921 is a Disaster!

I'm waiting on a promised return phone call within 24 hours for 2 days now. JD Powers never asked me about DISH customer service. This is my second 921 since November '03. This one is making clicking noises and I even got the disk failure screen once before it totally died. The cutomer care rep said "they" would replace the crashed 921. I was almost hoping they wouldn't so I would be able to justify buying some real sat equipment.

Venting here.........

UPDATE: 4/30/05

It took 4 days for DISH to call the number I asked them NOT to call. I now have left a voice mail for them to call back at the same number I asked to be called in the firsrt place.

Does anybody have a feel how long it will take this time. It has now been 8 days since the 921 crashed.

WorkOutMN said:
CRB said:

"When I read threads ... harping over the lack of Firewire (get over it already)"

Get over it?

Tell you what. I'll make you some promises, you give me $1,000, and then I'll only deliver on about half those promises. Sound good? If not, then you need to get over it.

I don't consider the firewire out recording to be half the "promise" of the 921. And anytime I'm buying something with an input/output for "future use" I immediately see the red warning flag that feature may be dubious to perpetuity. Also boards, such as this, allow the savvy shopper to know what problems or limitations exist on new hardware prior to purchase.

WorkOutMN said:
Dish claims HD leadership while I got four more HD channels (INHD1 & 2, ShoW & HBOW) PLUS all my HD locals moving to Time Warner. Dish sells equipment that takes three months from release just to include some of the features originally promised, much less actually make the things work more than three days without a reboot. Dish makes hypocritical "pig" comments about cable just before they raise their own rates, just like they do every single year. Pay them $250 just for the "privilege" of leasing a high-def DVR? Well thank you, thank you, please let me get down on my knees and lick your boots and kiss your tail, your majesty Charlie.

My DISH experience has been good. My 921, and all my other DISH hardware, has served me well. Have many people had bad experiences with DISH? Judging by this board, without a doubt. The proliferation of cable horror stories would have me believe that it (cable service) is very much a mixed bag as well. Many people don't have the cable option. I'm glad you are happy there.

WorkOutMN said:
Why should anyone have to spend their hard-earned money and then "hope [they] get a unit that works"? It doesn't have to be that way -- when you leave DishWorld.

Nobody "has" to spend $1000 (or $549) on television recording devices of any kind, period. Anytime one outlays money on complex devices there exists risk. Witness the legislatures passing of automotive Lemon Laws. "It doesn't have to be that way..." Au contraire, to some extent it does have to be that way. However, you could buy from a retailer that will exchange a defective unit for a new one instead of being at the mercy of DISH networks "refurb" exchange program. Or buy from Costco and get your hard earned money refunded if the product is unsatifactory.

AND to the earliest of early adopters who bought the first 921 with a full "good faith" expectation of archiving high definition content to any firewire device: You pay your money and take your chances! You've been burned before and, almost inevitably, will be again.

921 joke

I recently purchased a dish 921 brand new on ebay recieved it in good time hooked it up today and the thing won't even turn on just makes noise from fan and hard drive has anybody else had this problem dish tech. says has not seen that problem before i find that hard to believe so now i guess i'll be playing that waiting game joke which they told me i would be recieving a phone call in about 24-48 hours we shall see! :mad:

cappy29 said:
they told me i would be recieving a phone call in about 24-48 hours we shall see! :mad:

I recieved my phone call to the wrong number again (home phone), but I fooled them this time. I was home to take the call. Actually, I am surprized that they were able to bring my 921 back to life, sort of. It is on life support and still is making clicking noises. I was told if it crashes again they would replace it. Of course they said the same thing 2 months ago. All in all it took DISH 4 days to respond with a solution. I did lose everything on the hard drive.

Rich - you might want to contact Mark at dbstalk.com. He is usually able to get your info to the 921 team and have them actually do something.

mwgiii said:
Rich - you might want to contact Mark at dbstalk.com. He is usually able to get your info to the 921 team and have them actually do something.

Thanks, I may just do that. My 921 crashed again this morning and appears to have passed away. :(

UPDATE It's official, my latest 921 is dead. DISH is sending me another soldier. I went ahead and ordered another dishfor VOOM while I had them on the phone, it'll be here in the morning. Why do I do this to myself?

921 is a disaster

921 is a disaster

what else is new
never get a new receiver within the 1st year from dish
learned hard 3 501's in a week
1st one hard bad out of box
second refurbed model made grinding noises and was laggy
third one died afer 3 new recordings
still got the 4th one works great

just complain and moan enought and youll get what you want
by the way the old 1.99 extended warranty is awesome!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts