922...actually a SoloDVR w/sling. Does that warrant a $15/mo premium + $200-$400

jaj1701

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 12, 2005
Rochester, MN DMA #153
The 922 no longer has the traditional 2nd room out. So no more taking RG6 to another TV (or to the rest of the house for that matter) and changing channels with a 2nd UHF remote.

By definition to this point, a receiver with 2 tuners but no 2nd room functionality is a HD SoloDVR (like the VIP 612).

So, point #1. This is an HD SoloDVR with new software and a bigger hard drive

Point #2. It is Slingloaded. Sling service has always been $0/mo with an upfront cost of hardware.

So, thinking that this is a NEW Receiver, with new software, functioning as a SoloDVR and a service that has always been free and $200-$400 is the discounted price for a LEASE upgrade (new - existing customers), hence covering that upfront cost of the sling chipset and the larger hard drive......which leads me to question.......

Why are they charging a $15/mo premium to add this to an account????

Where do I come up with $15/mo? Assume this will be a 2nd receiver....for argument's sake instead of hiding the fees as a first receiver.

The DVR Free goes from $6/mo to $10/mo $4 MORE I will give ya that this has or will have some extra features....a browser, etc. But Sling functionality should not be used in the argument about why $4 more a month is fair, as it's always been free. Are the other extras worth $4 more? Maybe not at release, but maybe after some more development.

A 2 tuner SoloDVR (like the 612) is $10/mo. They want $21 for the 922 SoloDVR w/sling. $11 MORE Doesn't that seem a bit rich?

.....but you can add HDTV extenders! Ok, yes, that give you HD in another room. But you have to pay for yet another piece of hardware. Will there be a monthly fee for each HDTV extenders? How much will the cost of hardware be? How many can you add off of one box? If you had 3 rooms that you would have feed with 2nd room output, your talking 3 HDTV extenders.....and still stuck sharing the same tuner.

I understand they have R&D to pay for, but you have that on any DVR. The existing line is a number of years old, so they needed to be working on something anyways.

Will the Sling add on box for existing VipDVRs incur a monthly charge as well, as again, your adding a FREE service to an existing box? If so, what?

Just my thoughts on the situation. I realize no one is forcing me to buy one. Still, doesn't mean I shouldn't look at what I'm paying for something and why. I personally would LOVE 2 922 receivers and I would do it if it meant paying a $10/mo DVR fee and $10/mo for a SoloDVR fee on the 2nd 922. I still wouldn't thrilled about the additional $4/mo DVR fee unless there is enough additional, non-sling, functionality added to the 922 to make it worth while (like Slacker access, etc).....and I would be patient about them adding services....as long as I knew they were working on it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful that Dish bought SlingMedia, and are adding that and other items to their DVR.....I just am not sure they are charging a fair price for it between the upfront LEASE fees and monthly charges.

You thoughts?

---------------
also...
---------------

I'm still baffled as to why the Room 2 functionality had to disabled from a technology stand point. Will it be turned on in the future?

Will the 922 ship with only one remote or two?

---> moved (actually reposted) from wrong forum.

Last edited:
I am starting to question my need to switch to dish. I have been waiting for the 922 for about 6-8 months to switch. But in light of the changes made in the last few weeks to the 922. I may just upgrade to a hr24 and stay where I am at. Hopefully someone will state if sling-tv2 is a temp thing or that's the ways its going to be.

I believe that TV2 will be enabled in the future. I think they are releasing it this way just to get it out the door.

When ROOM2 and Sling were enabled (and if it's enabled again), what were the viewing rules??

Assume the 922 has the OTA module.

If Room 2 was watching SAT2, Room 1 was watching SAT1....what could SLING watch?

A mirror of what ROOM2 is watching on SAT2??? Could SLING change the channel, hence changing what ROOM2 is watching?

Be able to watch either OTA tuner?

How many recorded shows can be watched at once assuming you have 2 rooms and the sling enabled?

Thanks.

Question: Since a 922 would be considered to be the most expensive receiver on the account (assuming one 922 added to an existing account), wouldn't Dish move it to the primary receiver role and "eat" most of the extra costs for a 922? That's what they did on my account, the 622 that I had as secondary was moved into the Primary slot when the new fees went into effect, so my 211 is "only" $7/mo extra like it was before instead of the $17 for a Dual DVR.

Question: Since a 922 would be considered to be the most expensive receiver on the account (assuming one 922 added to an existing account), wouldn't Dish move it to the primary receiver role and "eat" most of the extra costs for a 922? That's what they did on my account, the 622 that I had as secondary was moved into the Primary slot when the new fees went into effect, so my 211 is "only" $7/mo extra like it was before instead of the $17 for a Dual DVR.

Your absolutely right, I'm sure they would. That's why I said "Assume this will be a 2nd receiver....for argument's sake instead of hiding the fees as a first receiver."

Yeah, it would only have the full affect if you had two 922s on the account, otherwise you wouldn't see the $21 receiver fee. If it wasn't for the fee, I might have considered two 922s as a new customer. But with that fee, no way. Having no need for SD 2nd room functionality, I'll put on a 612 or a 211 with EHD as my 2nd and beyond.

If you had 2 922s instead of 2 722s your fees would be:

$10 DVR fee (instead of $6 or +4)
$21 second receiver fee (instead of $17 again +4)

So your costs would be $8 more to have 2 - 922s vs 2 - 722s. The advantage would be 4 HDTVs instead of 2 HDTVs/2 SDTVs.

If you wanted 4 612s to get all 4 HDTVs HD you would end up with:

$6 DVR fee (save $4)
$30 receiver fees (3x$10, cost +9)

2 - 922s would cost $5 less/month. Of course you give up the number of different shows you could record with 8 tuners in 4x612, but you gain advantage of having consolidated recordings.

6 HDTVs 6x612 vs 3x922s:

DVR fee -4 for 612s
Reciever fees $50 vs $42 +8

so 612s run $4/month more.

Essentially the 922 gives you HDTV to more TVs at about the same price of 612s. It is more expensive than the 722s if you can live with SD on some TVs.

If you had 2 922s instead of 2 722s your fees would be:

$10 DVR fee (instead of $6 or +4)
$21 second receiver fee (instead of $17 again +4)

So your costs would be $8 more to have 2 - 922s vs 2 - 722s. The advantage would be 4 HDTVs instead of 2 HDTVs/2 SDTVs.

If you wanted 4 612s to get all 4 HDTVs HD you would end up with:

$6 DVR fee (save $4)
$30 receiver fees (3x$10, cost +9)

2 - 922s would cost $5 less/month. Of course you give up the number of different shows you could record with 8 tuners in 4x612, but you gain advantage of having consolidated recordings.

6 HDTVs 6x612 vs 3x922s:

DVR fee -4 for 612s
Reciever fees $50 vs $42 +8

so 612s run $4/month more.

Essentially the 922 gives you HDTV to more TVs at about the same price of 612s. It is more expensive than the 722s if you can live with SD on some TVs.

2nd room SD is worthless to me, so I'd never have a 722 or 622 on my account.

The 922 does not give you two rooms of HD unless you buy sling hardware. That isn't an option for me as the sling is for PC and remote use......and can't be tied up for 2nd room use.

2nd room hd support not via sling on the 922 is like EHD on the 222....I'll believe it when I see it....if I ever do.

Therefore, in terms of 2nd room HD support, a 922 is just as worthless as a 612. For me, the calculations stay the same.

To be truthful, I might actually put 211k's in the other rooms with EHD.....but that's not an apples to apple comparison, so I didn't mention it.

..........but, sincerely, thanks for your view of things. For some, it may be applicable and very valid, just not for me. And when/if the 922 does support 2nd room HD, then it gets to be a tough decision! :)

Thanks again,

Jason

I noticed this from the purchase agreement that is now shown when you order new service online.

"SlingLoaded DVR
(922) receivers support 1 TV and contain 2 tuners."

They are no longer calling it a SlingLoaded Duo DVR as I think that they did in the past.

They also note a charge of $17 when it is a secondary receiver.

According to Lt Disher in another thread, it is offically stated that it supports 1 TV and the DuoDVR nomenclature has been dropped. Also, the $21 receiver fee reported earlier appears to now be $17.

If that $21 receiver fee reported earlier was what they were going to charge when the TV2 output was enabled........will they raise the receiver fee on us when/if they re-enable it?

I still want ONE!

i just went through training on the 922 and my trainer said it is a 1 tv box. tv 2 is for sling/remote access. if they want the second tv we can connect it but it's a mirror of the sling. so you can have a tv 2 especially if you don't plan on using sling/remote access. at least thats what the power point said

How did it show the connection for TV 2 on the power point? I assume that would be the optional sling part thats been spoke of to connect to a second HDTV.

it may be intentional so people will need a slingcatcher. more $$$$.

I think you may mean the NEW and improved (compared to the slingcatcher) in home all TV solution introduced at CES called the Sling Receiver 300.

"The Sling Receiver 300 is a companion to a SlingLoaded™ set-top box such as the EchoStar SlingLoaded 922 HD DVR that can deliver an HD DVR's full HD video stream to any other television in the home using a home network, eliminating the need to run cables or purchase a second HD DVR."

I think you may mean the NEW and improved (compared to the slingcatcher) in home all TV solution introduced at CES called the Sling Receiver 300.

"The Sling Receiver 300 is a companion to a SlingLoaded™ set-top box such as the EchoStar SlingLoaded 922 HD DVR that can deliver an HD DVR's full HD video stream to any other television in the home using a home network, eliminating the need to run cables or purchase a second HD DVR."

Anyone know if there will be a delay when using the remote with the 300 on a second (bedroom) TV like there is with the Slingcatcher? The delay is really annoying to me!

Thanks!!

I knew they had a trick up their sleeve!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)