922 Feature Request

hedbert

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
Apple Valley, MN
I am posting this in hopes that it makes it to Dish Network.

TV2 output with a Digital QAM encoder!!

With more and more homes with more than one HDTV I think this would be HUGE!! We can always add something like the ZvBox 150 to make this happen. But if this was built in it would be the answer to a ton of users questions and needs.

Thank you for your time and I do seriously hope this happens.

I dont think this one is going to happen. The hardware for the 922 is done, all that remains is finishing and polishing the software. :)

The 922 hardware is basically the same as the 722k receiver, with a few slight changes.

Hedbert, this is a topic that's been visited and re-visited mannnnnnny times on this and other boards, going back to the 942 days. Yes, it would be terrific to have the TV2 output in HD via either ATSC or QAM - that would make whole-house HD distribution a snap. In fact, E* used to make a receiver (the 5000) that DID output in ATSC.

However, the studios would have a collective heart attack if this ever happened, and the reason is unrestricted distribution. If you could output unencrypted HD video over ATSC or QAM, you could easily record said content on a computer, and then upload it onto the internet for anyone to see for free. If E* allowed this, but WITH encryption, you would still have to buy or rent a STB to unencrypt it at TV-2 for viewing, so you may as well buy a 211 for TV-2 and pay the monthly fee.

My opinion is that it's way more likely you'll see HD distribution via ethernet (to another E* STB or a proprietary "Slingcatcher"-type device), than it is you'll see HD distribution via RF.

Brad

Dish is ready for that - each DTVPal had internal smart card, so there is no problem to secure the ATSC distribution.

The DTV Pal is a standard-definition box, of course. If you meant the DTV Pal DVR, yeah, that MIGHT work. But, that's a $250 STB, so you still might just as well rent a 211 instead.

If E* really wanted to, they could make a "client" box for TV-2 that would receive and un-encrypt an ATSC or QAM signal from the main DVR. The question is whether or not that would make economic sense for them to do so.

Brad

I just want them to offer a numerical keypad remote as an optional feature--I like the "thinking outside the box" approach that even offers a touchpad remote, but I know the commands I can do with a set of numerical keys will be much faster than using a touchpad.

Remote with numerical keys

I just want them to offer a numerical keypad remote as an optional feature--I like the "thinking outside the box" approach that even offers a touchpad remote, but I know the commands I can do with a set of numerical keys will be much faster than using a touchpad.

Definitely agree that touchpad is not a replacement for numerical keys.

I am not part of the group testing 922's, but after seeing the Tech Forum demo I was coming here to see if anyone was having trouble without number keys. I noticed them having troubles trying to enter numbers during the demo. Using the analogy of PC computer programs and the use of the mouse, I've seen lots of programs making the mistake of not offer key strokes for common features but only mouse clicks. For those comfortable with a keyboard (or a remote keys), you can do things a lot faster that way rather then trying to move a cursor on a screen.

Definitely agree that touchpad is not a replacement for numerical keys.

I am not part of the group testing 922's, but after seeing the Tech Forum demo I was coming here to see if anyone was having trouble without number keys. I noticed them having troubles trying to enter numbers during the demo. Using the analogy of PC computer programs and the use of the mouse, I've seen lots of programs making the mistake of not offer key strokes for common features but only mouse clicks. For those comfortable with a keyboard (or a remote keys), you can do things a lot faster that way rather then trying to move a cursor on a screen.

I'm playing with one and I would prefer a keypad. It's also easier to navigate with a mouse(which does work on the 922) instead of the pad.

Is there any news if Dish will be offering a number key remote also? I know the wife would hate having a remote without numbers.

And also how about controlling the second TV. What kind of remote does it use?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts