8PSK-Turbo Code

Don't like dragging up old threads but was looking for info on 8psk and why Dish uses it and Directv doesn't and this has excellent information. :)

My question is if Directv is stuck with the number of channels it has per transponder or if there is any newer technology that might allow them to take a leap forward like Dish did with 8psk? Does anyone know if progress is being made along those lines in the past year?

Don't like dragging up old threads but was looking for info on 8psk and why Dish uses it and Directv doesn't and this has excellent information. :)

My question is if Directv is stuck with the number of channels it has per transponder or if there is any newer technology that might allow them to take a leap forward like Dish did with 8psk? Does anyone know if progress is being made along those lines in the past year?

I believe they are using DVB-S2 8PSK on the new Ka birds but they do have to running a bigger FEC budget due to the signal loss issues with KA band.

Hate to bump this zombie thread again, but this thread popped up in my google search for some info.

I hope someone can chime in and help settle a discussion I'm having with a colleague.

Can someone point out the technologies that Dish/BELL uses for HD broadcasts in the following list?
DVB-S or DVB-S2
8psk or turbo coded 8psk
FEC or turbo FEC

My understanding is Dish uses DVB-S + turbo 8psk + normal FEC rates.
If I expand on this a little more, it means a regular DVB-S tuner with the correct demodulator that supports turbo 8psk and normal FEC rates can tune the signal.

My colleague insists that a DVB-S2 tuner must be used with the correct demod, but as far as i know, the broadcasting standard (S2 vs S) is independent of the modulation standard.

Can anyone help?

I'm not sure of the exact terminology but a DVB-S2 will definitely not work to tune the DishNetwork 8PSK signals. I believe DishNetwork and Bell are the only ones using the Turbo coded 8PSK signals in the US. They've used that during their claims of pirate receivers.

The only ones that will work are the Genpix boards, DVBTech, and of course the pirate receivers with turbo 8PSK modules.... not to be confused with DVB-S2 8PSK modules that some receivers have.

Dish also used turbo coded QPSK on some transponders.

Hate to bump this zombie thread again, but this thread popped up in my google search for some info.

I hope someone can chime in and help settle a discussion I'm having with a colleague.

Can someone point out the technologies that Dish/BELL uses for HD broadcasts in the following list?
DVB-S or DVB-S2
8psk or turbo coded 8psk
FEC or turbo FEC

My understanding is Dish uses DVB-S + turbo 8psk + normal FEC rates.
If I expand on this a little more, it means a regular DVB-S tuner with the correct demodulator that supports turbo 8psk and normal FEC rates can tune the signal.

My colleague insists that a DVB-S2 tuner must be used with the correct demod, but as far as i know, the broadcasting standard (S2 vs S) is independent of the modulation standard.

Can anyone help?

For HDTV:

1. DVB-S2 transmission signal coding
2. 8 PSK modulation (a digital to pseudo-analog process)
3. Turbo FEC (vice Viterbi FEC or Reed Solomon FEC)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)