8psk turbo and dvb-s2 8psk in one receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

i4tas

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
Northern USA
Is there a receiver that can do 8psk turbo and standard dvb-s2 at the same time?

I'd like to watch the "free preview channels" and amc 21 on the same box?

Having an ATSC tuner would also be a plus...

From my research the answer is no.

Me thinks you are correct. Unless one goes with a PCI card that can do both. Can't, at this time, remember the brand that could. (gen-something ??)

Actually Broadcom has a single chip receiver that claims will do this. Maybe will be inside the next FTA STB to come along.

BCM4505 - DVB-S2 Advanced Modulation Satellite Receiver

The BCM4505 is a fully integrated satellite receiver single-chip solution targeted at multituner advanced modulation satellite receiver systems and ideally suited for new-generation satellite receivers and integrated multifunction Home Media Centers.

The BCM4505 integrates a CMOS tuner and advanced modulation decoder supporting DVB-S2 Broadcast, DVB-S, DIRECTV®, and 8PSK Turbo applications. The highly integrated tuner section is based on existing volume-production Broadcom technologies and a direct-conversion technology to reduce external components and increase performance.

The BCM4505 is designed to support the full 1-45 Msps DVB operating range with support for 250 to 2150 MHz input frequencies.

• Dual direct conversion satellite tuners in standard CMOS process that supports QPSK and 8PSK demodulation with input frequency ranges from 250 to 2150 MHz and integrated 8-bit A/D converters
  • Integrated advanced demodulation decoder supports DVB-S2 Broadcast, DVB-S, 8PSK Turbo
  • Highly integrated, cost effective front-end solution for advanced modulation satellite systems in a single package
  • Ideal for next-generation PVR satellite systems and Home Media Centers, supporting DVB-S2 Broadcast while maintaining backward-compatible support for DVB-S legacy transmissions.

Broadcom.com - BCM4505 - DVB-S2 Advanced Modulation Satellite Receiver

Last edited:
The hitch in this Broadcom chip~ No where do they say this chip can support all those modulations simultaneously. :(

It already exists. The tuner that's in the Dreambox 800 SE can do it, but code has to be written for it. Dream Multimedia isn't interested in writing the code, though, because they can't use it anywhere but here in the US, and, as I said in another thread, we are a TINY market for them to invest coding in. :cool:

PLUS you have to figure all of the guys that hoist the jolly roger from their dish 500 masts would like it too, Dreambox folks also would have to consider that from a legal standpoint, I would think.

Dreambox is a nice box too, only box I own that will display and RECORD high bitrate feeds without a hiccup. doesn't do 4:2:2, but you can record it and watch the file on your computer or wherever. Has a nice web interface to do all that too.

It would be SCHWEET to have Turbo though, for those times we have temporary channels that are ITC. :)

Last edited:
It already exists. The tuner that's in the Dreambox 800 SE can do it, but code has to be written for it. Dream Multimedia isn't interested in writing the code, though, because they can't use it anywhere but here in the US, and, as I said in another thread, we are a TINY market for them to invest coding in. :cool:

It would be SCHWEET to do though, for those times we have temporary channels that are ITC.

Yea schweet like u say for the dam hackers to say the least

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

throw in dc2 and 4:2:2, and an enormous signal bar that i can see from .5 miles away that also beeps and i will sleep on it.
i really dont want much...:cool:

Have chatted in the past with their team regarding the inclusion of several desirable features and it is very likely that they will avoid activating turbo8 even for the true FTA hobbyists. The distribution of an FTA receiver to receive turbo8 was cited in several court documents implicating companies involved in theft of service against Dish Network. Even though the reception of unencrypted turbo is completely legal, the inclusion of turbo8 places a big target on the back of any company importing the product into North America.

I'd like to watch the "free preview channels"

Having an ATSC tuner would also be a plus...

I don't remember there being anything on the demo channels.
And if you're talking about the times they give you free HBO for a week to get users interested, those are still encrypted, just freely accessible by all DishNet users.
Not in-the-clear.

As for OTA, I've totally given up on that, and bought a much better solution.
Getting all the programming right for the North American OTA market, is apparently too big a job for FTA builders.
And besides, if you had it, then you'd want Guide, too! :)
I got all that in: Silicon Dust, HD Home Run - two tuners and an ethernet interface.

Both DishNet and DirecTV do not adhere to the common transmission formats.
DN uses Turbo, and DTV uses something prior to DVB (dunno what they use in their HD).
So, anyone who supports those non-standard formats puts a big target on their back.

I don't remember there being anything on the demo channels.
And if you're talking about the times they give you free HBO for a week to get users interested, those are still encrypted, just freely accessible by all DishNet users.
Not in-the-clear.

As for OTA, I've totally given up on that, and bought a much better solution.
Getting all the programming right for the North American OTA market, is apparently too big a job for FTA builders.
And besides, if you had it, then you'd want Guide, too! :)
I got all that in: Silicon Dust, HD Home Run - two tuners and an ethernet interface.

Both DishNet and DirecTV do not adhere to the common transmission formats.
DN uses Turbo, and DTV uses something prior to DVB (dunno what they use in their HD).
So, anyone who supports those non-standard formats puts a big target on their back.

I know exactly what FTA channels I want to watch that are on 8psk turbo channel. But since I don't like advertising "whats up there", I said something else. I need ATSC to record and timeshift locals and a 100 dollar FTA box with PVR is the cheapest solution. I can get my guide via internet or PCI card.

Actually Broadcom has a single chip receiver that claims will do this. Maybe will be inside the next FTA STB to come along. BCM4505 - DVB-S2 Advanced Modulation Satellite Receiver The BCM4505 is a fully integrated satellite receiver single-chip solution targeted at multituner advanced modulation satellite receiver systems and ideally suited for new-generation satellite receivers and integrated multifunction Home Media Centers. The BCM4505 integrates a CMOS tuner and advanced modulation decoder supporting DVB-S2 Broadcast, DVB-S, DIRECTV®, and 8PSK Turbo applications. The highly integrated tuner section is based on existing volume-production Broadcom technologies and a direct-conversion technology to reduce external components and increase performance. The BCM4505 is designed to support the full 1-45 Msps DVB operating range with support for 250 to 2150 MHz input frequencies.

• Dual direct conversion satellite tuners in standard CMOS process that supports QPSK and 8PSK demodulation with input frequency ranges from 250 to 2150 MHz and integrated 8-bit A/D converters
  • Integrated advanced demodulation decoder supports DVB-S2 Broadcast, DVB-S, 8PSK Turbo
  • Highly integrated, cost effective front-end solution for advanced modulation satellite systems in a single package
  • Ideal for next-generation PVR satellite systems and Home Media Centers, supporting DVB-S2 Broadcast while maintaining backward-compatible support for DVB-S legacy transmissions.
Broadcom.com - BCM4505 - DVB-S2 Advanced Modulation Satellite Receiver
genpix already ruled this one out here:
Actually, I do have this chip, and I even have several silicon revisions of this chip. These different revisions have slightly different capabilities. But guess what: neither of them is working with Turbo-coded modulations. This flimsy-two-page-brief-chip-description may say many good things. It may describe that this chip can support a lot of different modulations. But nowhere it says that all of them are supported simultaneously (on a single silicon revision). And you simply misinterpret what Broadcom stated (they have different revisions for different market; and there is NO market for the chip which can do everything in that list - did you ever think about that?). At this moment, I think that BCM4505/4506 silicon version with enabled turbo-coded support simply does not exist. No wonder that Echostar does not use BCM4505/4506 in their receivers. They continue to use old BCM4500 in their most recent receivers. And when everybody is on a "green" hype, BCM4500 is not very green (it needs about 4 times more energy then BCM4506; keep in mind that BCM4506 is dual tuner, that is energy consumption per tuner is even more contrast). So, Since I don't have access to a big dish, I can not check those slow-SR TPs on C-band. If you know slow-SR signals in Ku band, I may try them with SkyWalker-3 and confirm weather it's capable or not.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)