9/29/2010 2:01PM - Uplink Activity Report - 43 Changes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Dear friends,

As you might have heard our friend and the godfather of uplink reports JohnH has passed away. In a fitting way when we learned about John's passing the uplink software that JohnH wrote a large amount of also stopped working.

The code for analyzing the data is thousands of lines long and is was not very well commented by JohnH, so our uplink guru Digiblur has been working hard through the thousands of lines of code trying to find out where the issue lies.

Besides saying a prayer for JohnH, if you could also say one for Digiblur as well as he has been working hard trying to figure this out for the past few days. He has been doing this as well as dealing with his own personal and family issues. We hope that Digiblur can find the fix for it soon, so we can again bring you our automated uplink reports.

If your interested in todays uplink report, you can find it at DBSTalk.COM you can view today's uplink by CLICKING HERE.

Thank you for being SatelliteGuys!

RIP JohnH I learned a lot from years over these years. Thanks for all the uplink reports! I know that you are in a better place now. We will always remember you!God Bless you! Amen

Digi I know that you can do it! I will pray for you buddy! Thanks for the good work!

I'm curious as to how DBSTalk has a working version of John's code, while Satelliteguys does not!

RIP JohnH.

Good luck with the code Digi.

Curious as to what language it's written in?

I'll see if I can better explain things for you guys... I originally wrote the uplink software a few years back that involved a pull straight from TSReader. Everything worked great. But then Dish started the deal of reusing channel numbers that caused the data tables from TSReader to choke. So JohnH gave me his parser that took the data stream and spit it out to a format I could use. So the process was my app called TSReader, then called JohnH's code to process it to a format that was readable, then my app would load the data and process it even more to what I needed for the report. Then it would compare the data to start the process of posting it to the forums. It's a crazy little process that involves multiple pieces of programming. My code relied on John's for the data, and JohnH's app relied on mine to process it into a format you guys could read.

My app is written in Delphi and his was written in GWBASIC ;) And if you are curious... my app contains about 5000+ lines of code but that's not where the issue lies at this point.

I'm working on it though... it's just tough to go back in time to GWBASIC and reverse engineer someone elses code.

why is this thread on the uplink report section?

I'll see if I can better explain things for you guys... I originally wrote the uplink software a few years back that involved a pull straight from TSReader. Everything worked great. But then Dish started the deal of reusing channel numbers that caused the data tables from TSReader to choke. So JohnH gave me his parser that took the data stream and spit it out to a format I could use. So the process was my app called TSReader, then called JohnH's code to process it to a format that was readable, then my app would load the data and process it even more to what I needed for the report. Then it would compare the data to start the process of posting it to the forums. It's a crazy little process that involves multiple pieces of programming. My code relied on John's for the data, and JohnH's app relied on mine to process it into a format you guys could read.

My app is written in Delphi and his was written in GWBASIC ;) And if you are curious... my app contains about 5000+ lines of code but that's not where the issue lies at this point.

I'm working on it though... it's just tough to go back in time to GWBASIC and reverse engineer someone elses code.

Is it my computer or is this thread showing up where the uplink report for this week is supposed to be? Thanks

Is it my computer or is this thread showing up where the uplink report for this week is supposed to be? Thanks

If you look at the opening statement in the first post you will see that the uplink report is having a problem because one of the program writers has passed away. The second writer, Digiblur, is trying to work out the issues of why it has stopped working. Have a little consideration, please.....

Digiblur - I am one lousy programmer, but I know just enough to know what you're up against. Thanks for your efforts - greatly appreciated!

If you look at the opening statement in the first post you will see that the uplink report is having a problem because one of the program writers has passed away. The second writer, Digiblur, is trying to work out the issues of why it has stopped working. Have a little consideration, please.....

sorry and I apologize as I didn't notice that statement in the first post. It was an oversite on my part and I would never show disrespect under those circumstance and would be the last person to show lack of consideration and very sorry if I offended anyone in any way. My condolences and my prayers will be with the family. God Bless. cwk

Yet another example of how so many (us) depend on the hard work of a few (Digi, John ).

Thanks Digi and John (belatedly) - Talon Dancer

Only being here a few month I did not have the chance to know JohnH, but did admire his work with the uplink data. RIP JohnH as many has mentioned already. As for Digiblur, good luck sorting out JohnH's code. I know how much hard work it will take. Take it slow and easy, remember JohnH is watching from above.

I've programmed in COBOL for over 30 years and I know trying to debug someone else's code can be a bear.

Good luck Digi.

Haven't had much time this week due to other things going on... hopefully this weekend I will have quite a bit of time to continue working on it.

Trying to figure out where it is getting hung up is a pain without a real debugger to step through the code :(