$9.99 Welcome Pack will disappear 02/01/10

boba

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 12, 2003
Dorchester, TX.
If you have it you can continue as long as you make no account changes. If you want it sign up before the first.

Thats too bad, I know many have posted that they like this package for basic stuff and such

From what I posted last night.

• Welcome Packs No Longer Available – Effective February 1, 2010 – The $9.99/mo. Welcome Pack without Locals, the $14.99/mo. Welcome Pack with Locals, the $9.99/mo. DishLATINO Welcome Pack without locals, and the $14.99/mo. DishLATINO Welcome Pack with Locals will no longer be available to new customers or to existing customers who do not already subscribe to them. Existing customers who already subscribe to these programming packages may continue to receive them unless they change their programming or deactivate (and subsequently reactivate) their account.

I have a question. Can you change season ticket packages? I have both NHL and NBA but after htis season plan on keeping just NBA. I just recently changed to the Welcome Pack will I need to go ahead and drop the other season package now before the first? What about an adult channel? Since it is too considred a PPV channel do I need to keep it from now on or can they be kept / changed?

In my case I have a 722,522 and a 322 so right now I pay $14.99 for welcome pack and $21.96 in fees. So what will I pay now? I think it will be over $30 in fees for receivers that I own. I only use the 322 as a dual, the 722 and 522 are single mode. I use to have AEP and have downgraded ever year they have a price increase, I can't go any lower other than to remove receivers from my account. It looks like all the goodwill they had gotten from the "dish you a merry christmas" is gone and the grinch has rolled into town.

This whole concept of charging $17 for owned DVR receivers is ridiculous. Cable gets away with $10 - $20 receiver fees because that equipment is leased. I hope someone initiates a class-action against E* over these fees. I believe E* would have a difficult time in court explaining to a rational judge just how their costs are the same for an owned versus a leased receiver. There's got to be a judge out there who would not give a rat's ass that E* is trying to recover other costs by hiding them in this new receiver pricing structure, and who would stand up for consumers (regardless if these customers could deactivate/return these receivers, downgrade their programming, or switch to a different provider to obtain a monthly fee they find acceptable/affordable).

I have a question. Can you change season ticket packages? I have both NHL and NBA but after htis season plan on keeping just NBA. I just recently changed to the Welcome Pack will I need to go ahead and drop the other season package now before the first? What about an adult channel? Since it is too considred a PPV channel do I need to keep it from now on or can they be kept / changed?

I'm curious about circumstances such as those as well. They are not going to stop you from ordering Pay-Per-View (such as the Royal Rumble or a "block amount of time" on the adult channels, etc). I would say make any changes you wish to make now and be sure you want it because making an addition or subtraction will lose this package for you (especially in the event of a superstation, RFD-TV, Outdoor Channel or any other a la carte services) come February 1. Like you, I'm very curious about the season ticket sports packages. If I were sure I wanted NBA over NHL, I'd probably make that change now.

It is not against the law to charge a lot of money for a product. If people do not want it then they will not pay it and will not have the service or the items that costs that much.

I am contemplating activating an old receiver on the Welcome Pack just in case I ever want it again. Should get me a new smart card too...

I was thinking the same thing you are. It should be a frown, not a smiley.

Why would they drop this package? Not many subscribe to it? Or maybe more than they liked and they didn't like them staying with that package since they were hoping they would upgrade to a higher package again. They must have saw it as threatening to them and want people to have a minimal $25 package.

I wish they had that Pick 10 (whatever they called it).

No. Headline News does not come with this package. The only news stations I get are MSNBC and Bloomberg (Financial News). Of course, you get other political news covered by C-SPAN (if that is your cup of tea).

A word of warning to anyone looking to get this package or make an addition. Yesterday, I had decided on adding WWOR as it was something we had thought about adding for a while along with our other superstation (KTLA). After all, no changes after February 1, right? Anyways, I started the chat at work at about 3:15 ET. I made the simple request of adding WWOR and wound up answering why it was that I didn't at least want the Bronze package at least five times. Finally, when I think my request is filled, they start in about the Family Package being only a few bucks more. Another clarification on my part - actually several. Then he goes in about at least adding one of the movie packages such as HBO or Showtime (those being the two that were mentioned). I nicely stated that I would give it some consideration later and made that statement three times. After being questioned again, I lost it and told him that I simply didn't have time to answer all the crap and had wasted 50 minutes to make a change (by this time it was 4:05).

The moral of the story is to be sure and check when you get home. I got home to find that I had been upgraded to Classic Bronze with BOTH HBO and Showtime. And I still had KTLA but WWOR was nowhere to be found. I called DISH and wound up with a girl that was able to change me back to the Welcome Package and made no other sales pitch other than to suggest taking the whole Superstations package at $5 / month rather than paying $3 / month for KTLA and WWOR. I had suggested that I wanted WWOR for some Yankees games and she was also aware of the fact that WPIX showed some Mets games. I took her up on the offer. And she was also familiar with the fact that this package would no longer be available (unless you were already a subscriber to it) on February 1. She confirmed that any changes after that date to programming would change the basic programming package (although she wasn't aware of whether this affected the season ticket sports packages).

They were trying to pressure me to upgrade a package as well. They went as far as saying "why do you not want to upgrade" and stuff like that. I have not seen them trying to give this much pressure before.

They were trying to pressure me to upgrade a package as well. They went as far as saying "why do you not want to upgrade" and stuff like that. I have not seen them trying to give this much pressure before.

I faced the same exact question. I probably made my mistake when I got mad and closed out the window before actually getting a confirmation of the change I requested. :rolleyes:

Can the current Dish Network customers switch to the Welcome Package???

What additional fees do I have to pay and how much per receiver (basic receiver with no DVR or HD)????

I heard about this package, but never found any info about it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)