9 receivers, how?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

MrChicken

Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
I've got an oval dish run to a TERK BMS-58 (5x8) with 5 receivers connected.
I ordered 2 Tivo units which as I understand it will need 2 connections each, leaving me one connection short on the MS.

From researching on my own I've only come across 2 ways to make this work.
1. Buy a 5x12 multiswitch (big bucks, spaun $400+)
2. Put up another dish (I have an extra oval dish already, long story)

Are there other better and/or cheaper ways than those two?

Thanks...

Everyone correct me if I am wrong, but you could "casscade" (2) 6 x 8 switches. An installer was here today installing an additional DVR Tivo for my master bedroom and he was telling me about an install he had at a famous actors house (Forgot his name, but he was in National Security. The white cop with Martin Lawerence.) He explained that he had a 18 receiver install and he explained that he had to use (2) 4 X 8 switches to get it up and going.

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think Directv limits a residential account to 8 total tuners.

I think there is a such thing as a 4X16 multiswitch, but this is expensive.

Neutron said:
Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think Directv limits a residential account to 8 total tuners.

Newtron ,
i don;t think that matter we just install 9 receviers here a couple aweeks ago.
but i think this guy has 7 receiver but 9 lines.
why not go with a 5x16 Muilt-switch. that should get you your line need

Tyork

It may be the DISH Notwerk limit I'm thinking of then.

Definately go for a 4X16 or 5X16 multiswitch. You will eliminate a lot of headaches with this.

Enforcer said:
Everyone correct me if I am wrong, but you could "casscade" (2) 6 x 8 switches.
While you could could cascade two multi-switches, you must make sure that the multi-switches are labeled cascadeable. Remember, if it's a Phase III dish, you already have a multi-switch in the mix, and as I understand it, DVRs can only "see" through one multi-switch unless the others are cascadeable.

Ive used a zinwell 4x8 multiswitch to run 24 ird's from dtv for a local sports bar part #sam-4803 from applied telcomm or any local satellite parts store dlsus.com has this switch on sale for 34.99 each

Attachments

• zinwell config pic.jpg
    zinwell config pic.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 244
Just get another 4x8 cascadable multiswitch and connect it to four outputs from your current 5x8 switch. This will provide you with 12 outputs

You can also take 4 high frequency splitters, and connect to end of 4 runs coming from P3 dish. Run one leg from each splitter into another Terk (or other) 5x8 switch, and you will have 16 outputs.

Al

Update...

All, thanks for your responses, I appreciate that.

I called D* back and explained what is going on. They contacted the contractor and the contractor called me back.

They are going to use the 4 splitter method with (2) 5x8 Multiswitches (Aspen). I let him know about my two TV's that use the OTA and he said no problem, they will bring diplexors for the Aspen MS's.

I will be their first customer to ever need more than a single 5x8. The guy i talked to seemed on the ball, and said he would send one of his most experienced guys out.

Hopefully, late tomorrow evening I'll be able to report that it all worked fine.

I'm surprised that your contractor has never had to use more than one 4x8. I guess it just depends on the area...I'm in an area with a lot of people with biiig houses.

I'm also surprised that they are using 5x8s...generally 4x8s are carried since the 5x8s have such a high signal loss (on the OTA/CATV side) that they're not worth it.

Me too, he said he was based out in the country and people generally dont get more than 3 receivers.
My Terk 5x8 has worked well. OTOH, I am only about 10 miles from the stations.

I'm sure if Shaq called up directv and said I want 30 active recieveres, I'm sure they would say "ok" (Just my 2cents worth)

I know I have helped a variety of the cardinals players here get setup with 10 recievers. (Heck, I've even heard there is an NFL discount)

It works!

Ok here's what happened.
The installer showed and had his own idea of how to make it work.
He hooked up a Zinwell unpowered 3x4 MS to the existing 5x8 and connected the Tivos to it. That didnt work, the Tivos (model R10) failed the test of the satellite receivers, not seeing all of sats/transponders.
We moved the Tivos to the 5x8 along with HD receivers. The 3 "regular" receivers were put on the 3x4. That does work. That leaves me with 1 open connection on the 5x8, and one open connection on the 3x4.

The install is far less complicated (and less failure prone, I hope) than the proposed (4) splitters and (2) 5x8's, and works. OTOH, I wonder if this will continue to work in the future. As long as the regular receivers only need the one SAT (101?) I guess I'm ok.

Getting the Tivos dialed in was the most troublesome of the entire day. D* needs to do something about making that painless. The installer hung around for about 40 mins trying to get them dialed in and I finally just released him and finished it up myself later when they finally got through.
The whole thing, 2 wall drops, 2 Tivos, 3x4 MS, and trying to dial in the Tivos took the installer about 3 hrs. He did good work on the cabling and wall drops and outlet plates, even repaired a couple of poorly done connections from installers past.

All in all, I'm pretty happy, now if only these Tivos were not so dang UGLY!

I've seen a few celebrities accounts, and all the FOX NFL crew gets complimentary NFL Ticket (of course). Some lady in Texas had 26 IRDs, and it was funny the way they were labeled (Maid's room, Maid's room 2, Kitchen 2, Bathroom, Gym, Spa, etc.) D* in no way puts a limit on how many active IRDs someone has. Why in the world would they say no to money?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts