921......again

John W

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Planet Earth
I got my first 921 last Wednesday it was DOA, it was replaced by Friday and that one couldn't read the smartcard. Dish sent me a new one for Saturday delivery, I hooked it up and it worked beautifully.

WOW what a picture on HD!

This morning I got up and turned on the tv to Discovery HD and everything was really green or really red. I thought ok its just the channel so I pulled up "Blue Realm" that I recorded and watched the day before from Disc HD. Same thing. I swapped to the other component input on my tv and swapped cables. still nothing. Checked the DVD picture into the component inputs and it was perfect. I switched the 921 to SD which goes through my s-video and the colors were correct. I went back to the HD mode and pulled the blue component cable and there was absolutely no difference in the picture. My Blue component output has gone bad and my tv doesn't take DVI so I can't even check that.

That's 3 bad 921's in 1 week.

I have seen a lot of software problems listed but I have had 3 hardware problems. I am jinxed.

Bob

I mean John

Crap John, sorry to hear about that, particularly since Mark will be shipping mine in the next few days. I hope to god he didn't get a bad run from the assembly plant!

If anyone will stick through things until they are worked out it will be Mr. Dish Depot! You are in good hands, but I'm sorry to hear about the bad turn of luck.

...but as your avatar proudly displays, you are a fan of the "Fighting Irish"! Keep the faith brother, I'm sure number four will be one with less bugs than most everyone else has! ;)

Man, I'm sure glad Bob didn't get those 3 units. We'd never hear the end of it.

Truly sucks for you though John, hang in there, the 921 is a pretty decent machine, if they can only fix the OTA for me, I'd be thrilled.

I love the machine it just keeps crapping out on me. actually I can still watch in SD. The HD channels look great even at 480i.

Through all that I have gone through Dish has been great. When I got home from work today there was a message on my answering machine from CJ at dish's exec offices and he apologized all over the place and gave me his own direct line. He even knocked a month off my bill which is pretty sizeable since I have AEP, HD pack, a few locals and supers. That adds up to upwards of $100.

The CSR's have been pretty good. I usually have some nice long conversations with them and they realize that I know a heck of a lot about Satellite TV so I don't get told bs.

Hang in there, it's gotta get better.

I've had a couple of the annoying minor glitches, but nothing major like what you've gone through.

I just wish they would throw some more resources at the tech department to help improve their quality. I don't know if they need to partner with someone else or what, but they seem incapable of delivering a stable PVR (The 510 is the closest I've seen them come, but that's only SD and only one tuner..... wholly inadequate for a primary receiver)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)