921 Q/A Hold Thread

ocaddict

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Atlanta
Hey guys. I've been wanting to pickup a 921 for awhile now. First there was a short supply of them due to high demand and low production. However now I am hearing bits and pieces of a Q/A hold on these receivers and they are simply unobtainable unless you get one from a scalper on ebay for an inflated price. Anywho, I'd like to see any feedback from peeps who may know more about what is going on with this? And maybe updates from "those who know" on when the Q/A hold is lifted.

There isn't any left on ebay anymore. Not that I would pay the extra money for one there. I could of gotten one 2 weeks ago from a dealer who posted here. He wanted 1150 with free shipping. I passed. $999 is enough to pay for this thing.

deathopie said:
There isn't any left on ebay anymore. Not that I would pay the extra money for one there. I could of gotten one 2 weeks ago from a dealer who posted here. He wanted 1150 with free shipping. I passed. $999 is enough to pay for this thing.

I completely agree my friend. In fact, it's TOO much to pay really. But considering no other receiver on the market can do what the 921 can, it is reason enough to command a premium price.

Is HD TiVo still supposed to be on schedule?

At the rate E* is going there could be more TiVo's on shelves the first day then E* have shipped in 3 months.

In any case, hopefully the TiVo release will light the fire under E*.

It would be nice to learn more about this QA hold. If it's software, hopefully supply will be better in the next week or so when the next rev is released (and, hopefully manufacturing has been ongoing).

I sent an e-mail to the "Tech Chat" address last week asking about availability and today I finally received a reply with a list of local dealers I could check with (like I hadn't done that already!) Not very helpful.

TBarclay said:
I sent an e-mail to the "Tech Chat" address last week asking about availability and today I finally received a reply with a list of local dealers I could check with (like I hadn't done that already!) Not very helpful.

LOL, I called about 20 here in the Atlanta location yesterday. NONE of them had any receivers or knew when any would be in. Several mentioned the Q/A hold on them. Guess that's what we get for living on the cutting edge of technology eh? :D (or should I say "trying" to live on the cutting edge)

Given how long they seem to have held up production makes me think that they have found another hardware problem (other than the blue line problem). Better to hold up production and fix the bug than to have to recall them all.

While I'm frustrated over the amount of time it's taking to get 921's back in the pipeline, I'm hoping this will mean a much more stable product when the supply resumes.

I thank all the beta-testers out there who are experiencing the fustrations with the 921....hopefully once the 921 is re-released it will be like...what 80% bug-free??? Anyway, keep the informative posts going.

--Shich

The 921 was release Three Months ago.

The price was set 6 Months ago.

Since then the 250 Meg Hard Drive price has dropped $100.

Will the lower the price once its re-released?

I emailed dish today asking what was up with the delays. I basically told them that if the 921 was on hold that we would understand, but that we would at least like a statement from dish acknowledging the delays in availability and an estimate of when they would be available again. Well soon after Mark Duffy of Dish Emailed me back with his phone number and told be to call him back to discuss the issue. Unfortunately I did not get home in time to call him, but I will Monday and let you know what I find out.

deathopie said:
I emailed dish today asking what was up with the delays. I basically told them that if the 921 was on hold that we would understand, but that we would at least like a statement from dish acknowledging the delays in availability and an estimate of when they would be available again. Well soon after Mark Duffy of Dish Emailed me back with his phone number and told be to call him back to discuss the issue. Unfortunately I did not get home in time to call him, but I will Monday and let you know what I find out.

Deathopie,

I've been anxious to hear your response from your discussion with Mark Duffy?

Two week delay,

sounds like about when the new HD Tivo with 4 Turners will start going to the regional wharehouses for then shipments to stores.

Dish is cutting it close.

Do you have any more info? Are they waiting for another software update? Something change in manufacturing? Is there a hardware bug waiting for bite us?

(Or does Charlie just not want to do another chat with people complaining they can't get a 921 and not having a good answer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)