921 Remote Control Problem

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

phonebill

Original poster
Sep 13, 2003
I have had my 921 for two or three months. The remote will stop working after skipping commercials, then reversing to get to the program content.
After 3 or 4 minutes, it will work again for a short while.
I also have an extra remote, and the same thing happens with it.

I called Dish about this and they replaced the receiver, but the new one has the same symptoms.

I made an antenna out of coax that is 4 feet long. That helped but it still happens. One interesting observation is if I touch the remote to the exposed antenna, it will work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bill in WV

Sounds like you have weak batteries or too much local UHF interference where the remote antenna is located. Try a longer run of coax between the antenna and the receiver to move it higher & further away. You could also replace the little wand with a loop or bowtie antenna (with an adaptor).

I have the exact problem.

Batterys are good. Controls everything else in AV system.
I will moving the antenna to see if that helps.

Have new batteries, tried all suggestions, still happens. Made antenna into figure 8, seems to help a little. I actually got to to use it for 5 days without rebooting. ( unplugging it fixes the problem for a while)

Bill

921 remote problems

Well, as far as I can tell, it ONLY happens on OTA Local channels. Seems like because it doesn't have proper schedule info for OTA that the timing gets out of sync. The beginning will say there are only about 5 minutes left (when there's really an hour left) and when you get to zero time left during fast forward then the time left goes to like 1500 minutes. You can continue to fast forward but no matter when you stop it'll skip back to before zero time left which is near the beginning of the recording. This doesn't happen for all recordings. but when you start the recording playback and see that there's only 5 minutes left in it you know it's going to happen so I wouldn't even try to skip through any commercials. None of this ever happens on Satellite channels - only on OTA. It has nothing to do with batteries, distance to DVR, etc. Just a bug in the software. If anyone knows how to submit bugs to E* please either let me know how or send them this bug for me.

phonebill said:
I have had my 921 for two or three months. The remote will stop working after skipping commercials, then reversing to get to the program content.
After 3 or 4 minutes, it will work again for a short while.
I also have an extra remote, and the same thing happens with it.

I called Dish about this and they replaced the receiver, but the new one has the same symptoms.

I made an antenna out of coax that is 4 feet long. That helped but it still happens. One interesting observation is if I touch the remote to the exposed antenna, it will work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bill in WV
I don't think that it is your remote control. I think that it is data corruption within the 921. Have you done a power cord reboot? There could also be RF interference from some nearby source. What do you have around your video system that could transmit RF interference?

more research

I did some more research and it seems like the problem is happening only when I'm watching OTA at the same time as I'm taping OTA. I don't believe it has happened if I'm watching Satellite and an OTA times fires off. If I'm currently watching OTA and an OTA recording timer fires off then the sync gets corrupted. I've also has one scenario where the time left sync got corrupted but instead of less time (like 5 minutes left when there's really an hour left) there was more time (300 minutes left instead of 60 min) and it still works fine because it's when you hit zero minutes left ( or actually past zero minutes left) that it freaks out. So I try to make sure it's left on Satellite when I know there's an OTA recording that's going to fire off and then I don't try to watch it until it's complete done recording OTA. It's an inconvenience but until they get all the bugs out I guess I'm stuck with this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts