921 or not 921

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I dunno - I'm getting kinda fond of my "dead horse."

I hooked up OTA for the Olympics and it has been working perfectly. Every timer has fired, every program has completely recorded and pausing live TV is da bomb. What really impressed me was the other night when a big storm knocked out the SAT signal: my timer for the Daily Show fired, but the recording didn’t begin until about 6 minutes into the show – when the signal came back. So, rather than record 6 minutes of “Acquiring Signal” it was actually smart enough to wait until the SAT signal was present to start recording.

No, I’m not happy with the picture quality, but I seem to be in a very small minority with that. Otherwise, I’m very happy with the 921. I’d say there’s still some life left in Old Paint.

I'm good with mine... Box is stable. More thisngs will be working better as long as they keep upgrading the software. Sure beats using a 501 for PVR and a 6000 for HD.

As the real test. The 921 has already passed the all-important "wife test!"

My post, before I deleted it, was to ask how the 921 was doing and that I had a chance to buy one from a dealer.

I found a new post about the 921 and the 942. Do I trust Dish to take care of the 921 owners when the 942 is released (when, enter your guess here). No, I'm sorry to say, I don't and I have been a customer almost 6 years.

Comcast in our area doesn't support the HD DVR. I called a Direct dealer who is supposed to have the HD Tivo, they never called back. Went to Best Buy, HD Tivo maybe around Christmas. A call to Direct and Comcast left me feeling about like a call to Dish does these days.

I'll be sticking with Dish for now, my 811 is working well enough and I'll try to be content with recording SD on my 501. I waited over a year for the 921, then another 7 months for Dish to get the bugs out after it was released. Seems to have a long way to go.

Some of you seem to be satisfied with the 921 and some, many, don't.

I can wait a while more. I have a corner of my garage stacked with old black boxes, I'd hate to have to add a $1000 silver one a year or two from now.

The WIFE TEST is what concerns me the most. I'd be in real deep sh!t if she couldn't record her programs, the old 501 never misses.

Thanks for the input,
Lee

By the way, what antenna setup are you using? An old 500 here. My 811 wouldn't download the first update, had to take it to the dealer for the download, after that everything downloaded fine at home.

Update. Made the switch to DTV. Picked up a HR10-250 (HD Tivo) locally. Got a SD Tivo from DTV.

Lee

Do keep us posted on its performance as compared to the 921.
boy921,

I never did pull the trigger on the 921, kept lurking here watching the posts to see if the issues were being cleared up.

Almost a year ago I had my HT all setup for the 921. All the cables pulled etc....

See this thread in the DTV forum, this is probably not the place to post about my HR10-250.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=27786

It took a long time to finally make the decision to switch. I was missing a lot of HD, I timeshift almost all SAT/OTA programming I watch. The Olympics was the final straw.

When the Dish CSR switched me over to the 'retention' CSR I told her that the 921 was the reason I was switching. She seemed to understand and was very pleasant. Told me I could always come back.

Lee

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)