921 Q/A Hold Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Yep-- people bash E* when they release a buggy product, and they bash E* again if they DONT release a buggy product.

Give em time guys, let them get it done right, and it will (hopefully!) be worth the wait. Im dying for one as well.

BobMurdoch said:
I have visions of throngs of subscribers with torches storming the gates in Colorado.......

I'll bring the Smores fixins.

In hindsight after having my 921 for a couple of months now, I am disappointed.

At first it was neat to say I had one of the first on the block. But I have to say that the HD content just isn't there yet. You can only watch so much Discovery HD. You can only stand so much Hogans Heroes or Charlies Angels.

Once in a great while, you can watch a decent movie on HBO, SHO, or HDNM.

Just don't try to record it. You may wind up with 2 or 3 parts of the movie with 5 minute sections missing because the receiver decided to crash mid-record.

Granted it is cutting edge technology. And you pay a premium for being on the edge, but chronic daily crashes, glitches and problems takes the excitement factor to near zero after a few weeks.

Does it justify the $999.00+. Its a tough call at this point. I would have to say NO. Maybe with the new release and bug fixes, it will be a more stable system. At that point it should be more attractive.

Until then, I would recommend saving your pennies.

Hey, you could probably sell it on EBay for $1300+ if you don't feel like sticking it out until things improve.......

Mark I agree 100% with what you have said.

In no way do I feel I got my monies worth from my 921.

I am also disapointed by the slowness of upgrades and fixes, Dish should have people in the UNITED STATES working on the software, not a bunch of Brits who work in a test lab.

yea considering all the software failures and hardware failures did anybody think to actually plug a few of these things into hd monitors and watch a few programs before they set the release date in dec cause it seems to me that it didnt take much to see how badly these thing screwed up in the begining but despite this i still want one when it come out again

Damn. Maybe I DON'T want my 921 then! LOL. Man, it's tough to be a techie/geek that wants to stay on the cutting edge of this stuff isn't it? I sold my 811 on ebay to help foot the bill for a 921 when available. Now the bastards that installed it say I have to give it back or reconnect it. I'm in HDTV/DVR limbo! HELP!!!! :no

We started on C-band in 1983 since we are surrounded by mountains and were unable to get a decent TV picture. In mid 1998 we got a 4DTV receiver and when the HDD-200 HD Decoder became available in 2001 we purchased one and enjoyed the HD channels.
We had all digital channels, but without any lag and they were clear.

In October of 2003 we got hit by lightning and lost the Decoder and did not want to spend $500.00 on a new one, so since the 921 was due out in a couple of months we went the Dish route with a 510 until we received our 921 in December.

I do not wait well (almost 6 months) and am hoping that they (Dish) start releasing the 921 soon as I do like the PVD and the bypassing the commercials and other nice features that are available.

Marv

Mark_AR said:
In hindsight after having my 921 for a couple of months now, I am disappointed.

At first it was neat to say I had one of the first on the block. But I have to say that the HD content just isn't there yet. You can only watch so much Discovery HD. You can only stand so much Hogans Heroes or Charlies Angels.

Once in a great while, you can watch a decent movie on HBO, SHO, or HDNM.

Just don't try to record it. You may wind up with 2 or 3 parts of the movie with 5 minute sections missing because the receiver decided to crash mid-record.

Granted it is cutting edge technology. And you pay a premium for being on the edge, but chronic daily crashes, glitches and problems takes the excitement factor to near zero after a few weeks.

Does it justify the $999.00+. Its a tough call at this point. I would have to say NO. Maybe with the new release and bug fixes, it will be a more stable system. At that point it should be more attractive.

Until then, I would recommend saving your pennies.

Mark,

Are you getting any ota HD? I've taken an interest in network programing now that prime time is in HD. Looks nice...even the bad shows.

fox

Scott Greczkowski said:
Mark I agree 100% with what you have said.

In no way do I feel I got my monies worth from my 921.

I am also disapointed by the slowness of upgrades and fixes, Dish should have people in the UNITED STATES working on the software, not a bunch of Brits who work in a test lab.

A bunch of Brits working in a test lab!
A bunch of Brits working in a test lab!
Well I tell you Sir I’m British, and I worked in a test lab, (made me wear a funny jacket with sleeves that went round the back) , and let me tell you we did a bang up job and still managed to go out every night and drink so much beer we would all wake up the next morning feeling like there was a horde Frenchmen living inside our heads.
No matter, Pubs opened a 11 am sharp. Just in time for lunch and a quick pint of Boddington's beer
My point ?
Well actually my point is Scott you are probably right, bunches of Brits are to be avoided around electrical things.
No matter I’m sure they get it right before Guy Fawkes Day !

I e-mailed E* to find out when the 921 will be ready, here is their answer

(Question)

Charlie,

What is the status on the Model 921 DVR receiver I am interested in
purchasing one. Will they be coming off the quality control hold soon? Can
you notify me when they do?

Thank you,

(Answer)

Thank you for your e-mail. The DishPlayer DVR - 921 System is available exclusively at participating retailers. It is not currently available through direct sales. Also, availability can not be guaranteed due to the demand for this new technology.

Please see the link below for more information on the DishPlayer DVR - 921 System. http://cscweb/departmental_content/content/sales/saleequisyst921.html

We currently have no information regarding upgrade promotions which may be available in the future. As soon as information becomes available it will be released.

Please stay tuned to the monthly Consumer Charlie Chat (this program usually airs on the second Monday of every month) and to our website's Press Releases page at http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir_site.zhtml?ticker=dish&script=400 to get the latest information on new technology offered by DISH Network.

Your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to www.dishnetwork.com or reply to this email and include all previous correspondence so that we may assist you promptly.

Sincerely,

Mel C.

DISH Network eCare

BOTWHORT, I am not making fun of the Brits. :)

Its just the fact that they have this test lab setup which emulates satellite and OTA digital broadcasts, and this lab is setup to exact specs, in no way does it emulate the way things really are here in the US

We get one station who does not program their data stream (psip) correctly and guess what does not work correctly... yes you got it the 921.

It must be fun, the problem happens here, then someone at Dish needs to figure it out and then try explaining whats wrong to someone in England and hopefully they can fix it from there.

BobMurdoch said:
Hey, you could probably sell it on EBay for $1300+ if you don't feel like sticking it out until things improve.......

I got $1,425.00 for my first 921 and had a $1,450.00 offer for my second one but I didn't want to sell it.

Anywho. I'll stick it through. I've already paid for my year of HD in advance. With the hopes of another software update in the coming months, if the spontaneous reset glitch is taken care of, it would almost make owning a 921 enjoyable.

fox200 said:
Mark,

Are you getting any ota HD? I've taken an interest in network programing now that prime time is in HD. Looks nice...even the bad shows.

fox
No I am not getting any OTA. I am about 75 miles from the nearest broadcast station. I just found out the other day that Channel 3 in Springfield Mo is broadcasting HD on channel 40. I haven't hooked my OTA antenna back up to see if I can get it or not. I am probably too far away. It may be a project for when I have nothing else to do.

Mark, KY3 has been broadcasting HD for 2 years now on channel 44. Channel 21 (PBS) is broadcasting HD at night and pbskids in day on channel 23. As for as 10,27 and 33 goes, they may not up there power till the end of next year.I'm so ticked off at them I just refuse to watch them.I have FOX distant channel so I watch nascar on it instead of 27.I don't qualify for the distant CBS or I would get CBSHD from dish. KY3 puts out a strong signal,with a good antenna and if your on a hill you might get it. I live about 40 miles from the towers and under a hill and I get both channels good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)