921 Listed on Current Software Versions page

Tom Forness

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2003
Just checked the Current Software to see if the 811 has the new Software update listed yet( It doesn't). I noticed that the 921 is listed on this page now with todays date 12/15/03. Must be getting close to being available.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/customerCare/technical/software_versions/index.asp

'must mean that they have "shippable" code. 'no need to publically document code unless it is, or will be, distributed.

baloo75 said:
Anyone know what the "L" and "P" mean in front of the version numbers?
My guess is that L=Linux Based and P=the first letter in the name of the proprietary OS that they use on the 501, 508, 811, etc.

Scott,

I can't comment on 721, but I was told by Echostar Reps at CEDIA that 921 uses Linux.

That's just fine by me, it's stable, reliable, and inexpensive :)

Cheers,

BTW, I see P2.62 for 811 is available, has anyone gotten it to install yet?

I have, BUT don't get too excited !!

5 Aspect modes are added, BUT not quite correct yet.. screen doesn't completely quite fill out horizonally.

AND aspect modes do not function on S-Video output !!! (they cycle thru 5 modes but screen doesn't change)

Oh well, they tried !!

ScottChez said:
Are you guys kidding?

Is the 721 and 921 using Linux?

Yes the 721 is Linux based. You get a nice X-Windows cross and a booting DishLinux screen while it is booting.

LarryH said:
baloo75 said:
Anyone know what the "L" and "P" mean in front of the version numbers?
My guess is that L=Linux Based and P=the first letter in the name of the proprietary OS that they use on the 501, 508, 811, etc.

Good call.

If true this means the 322 and 522 as well as the 721,921 are all running Linux.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)