922 help

Tmmgmc

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
Chicago
on my second 922 in two weeks. first one rebooted all the time and anytime I used second remote would reboot. New one no remote problems but reboots all the time again. I have changed the way its connected to my tv from hdmi to component as I have read in other posts didn't help. My receiver is in an open area so heat shouldn't be a problem. I need help with the rebooting I don't want to replace it again.

I am a tech and all the vans in our shop were stocked with 922's last week. A day later, all were recalled for software issues. It probably is another bad 922.

We were told this week that the receivers were replaced with good ones and the vans restocked. We have only installed a couple since so we have no idea if the problem is really fixed.

its just hit and miss no way to be sure its a good receiver until it is installed or not. imo the 922 was/is the biggest disappointment to dish network we have seen in a very long time. The fancy GUI is nice but nothing with a 922 that cannot be replicated with a much more reliable receiver in the 722 with a sling adapter and external hard drive

Just installed my 922 last week. The sling function is working fine now, but I'm not getting any online content via Dish on Demand or Blockbuster Movie Pass. When I access the DVR menu screen it's not even showing up. Any ideas besides a bad box? I had to update the software and Sling firmware right out of the box so I don't think that's the issue.

satnewb said:
Just installed my 922 last week. The sling function is working fine now, but I'm not getting any online content via Dish on Demand or Blockbuster Movie Pass. When I access the DVR menu screen it's not even showing up. Any ideas besides a bad box? I had to update the software and Sling firmware right out of the box so I don't think that's the issue.

BB movie pass not supported on the 922. :(

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I installed a 922 for myself. One thing I don't like is if I put in in single mode, it disables tv2. Kinda weird, I know the 722k just mirrors tv1 on tv2.

I installed a 922 for myself. One thing I don't like is if I put in in single mode, it disables tv2. Kinda weird, I know the 722k just mirrors tv1 on tv2.

NO! It does NOT disable TV2. I found out the hard way after hunting through the menus after the installer left, that the 922 is DEFAULTED at Shared View OFF. This means that in Single Mode, any TV's connected to the Home Distribution will see BLACK.

You have to enable Shared View to have TV2 display the mirror in Single Mode or to see the independent TV2 experience. You have to enter the Menu, Settings, and then from there I forget, but you should find the correct sub-menu and option.

I think it is REALLY STUPID that the 922 defaults at Shared View OFF. It really stumped the poor installer that day. I think this was done back when they had TV2 Duo function DISABLED thinking that subs could use the Sling without setting up annoyances with people who were viewing TV2 in the next room. Dish should default the 922 to Shared View ON. Makes more sense, no? Or at least there should be a big bright colored insert in every packing box or a sticker on each 922 (like the HDD warning sticker) that if order for the 2nd TV to see video, Shared Viewing must first be enabled, especially since my installer who had only installed a few know nothing about the default.

Last edited:
Count myself lucky my 922 has been behaving well as I just got mine a few weeks ago. One thing I've noticed is that it seems to take the 922 longer to boot up, or at least during the daily updates. It can seem to cycle through a few boot-ups for longer than any other Dish box I've had (even up to 10+ minutes sometimes), but just when I think it might be stuck in a never ending cycle, it finishes and goes into standby. It operates VERY well in spite of that. I am chalking that up to 922 behavior, it has NOT been a problem, but yes, even a forced soft RESET can see the box go through maybe 3 cycles, but it always comes back to stand by before too long.

Last edited:
The hdturbo blue light on the front of receiver is always on is that normal.

Yes, the blue TurboHD light is on in standby, at least on my box. I kind of like it. At least I know it is getting juice and in standby. I know others may despise it, but I like indicator lights.

Last edited:

You have to go into the main menu to get the online stuff, it is not in the DVR menu. I'm not at home right now but I believe the icon says Dish Online. Once you have downloaded something it will show up under rentals in the DVR menu.

Yeah I had some time to mess with it on Sunday and found it in the menu screen. Right now everything seems to be working properly, last time I checked I was able to sling to my computer and Android without issue. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

The problem I have is dish is sending my third 922 in a week and half. First one would reboot when ever I turned on tv2. Second one reboots four times a day and several hours at a time. Hope the third one is good when it comes tomorrow.

The problem I have is dish is sending my third 922 in a week and half. First one would reboot when ever I turned on tv2. Second one reboots four times a day and several hours at a time. Hope the third one is good when it comes tomorrow.

Well its ether 3's a charm, or 3 strikes your out!!

Another thing I noticed is the tv2 set up was weird. If I was standing in front of tv2, and pressed the sat button, nothing happened. I finally went into the system info screen at the rcvr, pushed sat on remote 2, and it beeped. Then I went back to tv2, in the basement, and was able to access the menu functions and set up the remote without issue.

I only set up one for a customer before doing my own, but I don't recall having to go through that same process. Just went to tv2, pressed the sat button, it beeped, and I used the on screen menu to finish up.

What would cause the receiver to reboot randomly and not turn back on until you unplug it from wall?
My 922 rebooted for several hours I did not see tv on it again untill I unplugged it plugged it back in.

What would cause the receiver to reboot randomly and not turn back on until you unplug it from wall?
My 922 rebooted for several hours I did not see tv on it again untill I unplugged it plugged it back in.
Lots of things *could* be a cause ... you'll want to keep track of the occurrence to see if you see anything happening each time..

Common things causing lockups .. heat, signal issues, firmware bugs (though less likely) .. if you have the OTA module even more potential with both heat & signal problems.

The initial booting issue ... any discussion of power? do you get brown outs (lights flicker, etc)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)