8psk

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Let's quickly review why "Rod wasnt being nice":

I receive an email from goaeliebob99 saying how useful TSReader Lite is for mapping the transponder loading on Dish Network for SatelliteGuys.US and he could potentially help build 8PSK boards.

My reply says thanks for the info and FYI you're not licensed to use TSReader Lite. SatelliteGuys.US is a commercial site since it has advertising and plastered all over TSReader Lite are warnings saying it's not for commercial use. I'm happy to make it available for FREE to non-commercial users, but this case is not personal use.

Next email from goaliebob99 ignores the TSReader Lite issue, offers again to help with production and suggests a price for the interface and that I give away TSReader for free with the hardware.

So it's not really surprising I wasn't nice. I write programs like TSReader for a LIVING and have come to really dispise people that can't follow very simple licensing rules -- and it's not like TSReader is a $1500 piece of software. I also really don't appreciate someone else attempting to set prices for my products nor suggesting that I give anything away for free.

Rod

Rod excuse me for being ignorant, but I have not seen Goaliebob post anything from tsreader here and secondly anything he is posting he is not doing so for commercial purposes, nor is he getting paid for the work he does, he like the rest of the staff is volunteers.

Are you going to say the same about the other folks who do the same thing over at DBSTalk which is also plastered with ads?

It's what your software is used for and it does it well. I don't think anyone using it for any of the sites is making money off of it.

Now because of the above I do not see anything in violation of your licencing.

Bob is just someone who is very new and very excited about all of this stuff, he has a million ideas in his head and is just trying to make this hobby better for all even if sometimes he says something which other may consider being out of line. Its just part of his excitement.

We should be encouraging people like Bob who are trying to help others get more enjoyment out of the hobby. Not try to shoot them down for trying.

Now lets get things right ROD. This is the exact email, that i sent rod.. I never hinted about giving tsreader away with these devices. What I did hint at was sence he was harping about the TSReader lite Issue. was that if I helped him produce some that I would get a copy of tsreader out of the deal sence I would be taking A. My own time and resorces to help out rod B. To help bring the demand curb down. On the flip side of things.. I did end up Purchasing Tsreader out of my own pocket so Rod can sleep better. I purchased it from http://www.spamresource.com/catalog/p578666.html Hence it was an issue so there would be no Issue. The reason why I went to the source was becase its better to get it out of the horses mouth first than 2nd hand information.

<quote>

Rod, Were looking to make those usb 2.0 interfaces. I got a bunch of guys together who can do everything. Do you have schymatics and parts list for it? If your willing to share this info that would be great as we could also help you get some of the folks off your list.. Alot of people are excited about trying this as you know theres nothing avabile on the market. I was personally looking to charge around 299 for these units.. maybe we can work out a deal for tsreader for free or something </quote>

amongst my bitching moaning and groaning surpizingly I got another peice of the puzzle today. From rod :) I just hope that we all could laugh about this in the end.. but here is some info that I found from Happysat.org... that could help. This could be used to view 8psk transponders on Dish, and unencrypted dc2 sigs.

Basically I made a rich man's version of the DTVWorks/Skyseeker 8PSK solution. This consists of five pieces:

1. A Dish 6000 receiver with 8PSK adapter card.
2. A small hand-soldered board which converts the 3 volt MPEG bus found on the 8PSK adapter card to LVDS logic levels and outputs the signals on a DB-25 connector (compliant to the DVB SPI standard).
3. An EVS DVB SPI to DVB ASI converter (easily found, cheap on eBay).
4. A Linear Systems DVB ASI capture card (the expensive part at $1000).
5. TSReader.

There are probably cheaper ways to do it from scratch, but I had most of these items lying around from previous adventures, so I retasked them for this job.

Reply From rod...

Just like you, I used the EVS SPI->ASI adapter, a Linear Systems card and TSReader. But I also used an EZUSB microcontroller to talk to the BCM4500 and emulate the control protocol that's on the edge connector.

Cheers,
Rod

Last edited:
goaliebob99 said:
1. A Dish 6000 receiver with 8PSK adapter card.
2. A small hand-soldered board which converts the 3 volt MPEG bus found on the 8PSK adapter card to LVDS logic levels and outputs the signals on a DB-25 connector (compliant to the DVB SPI standard).
3. An EVS DVB SPI to DVB ASI converter (easily found, cheap on eBay).
4. A Linear Systems DVB ASI capture card (the expensive part at $1000).
5. TSReader.

Reply From rod...

Just like you, I used the EVS SPI->ASI adapter, a Linear Systems card and TSReader. But I also used an EZUSB microcontroller to talk to the BCM4500 and emulate the control protocol that's on the edge connector.

Cheers,
Rod

I might point out a microchip 16X or 20X processor and a little code found on nuts and volts magazine site also enables a USB port 2.0 compliant device. The Microchip also has an A/D converter and if purchased from mouser electronics, about 3 dollars. The compiler is free off microchip's website including lots of sample code.

I have a DV500 capture card and in my unix box I use a wintv with a brooktree chip set. They are around 25-50 dollars via price watch or ebay.
For those wanting to experiment for a much lower cost it is a great option.

I still think the 6000 and the 8psk card seems like alot and very limited.
But the effort is certainly worth it. :)

my two cents worth.

looking to the (software) future

So you are going to re-invent the wheel?

Without some sort of software support, it'll be a bit of a dead end.

If one of the DVB software packages could be made to think it's a "regular" unit (well, regular external USB unit in this case) the back end would go a lot easier.
Two ways are to either supply a driver like say the Twinhan Starbox, or maybe emulate the Starbox so an existing driver would work.
There's also a chance one of the authors of MyTheatre, ProgDVB, etc would support your stepchild.

And unless it looks just like Rob's design, I doubt TSreader will talk to it either.

But, maybe you're already ahead of me on these points... ?

Would this work for 8psk turbo FEC? Look at Modulation & encoding - looks like all the dn specs.?

hxxp:// cgi ebay com NEW-DIRECWAY-DW7000-MODEM-NO-CONTRACT_W0QQitemZ5828338182QQcategoryZ86717QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

First off, that link is hard to get working, so for everyone else, its an ebay item for a directway 7000 modem.

Second, no, sorry that wont work. If you look closely, its capable of transmitting 8psk turbo coded. Recieving, it will only do DVB-S2, which is not compatible.

Encoding

RX - DVB-S Convolutional with concatenated Reed Solomon,
DVB-S2 LDPC

TX - Turbocode FEC 1/2, 2/3 & 4/5
FEC at rates 7/8, 5/6, 3/4, 2/3 or 1/2 (188/204 bytes Reed Solomon format for DVB-S
TX - Rate 1/2 convolutional or Turbocode

Thanks.

OK, will someone make me a 8psk turbo FEC DVB PCI card for $200?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)