921 verses 942?

Dan Berndt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
You can find a new 942 on ebay for about $600 and a new 921 for about $450. Reading over the specs I can't find much difference between the two. Is it worth paying an extra $150 for the 942 and, if so, what are the differences that make it worth it?

The 942 is more stable, has Dish Home, I think Name Base recording, and can output to a 2nd room. It allows HD PIP also, and has a HDMI video connector.

The 921 is older, and can still be buggy. It does have a DVI-I connector which can output Analog to a RGB/VGA connection (w/adapter). Dish likes to say that it will have Dish Home by then end of the year, but nobody thinks that it will ever happen. The 921 can do SD PiP, but no PiP if either tuner is tuned into a HD channel.

The difference is like night and day. The 942 WORKS like it is supposed to, does name based recording and can record 2 sat channels and one ota channel at the same time. THe pip works in hd or sd. In short you will love the 942 and you don't have to baby sit it for recording like you do the 921 .

I have two 921s that have worked pretty well. Never once have I lost a recording, or had a ZSR.

Im fact, one of them is for sale. Let me know if your interested.

The 942 can record two sat channels AND a digital OTA at the same time. Try that w/ the 921 :)

I have had a 921 and now currently have a 942. Take it from me, the self appointed expert in the comparison. :smug

The 942 has the $4.99 phone line fee if you use cell phone only or have wire issues...the 921 does not...

There is no phone fee because it only has one output, as implied by the (92) 1 vs (94) 2 for two different outputs. You either get HD DVI or component or you get S-video, composite, and RF.
Exception: you can output one stream of 480p on the "HD" side and 480i at the same time.
-Ken

Code:
                  [B]921                         942[/B]
Price (list)      $550                        $700 (new customer lease $250 + 5/
mo)
HD output         DVI-I/component             HDMI(DVI-D)/component (no RGB) [TV
1 only]
SD output         S-Video/composite/RF        composite/RF [TV2 only]
HD/SD switch      Yes but only one or other   No [TV1 only HD] [TV2 only SD]
Pause Buffer      2 hrs                       1 hr 
Tuners            2 sat & 1 OTA               2 sat & 1 OTA
Recording         Only 2 of 3 at same time    All 3 at same time 
NBR feature       No                          Yes
Remote            1 UHF                       2 separate IR & UHF
User Mode         Single                      Single or Dual
Monthly Fees      DVR                         DVR & Dual Recv 
Phone line needed No                          Yes (to avoid Dual Recv Fee)
Software          Buggy                       Stable

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts