921 vs. 942

AJF

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
I know, I'm starting a thread about a product that isn't even released yet and which we know very little about. But, I'm on the list for a 921 and might want to wait for this new 942 . (Besides, it was only a matter of time before somebody started this thread anyway. :) )

According to the description Scott received at the Summit it's like a 522 and an 811 combined. So doesn't it have more tuners than a 921? Doesn't the 921 have: 1 SD tuner, 1 HD tuner, and 1 OTA tuner while the 942 has: 2 SD tuners (522), 1 HD tuner + 1 OTA tuner (811). It seems that you get an extra SD tuner AND the ability to output to another TV ?

Plus it runs on a newer chip and software AND at a hinted lower price. Except for not having an extra OTA tuner like the D* HDTivo which I know a lot of guys want, isn't it a step above the 921?

Anything you hear this early will be not much more than rumor. That out of the way, here's what I think.

1. The 921 was an experiment, just to prove that yes, it could be done (HD PVR). Some people have been lucky, or deep-pocketed, enough to get one.

2. The 942 will eventually replace the 921, assuming it makes it into real production.

The description you have is a bit flawed. Here's the comparison:
921: 2 HD tuners, 1 OTA tuner, 1 output.
942: 2 HD tuners, 1 OTA tuner, 1 HD output, 1 SD output.

Functionally, the 942 is a 921 with dual output capability, but running software based on the 522 design.

I think I got that right, having never actually seen or touched either one of them.

Reasonable, pepper, but to touch it up -
921: ... 1 output at a time - either SD or HD
942: 2 outputs 1 SD, 1 HD - watching different things
(this last is STRICTLY my speculation, but fits with using the 522 platform)

My question is why is it a 9 FOUR 2 instead of a 9 TWO 2?

I guess I still don't have a good grasp of how the 921 works. How does it tune to non-HD channels without an SD tuner?

Also, as far as the probability of the 942 being an actual product, it's reportly already in testing phase and, here's an interesting twist; Don Landis posted on DBSTalk that while having problems with his 921 ( thanks to their screw-up ) a CSR offered to replace it with a 942. Now it seems that the CSR's are always the LAST to know about a new product and it wouldn't make much sense for them to offer one if not available.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=27799

The tuners (Sat & OTA) can process both SD & HD.

Maybe you missed rule one of litening to a CSR. Do (or believe) the OPPOSITE of whatever they say. There's no way the 942 is anywhere near ready for release.

If it were, and priced less than the 921, the existing 921 customer base would go to Englewood enmasse and tear down the building with their bare hands. Then we would file every lawsuit they could think of. There's already the possibility of class action consumer fraud over the DishWire debacle.

Also the 522 isn't just 2 output, it's 2 tuners.
So I think it's called the 942 because it has:
2 HD tuners + 2 SD tuners which adds up to the "4" in 942
with 2 outputs which is the "2" in 942

The people that have 921's now and paid $1,000 or more are going to be pissed whether a less expensive unit comes out now or a year from now. Not to mention a unit that is also more flexible and hopefully more stable. I think Charlie would like to dump the 921 ASAP for the following reason's:

Less expensive box = more customers ( especially when less $ compared to D* )

921 based on older 721 software. They're STILL trying to work the bugs out of the 721, why add more boxes with the same problems.

942 based on current new DVR software and chips. There will still be bugs to deal with but at least many can be fixed across the platform.

It's not like they have warehouses filled with 921 inventory to get rid of.

Like you said, the Firewire liability.

Sadly, you're right - although a fair percentage of us would be OK with it under at least 2 conditions: They keep working on the 921 bugs, and the 942 doesn't come out so soon as to make us 'early adopters' look like total fools for handing E* $1000 for no damn reason other than helping finance our own obsolesence.

And of course, if the 921 could at least use an external hard drive, that would help A LOT. Content protection does NOT stand up as an argument considering how trivial it is to yank the HDD out of the box. If the data we're already getting is safe, it's safe. If it isn't it isn't - it's nothing to do with internal/external - except of course to the A$$H0!E$ with 2-digit IQs at the MPAA that are just totally clueless.

The 942 is meant for you if you have a need for a DVR to serve two monitors simultaneously, one HD and one SD.

The 921 is meant for you if you just need one output at a time, either sd or HD.

You can buy a 921 now, you will be waiting for some future time for the 942.

There are no real rules for the nomenclature that are consistent. Only changing opinions, best not to read anything into the model number.

People who worry about being screwed because they bought as an early adopter and paid more than a person who waits and buys technology that is more advanced, and lower cost need to get a life or move to another planet. You pay the price for being first so get over it.

Will E* continue to offer software upgrades to the 921 after the 942 is underway? If they don't who except a real dummy would ever buy a 942? The real question is how quickly will they offer the software upgrades. Look to the 721 history for the answer. The track record here is not good, IMO.

AJF said:
Also, as far as the probability of the 942 being an actual product, it's reportly already in testing phase and, here's an interesting twist; Don Landis posted on DBSTalk that while having problems with his 921 ( thanks to their screw-up ) a CSR offered to replace it with a 942. Now it seems that the CSR's are always the LAST to know about a new product and it wouldn't make much sense for them to offer one if not available.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=27799
The 942 is not ready for production. I spoke directly with Tom who is the one who is in charge of the 942 project. I was told that they only got the 942 working 2 days before Team Summit.

I will be doing a full writeup on the 942 soon (hopefully today) and I will talk about everything that was told to me about the 942.

I am hopefull when I write my review of it that people will email Dish and let them know that 1 OTA tuner on the 942 is a bad idea. :) Lets hope we can make them fix this now before it goes into production as I can see that being a major issue when its released.

Don Landis said:
There are no real rules for the nomenclature that are consistent. Only changing opinions, best not to read anything into the model number.
Actually, (and this is not public knoledge until now) Dish is replacing their entire receiver line later this year, ALL of the units with have a 4 in the model number. And it has nothing to do with the number of tuners it has. So a 311 will become a 341, 322 a 342, a 522 upgrades will be a 542.

Look for announcement on these products around the September.

I'd be very interested in one of this boxes if current customers could get their hands on one for $250 or less, fat chance on that one huh

Scott Greczkowski said:
I am hopefull when I write my review of it that people will email Dish and let them know that 1 OTA tuner on the 942 is a bad idea. :)

While two OTA tuners would be nice, the need is reduced since for most people the SD output can get OTA from the SAT LIL.

One big gripe of the 921 has been in inability to output both HD and SD at the same time. For me sometime I want to watch and archive OTA HD (while editing out commercials). Currently, I have to watch SD to do this.

The 942 in single mode solves this problem.

I'm in the camp of believers that the 921 will get pulled from production when the 942 is completed.

Thanks for the replies guys.
I was hoping you would chime in Scott and divulge more of what you learned at the Summit. Those two posts cleared up quite a few questions.
But now I have another;
the number "4" designation that will be added to signify the new model line, if it has no bearing on the number of tuners, what will be the major change (improvements?) to the new line be ?

I'm in the camp of believers that the 921 will get pulled from production when the 942 is completed.

I am inclined to agree with this statement. When I asked Jim Defranco about when Dish will ramp up producting on the 921's so we can fill our waiting list, Jim made it sound almost that production will not be ramped up.

It would not surprise me in the least to still have people waiting on our 921 waiting list when the 942 is released.

AJF said:
Thanks for the replies guys.

the number "4" designation that will be added to signify the new model line, if it has no bearing on the number of tuners, what will be the major change improvements?) to the new line be ?
As far as I know the units will all have DishComm technology built in so that the boxes can all talk to each other over the powerlines. The plus for this is you don't need phonelines connected to all your boxes, instead only 1 box will need a phoneline, when the other boxes need to dial out they will do it over the powerlines to the unit plugged into the phone line. (And features like Caller ID will be available on boxes not hooked up to a phone line)

The Dish COMM also will let you transmit audio over powerlines to a DishComm reciever so you can listen to Sirius anywhere in your house.

There is the possibity with Dishcomm that you may be able to transfer DVR recordings from one unit to another as well. Those plans however are not promised or finalized.

My guess was that the *4* series of boxes may have additional compression technologies built into them such as Windows Media 9. By upgrading to this technology Dish will be able to offer more with higher quality that they now provide. Now I am only saying this as a guess. When ever I mentioned Windows Media 9 at the show, no one would talk about it.

Also the technology is getting better all the time, they will be able to offer these boxes with more features at a lower cost.

"We don't hold back like other sites, we are proud to tell it as it is!"

Alright Scott, what else do you know :) ?
What is their expected release date on the 942 ? Just blurt it out, no matter how fanciful you think it is. What's the deal on the 522 to existing subs? When and how much $ ? WE WANT MORE!!!!!