CNBC minimal-delayed Signal. I need an expert and am willing to compensate.

Coastal CT Guy

Original poster
Mar 10, 2024
Connecticut
I'm trying to find the least delayed CNBC signal I can. I'm not looking to hack in (but might do it out of desperation), I'm just looking for someone more expert in how they broadcast, and what is available either FTA or by subscription. And I'm certainly willing to compensate someone who can help me get there. I'm on east coast of U.S.

As a small individual stock trader, seconds matter. The large institutions and news organizations certainly receive CNBC with virtually no delay. Stock price movements prove this. As a cable TV or streaming CNBC subscriber the delay can be anywhere from 15 to 45 seconds, which for a trader, IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SUCCESS AND FAILURE.

I previously was able to receive CNBC through one of my brokerages with an approximate 2 second delay from real time. It's easy to calculate as CNBC has a real time clock on their screen and you can compare it to the National Time Clock.

That video however, disappeared a few years ago (not sure why they eliminated it) and I've not seen anything close to it, currently the best signal I get is 15 seconds delayed.

All that said, I'm not trying to take some shortcut, I just want to do this right and am not an expert (although I can hold my on technology). I'm willing to put in a 10ft dish if necessary. I'll pay a subscription if necessary, I'll buy whatever equipment is necessary (within reason). I haven't been able to find a CNBC commercial account contact to see if I can get a direct feed subscription. Again, I just haven't yet found a solution that isn't less than 15 second delayed.

Anybody out there got any ideas???

FYI, there have been a couple of previous threads discussing this subject over the last 14 years, neither seemed to end in success, or if they did, the solution was not shared.

Here are links to the previous threads.... And yes if I solve this, I'd be more than willing to share what works with this forum.

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards,
CT Coastal Guy

Years ago I did a bunch of consulting work and supported Dow Jones Telerate feeds for brokerages and some private equity firms who also ran proprietary trading desks. They were looking to do similar things. It was all I could do to get the message into their collective heads that the days of using CATV or satellite mechanisms for data transfer were over. We are wholly in the era of no longer hearing the neighborhood simultaneously cheer the grand slam in the World Series or the extra-time goal in the World Cup. That era is history. This is the world of stacked streaming buffers of various sizes, fed by varying packet rates.

Your best bang for your buck would be to research the Bloomberg Professional Services APIs and the various APIs available from your brokerage, etc. to see what can be programmed and displayed on a separate desktop display as a stream of news headlines with personalized alerts. Relegate the "talking box" to an asynchronous, delayed video version of a 100 character headline that you can read with minimal delay.

Everyone else's mileage may vary.

Reactions: harshness
I'm trying to find the least delayed CNBC signal I can. I'm not looking to hack in (but might do it out of desperation), I'm just looking for someone more expert in how they broadcast, and what is available either FTA or by subscription. And I'm certainly willing to compensate someone who can help me get there. I'm on east coast of U.S.

As a small individual stock trader, seconds matter. The large institutions and news organizations certainly receive CNBC with virtually no delay. Stock price movements prove this. As a cable TV or streaming CNBC subscriber the delay can be anywhere from 15 to 45 seconds, which for a trader, IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SUCCESS AND FAILURE.

I previously was able to receive CNBC through one of my brokerages with an approximate 2 second delay from real time. It's easy to calculate as CNBC has a real time clock on their screen and you can compare it to the National Time Clock.

That video however, disappeared a few years ago (not sure why they eliminated it) and I've not seen anything close to it, currently the best signal I get is 15 seconds delayed.

All that said, I'm not trying to take some shortcut, I just want to do this right and am not an expert (although I can hold my on technology). I'm willing to put in a 10ft dish if necessary. I'll pay a subscription if necessary, I'll buy whatever equipment is necessary (within reason). I haven't been able to find a CNBC commercial account contact to see if I can get a direct feed subscription. Again, I just haven't yet found a solution that isn't less than 15 second delayed.

FYI, there have been a couple of previous threads discussing this subject over the last 14 years, neither seemed to end in success, or if they did, the solution was not shared.

Here are links to the previous threads.... And yes if I solve this, I'd be more than willing to share what works with this forum.

Regards,
CT Coastal Guy
Thanks for the input. I'm guessing there is a nice cottage industry consulting for Hedge Funds & Institutions regarding lowest latency technologies for data / news feeds.

You may have heard of the hedge funds that place their data centers in buildings next to the Nasdaq and NYSE exchange data centers, just to shave a nanosecond or two off of their quotes/trades. For them, it's THAT important.

For what I do, I can actually scrape out a profit with a two second delay. For me it's more about having company specific knowledge that takes interpretation and takes a few seconds for the market to absorb. The big market makers / hedge funds just try to front run each other for a $10 profit on a $100K trade, and do it 1000 times per day.

I don't subscribe to Bloomberg, last I checked it costs about $35K per year per seat, that's of questionable value for a little guy like me. I use other services tailored more toward the individual traders for about 1/3 of what Bloomberg would cost. And as you suggest, the big guys may very well have API's integrated with their Bloomberg terminals to minimize CNBC & other News network delays.

I might be able to find or have someone create some kind of API to work with one of my two brokerage / trading services. That's over my pay grade and I may have to start picking the brains of the couple of coders I know.

I was just hoping there was a straight forward direct broadcast satellite way of bypassing the delays/buffers associated with all of the standard cable/streaming services.

For what it's worth, the shortest delay I've found currently is audio only through Sirius XM satellite, at about 15 seconds.

Bloomberg Business does have a FTA ITC unencrypted channel on 127W Galaxy 13 Satellite at 4020/H/30000.
127° W
(Galaxy 13/Horizons 1)​

4020 H
DVB-S2
8PSK
30000-5/6

Thanks for the input. I'm guessing there is a nice cottage industry consulting for Hedge Funds & Institutions regarding lowest latency technologies for data / news feeds.

You may have heard of the hedge funds that place their data centers in buildings next to the Nasdaq and NYSE exchange data centers, just to shave a nanosecond or two off of their quotes/trades. For them, it's THAT important.

For what I do, I can actually scrape out a profit with a two second delay. For me it's more about having company specific knowledge that takes interpretation and takes a few seconds for the market to absorb. The big market makers / hedge funds just try to front run each other for a $10 profit on a $100K trade, and do it 1000 times per day.

I don't subscribe to Bloomberg, last I checked it costs about $35K per year per seat, that's of questionable value for a little guy like me. I use other services tailored more toward the individual traders for about 1/3 of what Bloomberg would cost. And as you suggest, the big guys may very well have API's integrated with their Bloomberg terminals to minimize CNBC & other News network delays.

I might be able to find or have someone create some kind of API to work with one of my two brokerage / trading services. That's over my pay grade and I may have to start picking the brains of the couple of coders I know.

I was just hoping there was a straight forward direct broadcast satellite way of bypassing the delays/buffers associated with all of the standard cable/streaming services.

For what it's worth, the shortest delay I've found currently is audio only through Sirius XM satellite, at about 15 seconds.
Bloomberg Business does have a FTA unencrypted channel on 127W Galaxy 13 Satellite at 4020/H/30000, but I don't believe there's any sort of delay.

All of the CNBC Business channels I've seen were encrypted. They used to be in the clear on one of the Canadian birds, but I haven't seen them there for sometime.

Here's the problem with C-Band these days. I'm constantly chasing down channels because they were either moved or encrypted. If they scramble, even if you do relocate them, you're still SOL.

A person without the basics on how to install and align a dish, isn't going to have much luck keeping up with channel moves or frequency changes. It's even more difficult with the 5G crap causing problems on certain satellites.

www.tvrosat.com is a good site to get some idea what you're up against. If you go under the Satellite Charts section, you can look at the programming on each satellite. Anything listed as FTA will be available on most any FTA receiver.

Good luck, but I think you may be chasing your tail on this one. Best of luck.

Regards,
CT Coastal Guy
I don't know if this will help or not, but at least it is somewhere to start. CNBC Leadership Team