9 receivers, how?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Sure. Back in 2000-2001 when all the RCA DRD222RD's were going haywire with the 722 message, I worked a LOT of OT, and during that time I went pilfering through STMS, I looked up Adam Sandler, Dennis Rodman (and there was a EC who left a really nasty comment) Howie Long, Don Johnson, Tiger Woods, Faith Hill & Tim McGraw (who had a lot of adult PPV on their account, I don't know why though, Faith Hill is HOT). A co-worker of mine claimed to have talked to OJ Simpson (this was before the signal theft claim against him)

MrChicken said:
Ok here's what happened.
The installer showed and had his own idea of how to make it work.
He hooked up a Zinwell unpowered 3x4 MS to the existing 5x8 and connected the Tivos to it. That didnt work, the Tivos (model R10) failed the test of the satellite receivers, not seeing all of sats/transponders.
We moved the Tivos to the 5x8 along with HD receivers. The 3 "regular" receivers were put on the 3x4. That does work. That leaves me with 1 open connection on the 5x8, and one open connection on the 3x4.

The install is far less complicated (and less failure prone, I hope) than the proposed (4) splitters and (2) 5x8's, and works. OTOH, I wonder if this will continue to work in the future. As long as the regular receivers only need the one SAT (101?) I guess I'm ok.

Getting the Tivos dialed in was the most troublesome of the entire day. D* needs to do something about making that painless. The installer hung around for about 40 mins trying to get them dialed in and I finally just released him and finished it up myself later when they finally got through.
The whole thing, 2 wall drops, 2 Tivos, 3x4 MS, and trying to dial in the Tivos took the installer about 3 hrs. He did good work on the cabling and wall drops and outlet plates, even repaired a couple of poorly done connections from installers past.

All in all, I'm pretty happy, now if only these Tivos were not so dang UGLY!

You think the R10s are ugly? heh.

Anyway

It will work as long as your regular receivers only need to see 101. if D* ever moves your locals or soemthing like that to another sat then you are going to have to get a 4x or 5x something to cascade off the original. In Enforcer and My situation this wouldnt work as our locals ar enot on the core bird.

The proper way to do the install would have been with the power passing splitters to seperate multiswitches. I expect that you'll need a service call within the next 30 days....

Hopefully you'll prove me wrong, though.

(I've done a few "celebrity" installs, but being that they were within the last year, I can't give details.. :)

What problems should I look for?
I'm sure that the longer it goes, the less likely D* will want to fix it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)