301 Freezing

AndyOI

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 26, 2005
I have a problem with my Dish Pro 301 receiver. About every hour or so (it's completely random, but basically one occurance per hour) it freezes for about 10 seconds. It's gotten kind of annoying for me. I can live with it, but my dad is threatening to switch to Direct just to replace it and our other system. I'd rather not make that switch. Any ideas?

Have you tried a reboot of the receiver, while the receiver is on hold down the power switch for about 10 seconds. That normally solves any problems with my 811. If that doesn't work, unplug the receiver for about 15 seconds then plug it back in.

Good Luck!

does it get the "searching for signal" screen?

What are your signals on 110 & 119 transponders 11 & 12? (menu 6-1-1)

Normally the reboot trick works fine but Ive had a 301 go bad recently (signal would be at 110 then drop to 30 then back to 110 (it would do this about every 10 minutes or so)

OK I tried the reboot, the only problem is it's hard to test. Sometimes it will have a good day and never freeze but then the next day it will all the time.

I don't get the searching for signal when it freezes. The picture just stays on the moment it was on and the sound stops for those few seconds.

119:
transponder 11: 110
transponder 12: 105

110:
transponder 11: 80
transponder 12: 83

110 looks a little low but should be fine

is it specific channels or on any channel? (It sounds like a bad receiver)

Iceberg said:
110 looks a little low but should be fine

is it specific channels or on any channel? (It sounds like a bad receiver)

It seems to be any channel. I did the reboot today and have still seen it freeze once. I suppose it could be bad, so with this in mind, what kind of offer could Dish provide me for being a long term customer?

I could probably use 2 replacement 301s and a new 811 (or 211/411)

Van said:
Heres a question, do you have anything covering the top of the receiver completely?

Nope, all vents have room. The top and both sides are completely open

some other questions

-do you have another receiver hooked up in a different room?
-Is it just a Dish500 or is it a Superdish or two dishes?
-Any switches?
-Have you tried a new cable?

Iceberg said:
some other questions

-do you have another receiver hooked up in a different room?
-Is it just a Dish500 or is it a Superdish or two dishes?
-Any switches?
-Have you tried a new cable?

I have an older receiver in another room which works just fine.

It's a Dish 500 system with no switches. Has two lines which come out. Each one runs to the respective receiver.

It's a new 100' RG6 cable. I've had the same problem with the older cables. I replaced it when an outdoor connection rusted.

have you tried swapping out the receivers to the other room? Maybe one port of the LNB is bad...I've had one go bad a while back

RIRWIN1983 said:
eh i'd just make dish do all the work and find this out for him,

My question then would be, how much do you think dish would charge for a replacement 301 for a 5ish year long customer?

probably 50 bucks...I think kthats what they offered for me when my 301 went kaput

Been with them since 1999...I had a replacement already :)

RIRWIN1983 said:
eh i'd just make dish do all the work and find this out for him,

Rirwin do you want to pay the $99 service call if he isn't under a DHA/DHPP plan? At least hear we can give him some options before having to resort to that.

Andy

You said a connector rusted out? Was it on the LNB it self? If so that port may have corroded. I'd do as suggested swapping the receiver positions and see if the 301 quits doing it.

TheDishNetworkInstaller said:
Rirwin do you want to pay the $99 service call if he isn't under a DHA/DHPP plan? At least hear we can give him some options before having to resort to that.

Andy

You said a connector rusted out? Was it on the LNB it self? If so that port may have corroded. I'd do as suggested swapping the receiver positions and see if the 301 quits doing it.

It was not the LNBF connection. I connected 2 50' RG6s together outside with a weatherproof seal. The seal apparently wasn't weatherproof enough and rusted though. I replaced the 2 50's with a 100' now, but I'll still try switching the receivers and seeing what happens.

9/10 times they are on one

TheDishNetworkInstaller said:

Andy

Well to make it an easy fix: talked to Dish and after some hassling they offered to send me a free replacement 301 and a replacement remote for our other TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)