CNBC "original" signal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hal2000

Original poster
May 9, 2007
Ellicott City, MD
I'm pretty much stuck and hope that some of the C band guru's on the board could help out.

I want to get the fastest signal possible from CNBC (business station), with audio being most important, and video secondary.

CNBC occasionally has market moving stories, and I want to hear them as quickly as possible. I am not concerned about picture quality .

Is it possible to get the "original" cnbc signal off the AMC-10 satellite http://www.nbcunetworks.com/insidenbccable/networks/cnbc/resources/techinfo.html .

A retransmission off another satellite will result in too much delay. eg (directv or dish)

I am currently a comcast customer and their CNBC feed is at least 8 to 10 seconds delayed.

Thank you in advance.

You can get audio off the powervu feed on Galaxy16 satellite, KU side, if you have a fta receiver. No video but the sound was in the clear a few days ago. I dont know if it's
delayed from the other feed you mention (arent ALL those market reports delayed a couple of min or more anyway?) The delay is noticeable on direct/dish because of the re-uplinking on a lot of the channels. Don't know if you'll get the info any faster than that off satellite tv, I watch it also during the day sometimes. But Im not playing the market, just curious.

first thank you for all of the responses.

I know that there is a 5-7 broadcast delay but then after that cable systems may delay the signal up to 20 seconds.

I apologize for the newbie questions but Ive tried to educate myself off resources off the internet and Im still in pre- kidergarten.

Since the original signal is off the AMC-10 .. if you're pulling the signal off Intelsat 3 and galaxy 16. how is the signal getting there for retransmission?

Is the signal going from nbc studios up to AMC-10 then back to earth then back up to Intelesat 3 or Galaxy 16?

or

is the signal going from nbc studios up to amc-10. then to Intelesat 3 /Galaxy 16 then back to earth?

This may be a long shot but is anyone willing to test it over the phone during the day (put the phone next to the tv) ? it would take a maximum 3-5 minutes (not including a commercial break).

It is a sizeable investment only to have it not to work. I know im a newbie member so making such requests is pretty bold and assuming. I could send a small token of appreciation via paypal $25 or $50. My nightmare scenario would be spending the money on a skyvision 12 and motorola 4dtv only to have it slower than my current Comcast cable

Thank you in advance

Hal Uy

Last edited:
There main distribution feed seems to be off of AMC-10 transponder 13, all other uplinked feeds are just refeeds from this source, there is no way to get the main distribution feed since they use DCII megapipe and a 4dtv is not compatible with this, unless you work at a cable headend you are only able to receive the rebroadcasted feeds, some may have more delay than others.

You can get audio off the powervu feed on Galaxy16 satellite, KU side, if you have a fta receiver. No video but the sound was in the clear a few days ago. I dont know if it's
delayed from the other feed you mention (arent ALL those market reports delayed a couple of min or more anyway?) The delay is noticeable on direct/dish because of the re-uplinking on a lot of the channels. Don't know if you'll get the info any faster than that off satellite tv, I watch it also during the day sometimes. But Im not playing the market, just curious.

I just checked and the audio is also encrypted.

Looks like the 4DTV wouldnt get you the master signal then, Hal. Since the other feeds are just re-uplinks, that would be another couple of seconds delay. I guess if its on the net, it would be delayed more than the video feed. You may be SOL on this one.

Excuse my ignorance or skepticism, how likely is it really that you're ever going to end up saying "damn, wish I'd known that EIGHT SECONDS earlier, it would have made a real difference" - do stock prices change a significant amount in that length of time?

The most recent example which spurred me to investigate Cband /KU Band feeds was the David Faber annoucement about the DJ takeover. I was about 3-4 seconds slow and I coudlnt fill. If you had the fastest CNBC feed possible, once could have easily purchased DJ and sell for 15+ points later that day.

By the time i placed my order i was already chasing it up 5 pts. in hindsight I should have chased it up but I didnt have time to think.

Hope no one minds me bumping this thread. I see it's almost three years old, but I've been trying to solve the same problem as Hal, off and on, for several years, and found this thread through a google search today.

I imagine this type of technology moves along at a pretty rapid pace. Is there now a way to receive the same "master" cnbc signal that is sent to cable providers? If that's not possible, is there a way to determine which method of receiving the signal would be the next fastest and receive that? I don't necessarily need the "master" signal....I just need to be as close to the beginning of the transmission chain as is possible.

Thanks everyone....

CNBC now has an HD channel. It's on Galaxy 14 in DVB-S2 format. But it's encrypted and just for headends, not consumers, so it won't help you.

The distribution feed is indeed encrypted and DISH and DIRECTV and cable companies are only about 2-3 seconds behind the distribution feed. You do need both video and audio because not every breaking news is talked about right away - if CNBC is in the middle of an interview or other topic, they'll post a Breaking News graphic moments or minutes before they even speak about it on air.

your best bet is to work at CNBC (but you'll probably get fired for acting on info before it gets to air) or spend money on a good brokerage or wire service that'll give you access to the info before CNBC parses and reports them. If you are cheap, you can probably find a wire source for your company of interest and get the releases and act on them before CNBC goes to air with it.

The CNBC master feed will never be available to us to subscribe too anymore. When CNBC left analog that was the end of that. They don't want us to have it, so you will have to use a delayed source from a second generation.

Ok, so it sounds like the distribution signal ship has sailed. Is there anyway to think your way through which way of receiving cnbc would be the quickest? I know it sounds ridiculous, but one second or even a fraction of a second would be significant.

Ok, so it sounds like the distribution signal ship has sailed. Is there anyway to think your way through which way of receiving cnbc would be the quickest? I know it sounds ridiculous, but one second or even a fraction of a second would be significant.

Subscribe to a premium news service that will get you the releases/info and you can act on them before CNBC breaks it on-air.

I don't think you could even calculate if cable or DBS is faster -- since you don't have a reference point for the master feed - or if the time difference between various sources is more than 1 second.

You can contact NBC Universal for a commercial subscription. Just say you run a cable system for a facility or apartment complex. It'll cost around $1000 per year for a small amount of subscriber outlets.

Thanks for all the replies. Could you elaborate on the process behind getting a commercial subscription from nbc universal, emuman (or anyone really)? Is this something you've dealt with before? Who exactly would I contact? Would I still be using a BUD to receive this signal? Thanks for all the help....

Status
Please reply by conversation.