most capable receivers currently available? ATSC isn't an absolute must but it would obviously be a plus for me if any of them have it.

If it says anything about Turbo 8PSK then you can stay away from it, instead it is better to buy a receiver that supports DVB-S2 (There are more DVB-S2 feeds on C-Band than on the Ku-Band).
What receivers are you looking at?

I was looking at a Infusion Nuvenio and one of the Captiveworks models that was said to be HD. I can't remember what model it was but it had all kinds of features including (I think) a web browser. I just started looking at them last night.

I was looking for old powervu receivers on eBay after reading Iceberg's posts on them, and I ended up looking at a listing for a Neveno. From there I found listings for other HD receivers including I think a Pansat, but I didn't really make note of the exact model numbers because I thought I could come here and have it all explained to me without having to do any research work myself.

I have looked into the old Powervu receivers before and I figured they could be used for FTA with limited functionality. I thought it might be nice to have one connected to a fixed Channelmaster dish for use as a music receiver from the IA5, (but I have trouble with signal strength on that satellite with my 90cm dish), and the music channels are gone now as well.....

Is 8psk something that I would want to have for regular FTA use?

Forgot to ad RE C Band

I do have a 10 foot dish but I haven't been able to get it set up yet, due to a lack of a mounting pipe. I've been trying to find a free pipe since buying one looks like it would be at least 70 dollars.

I want to play around with the C band but I don't have a motor positioner. I've also been looking around for an old receiver with a positioner in it so I don't have to buy one. Also I'm not sure I want to run all of those extra wires for the motor and servo on the C band dish. I thought I would probably leave it fixed on one satellite, or if nothing else just have the dish out there because they look so cool. Also I'm not sure if the LNB and feedhorn that came with the dish are any good and I don't know if I want to buy a new one. I'm going to try it, but the dish might have to end up just being in my yard as a work of art.

The CaptiveWorks 4000 model only does Turbo 8PSK (It uses a Genpix tuner), so my best guess is that the lower HD models are the same, if you want a receiver that does useful for FTA 8PSK then it must be advertised as DVB-S2 or Trellis (expensive commercial receivers).
I could not find any information on the "Infusion Nuvenio".

The correct brand name is nFusion.

I did find some information about what the 8PSK is for when I checked for the right name, and it had some listings for FTA channels where the 8PSK was needed. They were all on C band.

I guess the extra 100 dollars or so that they want for 8PSK is probably something that might be worth having if I ever get the big dish working. I suppose it might have some Ku band use as well?

I found the nFusion, it does talk about some of the DVB-S2 feeds on C-Band but the receiver is not advertised as a DVB-S2 receiver (and at another website it is advertised as Turbo 8PSK :().

A while back a member here purchased a receiver with the 8PSK module (Also advertised being able to pick up C-Band DVB-S2) but received the useless Turbo 8PSK module instead, the member sent the module back for the correct one but was sent the Turbo 8PSK again, so be careful to make sure it is 8PSK for DVB-S2 and not Turbo 8PSK.

OK, thanks.

I think I had enough fun just thinking about it for now, and it would probably be a good idea to set up the dish first, to make sure the LNB works at all before I try to receive any new kinds of signals.

(There are more DVB-S2 feeds on C-Band than on the Ku-Band).

Are feeds on KU just data? If not allowed on the forum, can someone PM me these DVB-S2 channels/feeds available on KU? Would like to tune in with my DVBWorld DVBS2 box.

According to Lyngsat, There are now 2 Ku band HD/8PSK channels on AMC3....The Florida Knowledge Network and the Florida Channel. They used to be on Digicipher2.

Now I have to start thinking about getting a DVB-S2 capable PC card. :)

According to Lyngsat, There are now 2 Ku band HD/8PSK channels on AMC3....The Florida Knowledge Network and the Florida Channel. They used to be on Digicipher2.

Now I have to start thinking about getting a DVB-S2 capable PC card. :)

Lyngsat has the right info their listed, but they are not HD channels, they are 480p.

a state public broadcaster has just lit up on AMC-21 in DVB-S2 (4 SD and 1 HD feed in the mux). I can't get it on my 90cm (a little bit of G18 interference to the signal, preventing it from being clean enough to lock), but no problem on my 7.5 and 10 foot dishes.

a state public broadcaster has just lit up on AMC-21 in DVB-S2 (4 SD and 1 HD feed in the mux). I can't get it on my 90cm (a little bit of G18 interference to the signal, preventing it from being clean enough to lock), but no problem on my 7.5 and 10 foot dishes.

Are you in the South East ? That's the area that I expect would be most troublesome distinguishing between 12W and 125W .
:?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)