$9.99 Welcome Pack will disappear 02/01/10

You can get it before February 1 but, as described above, you may have to find the right CSR and you'll probably have to insist that you want it even then as they'll still try to sell you a higher pack. I own all of my equipment and this is what I was paying before adding all of the superstations - so it should only go up a few bucks.

$9.99 (Welcome Package)
$5.00 (Cincinnati Locals - I'm a "mover")
$1.50 (KTLA)
$5.98 (DVR Fee - this will be a flat $6 Feb. 1)
$5.00 (Fee for phone line not being connected - this will disappear Feb. 1)
$1.62 (Taxes)

$29.09 (Total)

** This does not include the annual fee for NHL Center Ice or the SD distant networks I purchase through AAD.

What additional fees do I have to pay and how much per receiver (basic receiver with no DVR or HD)????

I heard about this package, but never found any info about it.

No additional fees other than the DVR fee and the fee depending on how many receivers you have on the 1st. I have a multi-room DVR and the living room and the master bedroom are the two "main" televisions. I just have the guest bedroom wired to see whatever the master bedroom has on - this can also be changed as I have a remote for the guest bedroom. In other words, I have it wired under one receiver.

Here is more info / channel lineup according to what I have. I have received two PM messages telling me I'm wrong about it not having Headline News but I have never gotten that or CNN with this package. Here is what to expect for the core lineup (minus locals or any other programming you might have or purchase with the package):

84 - HSN
107 - Comedy Central
110 - Food Network
112 - HGTV
117 - TV Guide Network
120 - History
127 - Oxygen
128 - WE
130 - AMC
134 - Shop NBC
137 - QVC
139 - TBS
161 - MTV2
166 - CMT
175 - Boomerang
179 - Discovery Kids
183 - The Learning Channel
185 - Hallmark
203 - Bloomberg
209 - MSNBC
210 - CSPAN
214 - The Weather Channel

You also get any free preview channels, additional shopping channels and the public interest channels (TBN, EWTN, Colours, etc)

This whole concept of charging $17 for owned DVR receivers is ridiculous. Cable gets away with $10 - $20 receiver fees because that equipment is leased. I hope someone initiates a class-action against E* over these fees. I believe E* would have a difficult time in court explaining to a rational judge just how their costs are the same for an owned versus a leased receiver. There's got to be a judge out there who would not give a rat's ass that E* is trying to recover other costs by hiding them in this new receiver pricing structure, and who would stand up for consumers (regardless if these customers could deactivate/return these receivers, downgrade their programming, or switch to a different provider to obtain a monthly fee they find acceptable/affordable).

Here you go FitzAusTex, anybody can initiate one: How to Organize a Class Action Lawsuit | eHow.com

When you get it kicked off, see if Satguys will post a sticky for you, and start gathering names of people that want to be signed up members of the suit.

Im kind of glad this is going away as they where charging the dealers back whenever a customer downgraded to this package.

From what I understood, too many customers where using this as a way to ride out their committments and avoid paying the cancellation fee in 1 big payment.

Im kind of glad this is going away as they where charging the dealers back whenever a customer downgraded to this package.

From what I understood, too many customers where using this as a way to ride out their committments and avoid paying the cancellation fee in 1 big payment.

For E it likely improved their churn rate, since subs wouldnt cancel just downgrade.

although it had so few channels I wondered whyone would subscribe.

My aunt is so tight she squeaks when she walks. I got her a 501 sat receiver so she could finally see her locals and the Encore pack for westerns. She lives in an area of Arkansas surrounded by mountains and hills so no ota reception other than one snowy channel from Ft. Smith. That was before the digital transition. She was really happy she could see her soap on Cbs in clear digital . So when we got an email from DISH telling us for $3.00 more she could get over 20 miscellaneous channels from all the packs. So I convinced her it was better to pay for channels than the $6.00 basic no programming pack fee. She agreed and now she loves Home Garden Channel and many others she never watched before. She pays only $21.18 with tax included a month and NO dvr fees to have the Welcome pack & locals + Encore pack . I am glad that DISH is allowing those who have it , to keep it.

Would DISH allow me to reactivate my owned 501 and get the Welcome Pack?
Still have the Legacy LNB's. Anyone know which satellites this package is beamed from? No longer under contract. One receiver. Would return the leased 622. Thanks for your replies.

although it had so few channels I wondered whyone would subscribe.

I had the pack for a little. Just went back now that Caprica is starting on Sci-Fi.

It has some very good channels. Comedy Central, Food, HGTV, TLC, TBS were all enough to keep me entertained for a while. Plus you could add locals (even HD locals) for $5. Not bad for $21 with my DVR fee. If I only could have added SyFy and USA (Caprica, SGU, and Burn Notice) a la carte, plus HD access, for even $14 more a month, I would have gladly kept it.

The thing I most loved about the pack was the lack of ESPN. For the first time, I stopped donating $5/month to rich professional athletes I don't care about.

Would DISH allow me to reactivate my owned 501 and get the Welcome Pack?
Still have the Legacy LNB's. Anyone know which satellites this package is beamed from? No longer under contract. One receiver. Would return the leased 622. Thanks for your replies.

return lease box before feb 1st or pay 15 buck fee.

how long has the 501 been off line? it may need a new card and software upgrade.

this will save you the dvr fee

No additional fees other than the DVR fee and the fee depending on how many receivers you have on the 1st. I have a multi-room DVR and the living room and the master bedroom are the two "main" televisions. I just have the guest bedroom wired to see whatever the master bedroom has on - this can also be changed as I have a remote for the guest bedroom. In other words, I have it wired under one receiver.

Here is more info / channel lineup according to what I have. I have received two PM messages telling me I'm wrong about it not having Headline News but I have never gotten that or CNN with this package. Here is what to expect for the core lineup (minus locals or any other programming you might have or purchase with the package):

84 - HSN
107 - Comedy Central
110 - Food Network
112 - HGTV
117 - TV Guide Network
120 - History
127 - Oxygen
128 - WE
130 - AMC
134 - Shop NBC
137 - QVC
139 - TBS
161 - MTV2
166 - CMT
175 - Boomerang
179 - Discovery Kids
183 - The Learning Channel
185 - Hallmark
203 - Bloomberg
209 - MSNBC
210 - CSPAN
214 - The Weather Channel

You also get any free preview channels, additional shopping channels and the public interest channels (TBN, EWTN, Colours, etc)

These are the channels I need especially Food Network. I watch the local stations more.

Last edited:
If I am a current customer who do not own the receiver and sat dish, am I still qualify for this and what hidden fees do I have to pay???

I think they will let you get the package for a period of six months if I am not mistaken.

I've had the package since it was first offered, a couple of years now. If you get it before February 1, you should be able to keep it. However, if you then change programming after Feb. 1, you'll lose the welcome pack.

IF you own your receivers and you are not under contract with DISH , you can have the Welcome pack . If you don't change your programming for any reason after 2/1/10 , you can keep it.

I've had the Welcome Pack for a year now. I get all of our local stations in HD (you can't that with a roof top antenna here on Cape Cod). The variety of cable and public interest stations are fine - I've actually found that I tend to watch more TV with less stations than I did when I had Comcast with 200+ stations.
I originally paid $99 so I wouldn't be under a contract commitment but with that, I got free installation and 6 months later, Dish came out and installed (for free) a new DVR - again with no contract commitmenet and only $5.98 more per month. $22.00 a month is just about what I think TV is worth. I'll miss the
Cinemax for $.01 when that expires next month but I hope Dish lets me keep the Welcome Pack forever. As far as i'm conecerned, it's perfect.

I've had the Welcome Pack for a year now. I get all of our local stations in HD (you can't that with a roof top antenna here on Cape Cod). The variety of cable and public interest stations are fine - I've actually found that I tend to watch more TV with less stations than I did when I had Comcast with 200+ stations.
I originally paid $99 so I wouldn't be under a contract commitment but with that, I got free installation and 6 months later, Dish came out and installed (for free) a new DVR - again with no contract commitmenet and only $5.98 more per month. $22.00 a month is just about what I think TV is worth. I'll miss the
Cinemax for $.01 when that expires next month but I hope Dish lets me keep the Welcome Pack forever. As far as i'm conecerned, it's perfect.

Same here. It meets our viewing needs for the most part, and the price is reasonable. I'm sorry to see Dish discontinuing it for new subscribers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)