922 and Harmony Remote

bob_stan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 22, 2010
Upstate NY
I found the remote setting to enable IR on the 922 and programmed my Harmony 1100. It worked fine all night. This morning, it would turn on the 922, but couldn't use any other functions. Dish Remote worked fine. Later in the day, I reprogrammed it - still didn't work. Changed the Harmony programming to a 722. All functions worked. Later in the day, everything stopped working. The Harmony will always turn the 922 on and off but that's it. Any ideas about what could be going on?

A little more testing and here is what seems to be happening. The IR remote does not work until the box has been on approximately 22 minutes. Then it works fine until the box is turned off for a while. With my little electronics knowledfge I suspect there is a bad component or solder joint( do they still solder stuff?) that only makes contact when some component(s) heat up. I think I may need a new box. Any other thoughts?

Do you have a LCD TV? A lot of LCDs will give IR interference until they warm up.

You beat me to it. This is exactly the symptoms of a LCD TV. I bet that is what the poster has. There are some fixes if this is the case. Do a search for LCD interference and you'll see what to do. Or of course you could get a plasma and junk the LCD ;)

Did the search. I must be honest and confess I didn't believe that the TV could be the problem. I had been using the Harmony 1100 for several years with a cable box, same tv and tuner and had no difficulty. However, with your suggestions I verified that the 922 changed channels just fine if the tv was off (I could hear the channels through my tuner). I covered the IR sensor with a piece of an old floppy disk and no more problems. Thanks for your help. I never would have suspected the cause.

I'm so glad you found the problem. Hopefully you know that I was just messin with you. If you need any more help please come back! We are a good team here...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)