921 failing

NightHawk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
My 921 recently began intermittent halting on playback of recorded shows. The halts last anywhere from 2 to 10 seconds. It's made it nearly useless as a DVR although as a sat and OTA receiver it still functions fine. Neither reboots nor power downs correct the problem. Anyone else experience this? I have been happy with the unit up until now by I'm thinking it's going to be a lost cause getting it repaired.

My 921 recently began intermittent halting on playback of recorded shows. The halts last anywhere from 2 to 10 seconds. It's made it nearly useless as a DVR although as a sat and OTA receiver it still functions fine. Neither reboots nor power downs correct the problem. Anyone else experience this? I have been happy with the unit up until now by I'm thinking it's going to be a lost cause getting it repaired.
Mine did that and then lasted about 2 months till the HDD died... replacement is doing fine though...

Did you mean a replacement DVR or HDD. The hard drive in mine is making noise now but I don't think the hard drive itself can be replaced, can it?

get dish in up and send your 921 back and get the HD PROMO upgrade and get the 100 back $10 for 10months send in redemption form but if you upgrade no way of getting the old hdpak if you get the Dish HD pack DISH BRONZE or higher

Last edited:
I'm a Platinum sub, what I meant was the programming ava in the old HD pack that the 811 and 921 get... the 622 does fine recording the mpeg 4 and flagged programming and I use the others to record the Mpeg2 stuff... was going to get a 211 but got a 4dtv sidecar and a HDD decoder to see what better bitrate HD looks like(C-band)

;) yup... they are clunky but... good second string Dvr's... I had some stuff I hated to lose on the old one... (Music from HD-net and Rave and Open Range)

I agree, good second string DVR.

I have a leased 622 also and so far I'm told I can't lease a second one.

I finally unplugged the 921 because the hard drive was making an intermittent high-pitched squealing noise. After 3 days I plugged it back in and it's working fine again. Used it all weekend. No noise, no halts.

It will probably fail again at some point however.

You can replace the 921 HDD, but you'll need to use Norton Ghost to copy the OS from the original.

There are 4 partitions on the 921 HDD. You only need to clone the 3 small ones.

Ghost can also backup the 3 small partitions to PC files (once the 921 HDD fails completely there's nothing to clone).

Sound like a lot of hassle? Dish would probably send you a replacment 921 for not must more then the price of the HDD. Call em and ask.

Now, you have to decide if it's worth keep the 921 alive. You probably have around 2 years before all Hi-Def goes to mpeg4.

The 921 could still be a nice replacment for a 50x or a 621. But it's not gonna hold a candle to any of the NBR receivers (522/625). But, since they are only giving back $100 for the 921 it might be work keeping (you could always keep the HDD and throw the rest away).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)