Tahoerob

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 10, 2003
Hayden, ID
Component vs DVI

I compared Component to DVI on the 921:

First of all the 921 WILL output to both simultaneously. However, at times when switching back & forth between video outputs on my TV, the component would be blank.

Well, hands down, the component WAS BETTER than the DVI.
PQ was better by far especially with color. The DVI color was more faded & washed out looking. Not what I expected.
Also, the component might have been a little sharper, but it could have been related to the color issue.
It was the same on all channels: HD, SD, OTA

Thanks so much for doing this I, as many others I am sure, am very curious about this. I just have one question which I am sure you must expect:
Were both inputs calibrated?
FREAK!

metallicafreak said:
Thanks so much for doing this I, as many others I am sure, am very curious about this. I just have one question which I am sure you must expect:
Were both inputs calibrated?
FREAK!
that, I found out is the problem.
my TV is calibrated for component via a DVD program
It was NOT calibrated for a DVI.
I am going to record the HDNet Test Pattern show on Thurs. (good to have a 921!!) and recalibrate for he DVI. Feedback on htis issue on other forums already suggested I do this & that the DVI should turn out better.

When is the HDNet Calibration Show? Hmmm this sounds like something that can he help with HD calibration... Didnt know HDNet had one.. Cool!

Actually the test patterns are on at various times. I just set a timer to record it at 12:00pm est Thursday on Channel 9422.

I guess I'm inclined to agree with Robert on the component vs. DVI comparison. I have the 921 hooked up to a Pioneer Elite 630HD TV. The Pioneer locks me out of any color or tint adjustment with the DVI connection. It does not look as vibrant as the component connection. The lack of color gives it a washed out appearance. I'm sure each television will handle this differently, but for now I'm going to stick with the component connection.

Mark

Do you have digital sets (LCD, plasma, DLP, etc), or is the TV doing a digital-to-analog conversion on the DVI inputs? It could be possible that the 921 does a better digital to analog conversion than the set.

That seems doubtful on a pioneer elite line though.

I guess each TV manufacturer handles the DVI input differently. I have a SONY KV-34XBR910 and my DVI input looks great. This set allows the adustment of all controls (color, tint, brightness, contrast etc.) while using DVI.

bytre said:
Do you have digital sets (LCD, plasma, DLP, etc), or is the TV doing a digital-to-analog conversion on the DVI inputs? It could be possible that the 921 does a better digital to analog conversion than the set.

That seems doubtful on a pioneer elite line though.

I have a Sony :CD RPTV.
I plan on calibrating after Thurs. HDNet test pattern program & report back.

How do you calibrate for DVI or Component?

Everyone is talking about calibrating for compnent or DVI but no one says how you do that? I have a Sony KP-57WV700 rear projection wide screen digital TV and the 921 connected only through a DVI-D cable. I have not tried connecting the component because Dish said you had to use one or the other and not both. Please clarify what you are all talking about.

Thanks

Hey TahoeRob and others. Been checking out DVI cables and there are several variations to choose from, not to mention quality. There are many cheap-0 DVI cables out there made for PC and LCD monitors, but I don't get the impression the quality of these is up to snuff for HD tv. Also, there are 3 types of DVI cables, DVI-D being the ones we need to use for our HD setups with bigscreen/LCD/Plasma etc. Also, the good cables are damn expensive. Monster cable DVI400's are about 100$ or so for the 3 meter versions. A bit less for 2 and 1 meter. Can you guys let us know what cables you were using? And if you know of any picture quality differences using different cables? I have a cheap-0 DVI-D Dual Link cable coming in soon from Ebay and I'll report how that looks. But the DVI input being the highest quality inputs possible, you'd think it would show a cleaner picture than Component.

My understanding is that the DVI is a digital transfer so if the bit get there properly then there would be no difference in the quality of cable. It is either on or off and at a 10 foot difference I would be supprised that there would be cable differences. I have a 20 dollar DVI cable wanting to be installed when my 811 arrives. Usually going with Monstor 100+ cables is overkill and over priced. The difference that one might see is corruption if bits get corrupted and I would expect some time of error checking in the signal itself.

I have a 60" GWII. I notice you have a 50GW. I will post my thoughts of my cable when I get my 811 in Mid January. (3rd appointment might be a charm.)

Just got my 4M DVI-D Single link cable in from FedEx and will try it tonight from my 811 to my 57HDX82 Toshiba.

It is from Pacific Custom Cable, $37 shipped 2nd Day Air.

I currently have it hooked up with component and the picture is very acceptable.

Hopefully this will only improve it.

I'll let you all know tomorrow!

I use the DVI and component cables at www.stores.ebay.com/hdtvsupply as they are tesed to 37 Mhz or 1080i before they ship.

A 6' component cable only costs $24 and a DVI is about the same

The 921 WILL output component AND DVI at the same time. That was how I was comparing. I just switched between video inputs on the TV set.

The trick is getting calibrated. The DVDs are good to calibrate the component inputs unless you have a newer DVD player with DVI output. Even with this the test patterns are upconverted 480p.

At least HDNet has a test pattern program that says that it is the same patterns used by them to calibrate their equipment!
The catch is either to have a D-VHS copy of the HDNet show, test the DVI output as the show is airing, OR RECORD the show if you have a 921. Thus I will be able to calibrate my DVI with a HD test pattern. I assume the SD channels will also look better or at least the same as the component output.

WeeJavaDude said:
My understanding is that the DVI is a digital transfer so if the bit get there properly then there would be no difference in the quality of cable. It is either on or off and at a 10 foot difference I would be supprised that there would be cable differences. I have a 20 dollar DVI cable wanting to be installed when my 811 arrives. Usually going with Monstor 100+ cables is overkill and over priced. The difference that one might see is corruption if bits get corrupted and I would expect some time of error checking in the signal itself.

I have a 60" GWII. I notice you have a 50GW. I will post my thoughts of my cable when I get my 811 in Mid January. (3rd appointment might be a charm.)

LOL, I had 2 appointments with DirecTV and kicked them to the curb for horrible service. After a bit of research I'm glad I did as DishNetwork has MUCH better technolgy for DVR and HD viewing. Anyways, Hey ROB, did you catch my earlier post regarding DVI Cables? Whatcha using man?

ocaddict said:
...........Anyways, Hey ROB, did you catch my earlier post regarding DVI Cables? Whatcha using man?

I am using a $8 (total cost!) DVI-I dual link cable purchased off Ebay!!!
It is really hard to know if any cable truly is better than another. I have seen comments that since it is digital, it is again really all or nothing. ALso, since I have a short run (it is a 2M cable), then allthat fancy Monster cable wrapping doe snot matter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts