922 antenna extender?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dwarren2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
Rochester, NY Region
I am considering the upgrade to a 922. However, I had to relocate(extend) the antenna from my 722 to get the uhf remote to work. With the 922 having a different thread on the antenna for TV2, has anyone come up with a way to do that to a 922?

From what I can tell, not so far...
satelliteguys.us/dish-vip-922-support-discussion-forum/257130-tv2-remote-antenna-boost-922-a.html
(I can't post URLs yet)

I'm having my 922 (free, of course, that's why I've held off) installed Saturday. My house was built in the 50s and is all lathe and plaster, and I have TV2 UHF backfeeds on both of my 722ks. The remotes don't work without them because of the brick and metal in the walls, so I'm kind of worried about my 922 TV2 remote.

I'm annoyed that Dish doesn't have a good solution for this problem. I live in New Mexico, and the walls in my house are 1.5' thick adobe. Dish has a part number to extend the antenna, but to my knowledge, it's not accessible to the technicians, or the public yet.

I made my own solution. to get me by until they release something better. The antenna operates at a frequency that our normal RG6 will support (2.4ghz). I made my own rigged RG6 extension cable. The antenna will push onto a regular barrel connector, and hold just fine. On the receiver end, it's a bit more tricky. I stripped back the jacket, and dielectric to give me just enough center conductor to fit in the connector perfectly flush, then I took the shielding, and put it over the outside of the connector. I wrapped this with foil to shield it even more, then secured it with a clamp to make sure it was snug. Even with the antenna extended, I couldn't get reception 20' away in my bedroom (it has to pass through a total of 3' of adobe walls).

So, tonight I made a parabolic reflector for the antenna. It works great now!!!!! Here is a link to make your own out of a can:

Extend Your Wi-Fi Range With a Parabolic Reflector | PCWorld

It's not super pretty, but once I secure mine to the wall, and dress it up, it'll work great for me!

I've wanted to do that with an old Plus dish in my storage unit. For wifi. I hope I don't have to resort to this for my 922.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts