921 Update In Progress

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
When using the DVR functions a lot I still get an unknown rec 77UKN banner though, even with the upgrade, It happens when I go through my list of DVR events and try to manipulate them to much. The only why to correct it is to reboot. I have found that our 921s especially with old software don't like to multitask too much.This new bug fix is really helpful and great but I am afraid we need some more to make the 921 the turn key system it's supposed to be. I am confident that we will get it totally right someday.
Alex

jcd, my OTA seemed better after the download as well, but today was getting the 'channel not found' again. Haven't had a chance to do a reboot yet, but man, if I could just get stable OTA, I'll be thoroughly pleased with this unit!

The OTA is definitely more stable, but still needs more work.
This morning I tried switching to a OTA local after having it work all the previous night and the receiver locked up and rebooted.
At least it detects the lock up now and reboots. That should help with timers so you don't miss a show later down the road if a channel change freezes the receiver.
Right now I'm praying to god that it records just one timer. I will be out of town Superbowl weekend and I really hope the timer captures the HD broadcast without a hitch. If it manages to screw that up, I'll have to ditch all my Dish hardware and switch to a HD Tivo from DirecTV.
I've been a loyal Dish customer for many years, but if their hardware can't handle this, I'd rather own a unit with software I trust, TiVo.

-Jerry

It may be more stable most of the time, but It locked up Friday night so hard that a smart card reboot wouldn't fix it. Had to pull the power and everything worked again.

A_Noland said:
Does a self re-boot count. Last night I changed the channel from DiscoveryHD to HDNet. The screen stopped, then this white mesh grid thing came over the top of the picture with a + sign in the middle. It set that way for about 20 seconds then reset itself.
The same thing happened to me today. However I was changing the aspect ratios when it happened.

How long for intial SW load? + manual is incorrect

Scott Greczkowski said:
I just got a note from Echostar, after your update is done you need to do a reboot of the unit again for it to work correctly.

Give that a shot and you should be good to go.

How long is the update supposed to take? I have just finished hooking my 921 up.

I followed the instructions in the manual that says to do a Check Switch and then it would start downloading.

It immediately went to channel 100 so I figured the SW load was done.

Called DISH to activate the 921 and the guy told me that I had the wrong SW version and the instructions in the manual were wrong.
He said you do the check switch after the load.

He had me unplug it and plug it back in. After the DISH logo disapeared,my screen went black and in one inch of the screen, I could see movement from channel 100.

He told me that nothing will respond until the load is complete and it could take 2 hours.

I don't want to sit here for 2 hours only to find out that he had me reboot it wierd or something and have to start all over again.

So, how long does the intial SW load take?

Thanks for any help.

Joe

Joe Q said:
So, how long does the intial SW load take?

Thanks for any help.

Joe

A long time. 45 minutes to and hour for a First time load if it doesn't have to restart in the middle. You might be able to go to Menu,System, Software updates and see the status.

More news on OTA, no lockups for the last 5 days, looking promissing for Superbowl Weekend. (knocking on wood)

I tried setting up a few timers to record FOX and CBS HD programs and all fired without a hitch, so now I got a timer setup for Superbowl weekend. (24 ROCKS in widescreen even though its not HD, when is FOX gonna broadcast higher than 480p wide?) I am so glad FOX is not doing the Superbowl this year or we would be stuck watching another 480p broadcast!

I'm going out of town on a ski trip and won't know till Tues if it worked or not, hopefully I don't get screwed. Got the TiVo and the trusty 4900 setup as a backup, but I think I'll be pissed if I missed the HD broadcast, HD looks soooooo much better.

Another thing I saw messed up about OTA HD recording. The guide/timer info is all messed up! I setup the timer by going to the FOX local SD on my Dish guide and then changed the channel and saved it. (005-01) Then I went back into the DVR list and looked at the timer in the list. It showed Chan 005-01, Title 24. I looked above at the description, it showed Chan DVR 261, Title 24. (Wierd I thought) Went into the edit timer and it showed 005-01 as the channel. So I let it ride to see what happens.

After I came back when the show was done, I went through the DVR list and I was about to have a fit. 24 was NOT listed in the list, however, I did see some Religious show listed DURING 24's time slot, AND it listed Chan 261 as the channel it recorded. Man I WAS pissed when I saw this and almost deleted the recording in disgust. (Thank GOD I didn't delete it) I actually pressed play to see more proof of the mess up, and to my suprise, 24 popped up on my screen in widescreen. My jaw dropped, it actually worked! So in closing, the OTA recording works, but reports the wrong channel as being recorded even though it records the right channel. Anyone confused yet? So if you record the Superbowl, look for a religous show title in your DVR list before you freak out.

Don't you just love this receiver? I have a ball explaining to my friends how to work the receiver. There is so many ifs and buts. (Well it says "Religious something" but its really "24", just click play it'll work) They look so confused.

-Jerry

Superbowl recording a success! Thank god, I was really sweating it over the weekend thinking of all the ways my 921 would crash before and during the recording, but it worked flawlessly. Recorded all my programs without babysitting for 5 days in a row. I'm starting to gain some confidence in the OTA recording.

-Jerry

When out putting 1080i and 16x9 aspect I noticed the clean up feature doesn't work, anybody else notice this?
Ready for the next software update!
Thanks,
Alex

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)