921 installation options

WildBill

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Florida
I am not an installation expert, so I want to check with the more experienced here as to my installation options.

I currently have a 6000 and a 301 receiver connected to a 500 twin and 300 dual legacy LNBs fed by two SW21 switches. I want to replace the 301 with a 921.

Option 1) As I understand from searching previous posts, if I am willing to run a second cable to the 921, the following setup will work: Replace the legacy lnbs with a DishPro twin and a DishPro single. Replace the SW21 switches with a DP34. Run two lines from the DP34 to the 921 and one to the 6000 using a legacy adaptor. Did I miss anything?

Option 2) Keep the legacy lnbs. Replace the SW21 switches with a DP44. Run a single cable from the DP44 to the 921 and use a separator to connect to the two tuners. Run another cable to the 6000 (no legacy adaptor required). If I use this option, can the DP44 be mounted outside?

If both of these options will work, is one preferable to the other in terms of troubleshooting or maintenance? Thanks for any feedback/corrections.

Bill

Your option two will not work. ALL DishPro switches require DishjPro LNB's.
Yes the DPP44 could be mounted outside.

Option one would be your best option to use.

Option 1 is the better option. You could use the dpp44 in option one instead of the dp34 to keep a single line to the 921, and you would not need an adapter for the 6000. However that just keeps adding more $$

You could also revise option two to say SW64 and run a 2nd line to the 921. This option would probably be less expensive, however getting rid of legacy equipment is better in the long run.

I've been frequenting this forum for a while waiting on the 921 price to drop and it finally has. Mine will be here Monday. I was planning on running the two cables from my Dish 500 right to the 921 and just having that as my only receiver. But if I can install this separator you guys are talking about, it sounds like I might still be able to use my 501 in conjunction with the 921 to feed another TV. What is this separator? It sounds interesting. I was under the impression you needed two separate feeds for the 921.

Hotrodr said:
I was under the impression you needed two separate feeds for the 921.
Pretty much true. It is necessary that they share the same switch or feed. Otherwise, the check switch wont do it's job in allowing the 921 to work both tuners.

Hotrodr:

The DishProPlus Separator can only be used with a DPP44 switch or DPPTwin LNB. It allows a single switch/LNB port and cable run all the way to the back of a dual-tuner box. The separator is attached to that cable and it's 2 outputs are connected to the 2 inputs of the dual-tuner box.

So, yes, you CAN run a single cable - but the price tag is pretty high. DPP44 runs around $200.

You say you have a simple Dish 500, so unless you've got a real problem with running cables, your best solution is to get a Quad LNBF. There's a small chance you already have one for a couple of different reasons - like the installer ran out of Twin LNBFs. ;)

Thanks for the info guys. Maybe I'll head up to the roof to see if I got lucky and have a quad. Something tells me it's not though. No biggie. I'll deal with the situation till the DP prices fall or I have a good reason to run a new cable.

Doing a check switch check or test on your receiver will tell you what kind of LNB you have. It will also save you the trouble of going up on the roof.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts